General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

Advice on Youtubing as a business

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Sophie E, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Savvy_Phill

Savvy_Phill UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 5
    I run a pretty "successful" YouTube Channel - Around 15 million views

Ad clicks are peanuts.... around 2p per click - Even this low, it makes MORE than my full-time "Graduate" Job - that's how many clicks i've been getting per month

It took around 2 years before it started making "decent" money

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: Savvy_Phill Member since: Mar 18, 2019
  2. ComPropSolicitor

ComPropSolicitor UKBF Regular Free Member

203 32
    Can we see you in action? what is it that you vlog about?

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: ComPropSolicitor Member since: Feb 1, 2019
  3. agenthenry69

agenthenry69 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 1
    I personally think YouTube is a great place for a full time job!

It's just so much hard work!
    I worked out that for every 1,000 views you get, you'll earn around £3.
    I also worked out that the average salary for full time in the UK is about £30,000.
    So in order to make £30,000 a year, you've have to annually get 10M views.

Sounds a lot until you break it down.

How many views per video if you upload every
    Day: 27,400 Views/Video
    Week: 192,300 Views/Video
    Month: 833,333 Views/Video

You also have to get 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 hours of watch time before you even start making money.
    This shouldn't put you off but you do need to be consistent!

Best of luck though!!

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: agenthenry69 Member since: Sep 4, 2019
  4. Sophie E

Sophie E UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 0
    Lol ok I dont see it that way but thanks for the tips! x

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: Sophie E Member since: Sep 3, 2019
  5. Sophie E

15 0
    Thanks will check him out! x

6. Sophie E

15 0
    Thanks for this! x

7. Sophie E

15 0
    Thank you soo much this is fab advice and help. I will work on having a positive message for my next trip and do more interaction definetely. x

8. Sophie E

15 0
    Hi my youtube channel is on my profile page or just search in youtube for my Sophie E channel xx

9. Sophie E

15 0
    Wow thank you this is really helpful to know. Gosh ok plan of action needed for this x

10. obscure

obscure UKBF Ace Free Member

3,028 729
    +1 to the above. Youtubing/blogging/instagram is not reality. You can't just go on great trips and then get paid for it (unless you already have many hundreds of thousands of followers. The cost of travelling will exceed the money earned from ad revenue. In addition, while you are travelling full time you aren't home doing your day job so (apart from your paid holidays) you aren't earning money.

This means you have to save up money from your day job and then invest all of that into funding your trips. You then minimise costs. You fly the cheapest indirect economy flight (via three other cities) to reach your destination. You stay in the cheapest hotels (and just visit the place with the gorgeous infinity pool) and make videos non-stop from the moment you land to the moment you take off and all while jetlagged/suffering from flu/food poisoning. Then you jump straight on a plane home/to the next destination. You don't get to spend a week sitting on the beach because that is time that you are spending money/not earning money.

Each of these trips need to generate the maximum possible amount of content. You can't just post a couple of Instagram shots. You need to feed the monster. That means you need to plan the trip carefully, with lots of research. You need to make a video on how to get there. - Not just how you got there but also info on other methods. Then how where to stay there, then where/what to eat, where to shop, what to do..... you need as many separate bits of content (that can each earn revenue) as possible.

Final thoughts
    I know of some successful travel photographers who have enough followers that they have their trips paid for by sponsors/ad revenue. But their work day is still as I described above. Land, work, take off, rinse, repeat.

Possibly more importantly they have no home to go home to. They don't own a house and they don't have a pension... if they stop travelling they stop earning.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  11. Savvy_Phill

Savvy_Phill UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 5
    Like any "successful" business - i'd like to keep my profitable niches to myself.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: Savvy_Phill Member since: Mar 18, 2019
  12. Financial-Modeller

Financial-Modeller UKBF Regular Full Member

453 130
    @Sophie E perhaps consider taking a job in an associated area (presenting travel programmes for independent TV producers etc) to earn a living while you build up followers, before making the jump to a life financed exclusively by your own YouTube channel.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: Financial-Modeller Member since: Jul 3, 2012
  13. Dan Kav

Dan Kav UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 3
    Alternatively, see if you can get a remote working job & start moving around the world vlogging as you go. A friend of mine is a translator working off a laptop & voip phone. He's lived in Spain, Hong Kong, France, China & various places in the UK just this year. Nice life if you can get it.

Good luck & I hope it goes well for you.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: Dan Kav Member since: Jun 19, 2018
  14. Opinion87

Opinion87 UKBF Regular Free Member

274 53
    I'm confused. I just watched a video of a random girl catching a lobster whilst terrible music played in the background with absolutely no explanation about what was going on or who she was.

Zero reasons to watch, other than the attractive girl swimming around.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: Opinion87 Member since: Jul 1, 2015
  15. Sophie E

15 0
    Hi thank you soo much for this advice. I know it will be hard work but I want to change my lifestyle dramatically and I am sure I can make a go of this. It's a good point though that it doesn't look as glamorous as it appears to the audience and at the beginning I will have to knuckle now and watch my spendings.
    I would love to chat more to there travel photographers who make a living from this so maybe I will have to reach out to people more.
    Thanks again x

16. Sophie E

15 0
    Wow nice idea but I have no background in TV or presenting so not sure what I could offer or how I could get into that? Thanks x

17. Gordon - Commercial Finance

Gordon - Commercial Finance UKBF Ace Free Member

1,640 460
    And yet you want to try and make a living presenting on a YouTube channel?

I watch a lot of YouTube, although mostly about cars and bikes not people going on holiday, and a quick look at the few videos you have up, you’re not cut out to make a living out of this. I thought about doing it myself (motorbike related channel) but I realised I’m just not natural enough or confident enough in front of the camera, so it was a non-starter.

One skill you do have going for you though is only taking note of the positive comments above and not really listening to any of the advice you don’t want to hear. That will come in handy for reviewing YouTube comments.

By the sounds of your responses, you’re convinced that you want to do this, and you’re just collecting opinions that agree with yours. But if you are taking any note of anything else, my two cents are that you won’t make money, certainly not enough to make a full time job.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: Gordon - Commercial Finance Member since: Jun 26, 2017
  18. Ally Maxwell

Ally Maxwell UKBF Regular Free Member

325 106
    So you don't want anyone to see your youtube videos ??

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: Ally Maxwell Member since: Nov 6, 2015
  19. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,718 174
    I just saw your channel now after reading the comments above. I would say, you need to talk a lot more, get rid of the music. I wouldn't subscribe to a channel where someone isn't talking and has excerpts of video footage stitched together.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  20. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Ace Free Member

1,718 174
    I think you've joined the wrong forum. I'm sure there a youtube producers / vloggers forum you can join to get better ideas. Majority of us aren't connected to this type of career. Sadly we're more day to day, real world businesses.

I'm actually surprised you've joined this forums, common sense would have led you to a vlogging site/community somewhere.

Posted: Sep 4, 2019 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011