General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

Advice on Youtubing as a business

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Sophie E, Sep 4, 2019.

1. billybob99

billybob99 UKBF Regular Free Member

1,249 293
    That's what I was thinking.

Views = £££ but doesn't want the views.

Probably thinks one of us will nick the idea and copy it.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  2. billybob99

1,249 293
    Not a lot on this forum.

Speak for yourself.

3. Savvy_Phill

Savvy_Phill UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 5
    Views don't = money, so you're wrong

Ad clicks = money

I'm getting 20,000+ views a day, I'm not concerned about four random people on a forum

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: Savvy_Phill Member since: Mar 18, 2019
  4. BusterBloodvessel

BusterBloodvessel UKBF Regular Free Member

169 64
    I put myself through the boredom of one of your videos waiting for something to happen. It didn’t.

It’s a nice idea to think of these relatively few “influencers” that are travelling the world making a living. But so far, why would I want to watch one of your videos? I can see videos of some fish anywhere. No interaction, no background info about where you are or why you got there. It’s just the modern day equivalent of the tedium of sitting looking through someone else’s holiday snaps.

I watch plenty YouTube videos - stuff about classic cars where I learn history of particular models or how things work. Food bloggers (think along the lines of man v food), I get to see behind the scenes in restaurants and diners, or I see them explaining recipes or trying to recreate them. Travellers showing the journeys they made by foot/bicycle/cramped and overcrowded public transport to find some obscure lesser visited spots or to find local attractions, delicacies, see locals working in their small business or how they live and get by in their home country.

I’m not sure what you think you’re offering.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: BusterBloodvessel Member since: Jan 22, 2018
  5. billybob99

1,249 293
    You must be. That can be the only explanation for calling yourself savvy phill.

6. ecommerce84

ecommerce84 UKBF Regular Free Member

584 181
    That depends if you’re looking for advice or viewers.

This is a largely male dominated forum, there’s a pretty girl in the profile pic, and there’s a link on her profile to her videos......!

I watch a fair amount of YouTube but it consists of retro gaming, videos about Kiribati moving from one side of the international date line to the other and videos about non league football.

All of the channels I subscribe to have engaging content and are well presented and put together.

Other than travel is there anything else you’re really into that you could create videos about? As mentioned above, travel vloggers need to be on the move all the time and recording all the time. I doubt it’s as enjoyable as many would imagine.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: ecommerce84 Member since: Feb 24, 2007
  7. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,641 1,105
    I’d say most successful businesses are keen for people to know about it

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  8. ComPropSolicitor

ComPropSolicitor UKBF Regular Free Member

203 32
    I must agree with others who aren't feeling the content you have already. That doesn't mean you cannot improve it but I wouldn't come back for more personally. I am sure there are courses you can do in this sort of thing now (probably, degrees). The youtube personally is very distinct in its own right in my mind you have it or don't. Like I said before, Eamon and Bec are the perfect example of for me of two great personalities doing this already.

Have a watch of them and compare to your content.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 By: ComPropSolicitor Member since: Feb 1, 2019
  9. billybob99

1,249 293
    He did put "successful" in inverted commas to be fair.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 By: billybob99 Member since: Apr 23, 2013
  10. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

31,097 9,134
    And the plan of action needs to be adding new videos of your travels. You need well edited videos from all the places you visit. One per week will be enough to start with. As you develop your film-making skills you will get better at script writing, camerawork, editing, sound, lighting and all the other things that make a video successful. Give it a couple of years and you might start enough getting followers to generate enough money to pay for a coffee.

Like others, I watch all sorts of videos on youtube. The channels I follow are those that either inform or entertain and do it well. I reject more than I ever bookmark.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  11. Sophie E

Sophie E UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 0
    Guys thank you soo much for your comments both positive and negative it means a lot to get this info. I totally understand the negatives though but bear in mind I am "totally" new to this and that was my first evert time of doing anything so at least it's a start.
    Regarding a vloggers forum I did try to look for one before I joined here but couldn't find any is anyone able to recommend one for me please or is that over stepping the mark?
    Thanks again I really am taking all this in and not just going with what I think and disregarding everything else as I want to achieve something. Sophie x

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 By: Sophie E Member since: Sep 3, 2019
  12. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,095 290
    Best of luck.

I watch a lot of YouTube, some very clever people on there, sharing their various passions.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  13. Nord20

Nord20 UKBF Regular Free Member

512 117
    Hi Sophie,

my two cents:

1. Not many people make serious money from youtube, but all the ones that do actually got off their butts and did it - and they all started by making their first, not very good, video. You've started, so you're ahead of 90% of potential wannabe-influencers. Most never even make one video.

2. I sense that you may be looking for a career that can fund a 'different' lifestyle. Please be under no illusion: you will need to work many, many more hours, for significantly less money, for a considerable amount of time before you have any chance of making any proper money. This is not an easy way to fund a 'travelling' lifestyle. First and foremost, you must have a love of the production cycle itself, because that's your bread and butter and what you are going to be spending most of your time doing. Whilst everyone else is on the beach, you'll be in a tiny hut, with crappy wifi, trying to edit 10 hours of footage into a 5 minute video. You are not a traveller: you are a technologist. You will need to spend most of your time producing videos and keeping up to date with trends, so keep your videos fresh and appealing. You will spend very, very little (if any) time actually enjoying the places you visit.

3. Travelling in particular adds an extra dimension of difficulty to being a successful youtuber. No nice studio at home for you, with all your expensive gear safely setup in one spot. You'll need to cart everything around with you - it will get lost, broken, stolen, etc. Plan for this.

As a starting point, and to hone your video production skills before you quit your job and starting spending serious cash on travel expenses, how about you set yourself up as a "youtube travel vlogger reviewer". Watch as many videos from as many travel vloggers as possible and start reviewing them - make videos of your reviews (people might find that interesting, and you might start getting the attention of some of the vloggers themselves. At the very least, it will give you incite into what you like to see, and what you don't, so you can begin to formulate your own video toolkit.

You have certainly chosen a hard path to make a success of....but everything worth doing is difficult, or everyone would be doing it :)

Most of all, what have you got to lose? You're at the right point in your life, where you have a lot more to gain than you have to lose.

Best of luck to you.

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 By: Nord20 Member since: Mar 8, 2011
  14. Sophie E

15 0
    Wow thanks I get the impression people think this is a VERY hard thing to get into so I will just have to persevere like I am being told. Thank you soo much for your time to reply I will add this advice to all the above xx

Posted: Sep 5, 2019 By: Sophie E Member since: Sep 3, 2019
  15. Savvy_Phill

Savvy_Phill UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 5
    Head over to YT talk forum (put it in Google) for real advice from YouTube creators.

If anyone wants any YouTube advice - PM me

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 By: Savvy_Phill Member since: Mar 18, 2019
  16. Sophie E

15 0
    Thank you soo much I a joining there right now! x

Posted: Sep 6, 2019 By: Sophie E Member since: Sep 3, 2019
  17. britcoin

britcoin UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 2
    What's your channel? Do you make any money at the moment? There will always be money to be made from YouTube. Not just from ad revenune but sponsorship and endorsements etc.

You're young, if you have no responsibilities and a bit of savings, I would say go for it. Plan a 6 month round the world trip and film it all. Keep your uploads regular and of good quality and see what happens! If you're still not making money 6 months later what have you lost? At least you can say you gave your dream a fair shot, you took your chance. And you'll have the job with your dad to fall back on while you think seriously about what next step to take. But in my opinion regular uploads and building momentum will be a big part of your success, so the best chance you have is to make it your sole focus. Good luck!

Posted: Sep 9, 2019 By: britcoin Member since: Aug 30, 2019
  18. sumisbeat

sumisbeat UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    Hi,

Unless the channel or your id on YouTube platform will not be verified or BLUE TICK account none of your visitor will have trust on your profile and contents. It is unfortunately a bare necessity. I can do it for you. For that we need to talk. If you are interested then mail me at sumisbeat at gmail dot com. I will guide you the best one. Assured.

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 By: sumisbeat Member since: Sep 8, 2019
  19. Ally Maxwell

Ally Maxwell UKBF Regular Free Member

325 106
    Sounds legit ;););););)

Posted: Sep 11, 2019 By: Ally Maxwell Member since: Nov 6, 2015
  20. Dotzo.networks

Dotzo.networks UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 0
    yes, it works.you just need to increase the audience. That can be done through promoting your video on other social platforms, engage with your audience, focus on content.

Posted: Sep 25, 2019 By: Dotzo.networks Member since: Aug 21, 2019