Advice needed.

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by L.Brown, Apr 2, 2019.

1. L.Brown

L.Brown UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 1
    Hello everyone.

I have signed up today to ask for some advice.

This is probably not your typical question, but I have no idea of where else I could ask this type of question.

I work from home as self employed. I do not currently earn enough money as my current job does not bring enough in, and I am looking to earn another £100 per week roughly. I am on such a low income currently that £100 per week would make a significant difference to me.

The issue is that I am agoraphobic, so finding employment is extremely difficult due to this.

I am hoping to be able to find work from home, as an employee, but finding such work is much easier said than done.

I plan to email companies, with my CV attached, and explain my situation in regards to agoraphobia. My question is, am I wasting my time doing this? Do you, as business owners, think that I have a chance of being employed from home? If you received a job application from an agoraphobic person, would it go straight in the bin?

Any advice at all welcome :)

Thank you.

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 By: L.Brown Member since: Apr 2, 2019
  2. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

11,739 3,030
    I am sorry, but very few companies will have the slightest interest in whether you are agoraphobic. Their only interest is whether you have skills to offer them that they need. An email saying I am an agoraphobic person, do you have any work for me? will go straight in the bin, not because of your condition but because you are asking them to do your work for you. Find out what a company needs and email about how you can ill that need.

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  3. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,347 3,234
    1. Most importantly - I would (were I in your shoes) be seeking out the underlying reasons for my agoraphobia so that over time, I can get out and meet people.

2. What skills do you have?

3. I would definitely not bin an application, but finding key skill sets will be vital. There are a thousand skills that people hardly even know exist that are required that are often or even usually done from home. Incidental music for film and TV. Model building for film, stage and architecture. Journalist, proof-reader and sub-editor. Translator. Programmer. Artist. Graphic designer. Film/TV editor. Electronics designer. CGI and 3D model builder. The ideas just keep on coming!

This!

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  4. Socio South West

Socio South West UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

810 201
    If you are applying for work, the last thing that an employer wants to discover is the negative bits up front.
    Have you tried sites like People per Hour where the ethos is for homeworking, and in all probability you will never meet the employer - and needn't disclose your agoraphobia. You concentrate on the skills you offer.
    The only downside is that you have to wade through piles of dross and failures to respond or follow up to get anything, so be prepared to invest some time.

Posted: Apr 2, 2019 By: Socio South West Member since: Mar 24, 2013
  5. Ziggrs

Ziggrs UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 1
    I also don’t see your health condition as a problem to get a job. Company only care about their business and who is able to execute business requirements for them. They will be happy to offer a job to somebody who can deliver, so focus on your strengths and way to contribute

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 By: Ziggrs Member since: Nov 30, 2018
  6. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

13,753 1,507
    Could you do virtual PA work?
    Could you do stuff where location does not matter but you have the skills to make it work?

Have to agree, your condition would not be relevant to most businesses - what you can do for them to either support the business or make them money is relevant.
    They could support you then by not requiring you to do what you cannot.

Not everyone can work from home but some businesses do like the idea of not having to provide office space themselves for all their staff.

Alternatively there is always setting up a business. Perhaps making or buying in to sell online for example - can get royal mail to collect from your address (its not free for very small businesses) and do virtually everything by email and post.

Posted: Apr 29, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. Martyn Thompson

Martyn Thompson UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 0
    Each company will be different in their answer... send some out and gauge their responses.

Posted: Apr 30, 2019 By: Martyn Thompson Member since: Feb 6, 2019
  8. Owesdr

Owesdr UKBF Contributor Free Member

32 0
    Martyn, you have very constructive business thinking. I actually like your idea very much, but they first need to figure out how much would such combination cost. Is it cheaper to lease another telephone line for some time or just print new set of leaflets?

Posted: May 17, 2019 By: Owesdr Member since: Nov 21, 2018
  9. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,189 2,058
    What are your skills, are you computer literate, interested in software, good at talking to people like selling, sewing, cooking etc, it will help if you can advise

Posted: May 17, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  10. Nochexman

Nochexman UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,810 280
    Would be interested to know what happened next?

Posted: May 20, 2019 at 11:41 AM By: Nochexman Member since: Jun 14, 2011