Advice on selling my website

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by GeorgeTy, Dec 21, 2019.

1. GeorgeTy

GeorgeTy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    I have a directory type site about Consumer/Building repair in the UK and I have been running it for the last 8 years.

I am assuming that the value of such an aged domain/site (for search engine reasons) is more than zero, so looking for advice on how would I go about selling it?

The cost of paid ads in some of the categories that are featured on the site, example: "Window repairs", "Fire damage repair" etc, the CPC (cost per click) of ads is £15-30, so it makes sense for another business to invest and develop this site and save on ads.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I tried to search here for similar questions and found nothing, so this thread could be useful for others perhaps too.

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 By: GeorgeTy Member since: Dec 20, 2019
  2. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

630 124
    How much traffic does it have and how much money does it make? Will they need to "invest and develop" to save on ads or can they save straight away? Selling potential is difficult.

Domain names seem to be worth less then they used to be, but if its not a profitable going concern that is what you will be looking at.

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  3. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,695 1,851
    That's an awesome site in terms of crisp code, speed, clean design. So, well done.

But price is going to be based on how much income the site is generating. CPC for related keywords is irrelevant.

There is plenty of information on selling websites. I do remember replying to quite a few threads on the subject. But I've also written tons on the topic at this location. And my forums are closed to new registrations but you should find even more great advice in the discussions there.

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  4. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

31,583 9,280
    It's not responsive. You need to fix that before anything else. And the maps don't work. Lots of things need fixing on the site to make it salable.

You mention the cost of adverts, when you do a search for 'window repairs' does your site feature in the results?

What sort of traffic do you get?

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. GeorgeTy

4 0
    Thank you, those seem like really good resources!

Traffic at the peak at 2015 was 10k page views per month, now 2k per month. It made very little when I put adsense on it, so I wouldn't value that at all. It is definitely "invest and develop" and gives a good base for a completely different site. The value that I see is in the domain age, some content; it has 242 incoming links from a few big sites (lifehacker for example), so could be used to build a forum for diy home improvement perhaps by a company that does pro services. (just one thought)

Yes, the site actually pre-dates responsiveness, and also is missing SSL cert, so google probably penalises it now for this. (easy to fix though)

Because I want to focus more on my day job, I am not really able to work on it at all, so getting a fair value for it would make me feel much better then simply making the domain expire and it being gone forever.

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 By: GeorgeTy Member since: Dec 20, 2019
  6. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

31,583 9,280
    To get fair value you really need to update the site. Or get someone else to update the site.

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. Clinton

4,695 1,851
    Given the work involved to update the very dated entries, clean up the site, make it responsive, get back the Google mojo etc, fair value is £50. You happy with that?

I suspect you know the amount of work involved to get this site back to its previous glory. Work costs money (or time, which also costs money). You have some good backlinks. Build some more, sort the site out, get the traffic back, improve the earnings and you've got a chance of getting some decent money.

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  8. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,383 1,761
    As he ^ says.

Posted: Dec 21, 2019 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  9. John Hemming

John Hemming UKBF Regular Full Member

250 32
    I think the reason the maps don't work is that the site does not have a billing account at google. Hence either the site has to have a billing account at google (and potentially pay them something) or it needs to use some other mapping system.

I think, however, you would only make money out of this if you could find someone who will take what you have done and work on it giving you a cut out of any revenues. Otherwise you could only get a relatively trivial sum.

Posted: Dec 22, 2019 By: John Hemming Member since: May 23, 2019
  10. gpietersz

630 124
    I have a site that has 10k page views a month (it used to get about 500k and make decent adsense income at its peak). Its finance and investment related so fairly valuable traffic. About 800 pages of content (that does not require much updating), links from major media (BBC, Guardian etc.) citations from academic papers (which Google Scholar picks up).

I do not expect to get a significant amount if I sell it. Its making no income at the moment so I might still sell it.

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  11. gpietersz

630 124
    No I have mentioned it, does anyone have any idea how one values a site without revenues? I am wondering about selling that site of mine now ( moneyterms.co.uk BTW)

12. Clinton

4,695 1,851
    I've written tons of stuff on valuing websites, and I've been advising on this going back to the late nineties. I've got terrabytes of data on actual prices that websites have sold for. I'm sorry to have to tell you, but generally if a site has no income then it's close to worthless.

There may be value in the domain name sometimes. And value in the mailing list (especially if it's been kept up-to-date and generates a good response).

But where the main attribute is the EMD or IBLs or "page rank" (DA/PA/whatever), it's very difficult to get someone to pay for it.

There is one additional problem with sites like yours - Google nicks your content. So if I'm researching Abnormal return in Google, Google will give me the definition in the SERPs itself and save me the trouble of going to your website. Great for searchers, not so great for dictionary and glossary sites.

I know because I've owned a couple of sites like that and used to make great money from Adsense on those sites till Google started nicking my content! I've now abandoned those sites and haven't even bothered putting them up for sale.

I was in the Adsense Fedex club with those sites ($10K+ in Adsense cheques per month), but I don't make £10 a year on them now! (Examples of those sites of mine available on request by DM)

This is a real shame because, like you, I put a ton of time and money into developing content for those sites, even hiring expensive experts in the respective subjects.

Investors who are buying websites know that it's almost impossible to make money with those sites now. A new owner would have to repurpose your site and put in a ton of effort. And he risks losing all the existing backlink mojo anyway as Google might recognise that the nature of the site has changed ...and therefore privately discount previous links gained.

Put it up for sale at some online marketplace or the other and if it doesn't sell, drop me a note and I might make you an offer.

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  13. gpietersz

630 124
    Thanks @Clinton. Its not a huge disappointment as its pretty much what I expected (which is why I have not already made a real effort to sell it). On the other hand I think I might as well sell it rather than just have it hanging around doing nothing.

That sounds like the way to go. I already registered a Flippa account, and have a DigitalPoint account. Anywhere else you suggest?

I will let you know if it fails to sell.

I am grateful for any advice from anyone who is more familiar with this than me. What the asking price should be is one problem.

Graeme

14. Clinton

4,695 1,851
    Posted: Dec 23, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  15. GeorgeTy

4 0
    It's been an interesting thread so far, thank you everyone! It made me consider points I haven't thought of before.

I think for £50 I would definitely hang on to it, as It's been interesting to use it as a SEO playground and for learning.

Although the way I could value it is like this.. Basically if someone wanted to recreate it , how much effort would this be for them? (I know this is also flawed, as a bad idea is still a bad idea even if it was difficult to create!)

Yet my thinking is therefore:
    Domain value, £8 per year for 10 years = £80
    Unique logo = £100
    Articles/Content with a strong links 1x £100 (It's listed in resources section on the site)
    The rest of the links £100 (200+)
    Server code (bespoke PHP) now old/obsolete = £0
    Mailing list (approx 2000) = £0

So £380 and I would not regret parting with it I think. There is also an aspect of transferring ownership, shutting down email server, that part is seems quite daunting, but it's a good lesson to keep things decoupled.

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 By: GeorgeTy Member since: Dec 20, 2019
  16. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,544 1,799
    A lot of it's down to timing and luck

I had a site once which was so powerful I could put virtually anything on it and it would rank well.

I used it for affiliate work and for a brief period it was making £2k a week for very little work, I wouldn't have sold it if someone offered me £50k

Within a few months it got wiped out by Google and not worth the registration fee.

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  17. John Hemming

John Hemming UKBF Regular Full Member

250 32
    Normally Corporate finance type deals tend to work on the basis of EBITDA (Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortization) which is basically a question as to how much cash you get from the business.

If you get no cash from it it is difficult to identify value. There are still tech businesses that are working without profit, but most valuations are not in that sphere.

Posted: Dec 23, 2019 By: John Hemming Member since: May 23, 2019
  18. dotcomdude

dotcomdude UKBF Regular Full Member

321 42
    I think this is a realistic value. If you're interested in selling for this, send me a pm.

Posted: Dec 24, 2019 By: dotcomdude Member since: Jul 27, 2018
  19. Clinton

4,695 1,851
    Excellent. Deal done?

@GeorgeTy , do let us know if that deal goes through. (No, I'm not interested in buying, just interested to see if the sale does happen at £380).

Posted: Dec 24, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  20. Awinner2

Awinner2 UKBF Regular Free Member

364 71
    EstiBot says the domain name by itself is worth less than $100.

Posted: Dec 24, 2019 By: Awinner2 Member since: Aug 4, 2017