Advice needed to convert more sales.

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by jellybabys, Oct 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cycloneuk

cycloneuk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

916 113
    McAfee will not stop anyone getting hacked, they only search for common holes & exploits - It is more to give customers some peace of mind and increase the conversion rate.

Hackers were actually targetting sites that had the McAfee seals at one point, so ironically it actually increased people's chances of being hacked.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
    Posted: Feb 25, 2009 By: cycloneuk Member since: Jun 18, 2008
  2. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,945 3,530
    Godaddy is one. Thawte also have one that has a padlock.

Steve

Posted: Feb 25, 2009 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  3. barginboyrob

barginboyrob UKBF Newcomer Free Member

185 17
    2500 a day, I would kill for that!

Posted: Feb 26, 2009 By: barginboyrob Member since: Jul 17, 2007
  4. jellybabys

jellybabys UKBF Newcomer Free Member

59 1
    Hello

Its been a long time since I have been here, we have redesigned our store and would love to know what other webmaster think of it?

We launched the site on the 14th and had a 300% increase in sale that day, but the next morning all of the sales stopped and this lasted for two day, then the sales only increase to 1-2 per day, so we are not sure what is going on.

I have tested the site in IE, Firefox and safari and it loads fast for us and looks fine, we are not behind any corporate firewall so not sure if our ssl page IE: checkout is getting blocked?

So if people could kindly have a look round our site and advice us why our sales have suddenly stopped from 20 sales per day to 1-2.

Thanks

http://www.jellybabys.co.uk

Posted: May 23, 2009 By: jellybabys Member since: Sep 2, 2007
  5. jellybabys

59 1
    double post

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  6. cycloneuk

916 113
    I can't remember what it looked like before but from having a quick look around the new one i think it looks very good, clean and professional. I think you have huge potential with that design, not quite sure why your sales are so low. Do you have an affiliate program?

Posted: May 23, 2009 By: cycloneuk Member since: Jun 18, 2008
  7. jellybabys

59 1
    Hi cycloneuk,

We did have one but got no sales from it, at the moment we are only rebuilding the affiliate software to work with our site.

8. jellybabys

59 1
  9. cycloneuk

916 113
    Wow, massive improvement. I persume you were using your own software for the affiliate program? which is a big no, no. I think you would do well by launching with an affiliate network like Webgains, they already have a huge database of affiliates ready to promote you.

Posted: May 23, 2009 By: cycloneuk Member since: Jun 18, 2008
  10. jellybabys

59 1
    Thanks cycloneuk,

I will look into it..

Posted: May 24, 2009 By: jellybabys Member since: Sep 2, 2007
  11. boho

boho UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,411 135
    In all honesty I'm totally stunned that the site isn't bringing you more business, its by far one of the nicest sites I've used, navigation is clear, product images are lovely, the checkout process is simple and fast there are no barriers to exit or entry its very well designed.

Have you checked analytics and your keyword positions? I'm wondering if the changes haven't simply caused a change that needs to be ironed out over time, such as you're not as keyword dense on something that was previously generating the business? Or has anything been removed in terms of articles, tags or a feature that was previously bringing traffic?

You do have scope to improve your keyword density in your product descriptions as they are quite light, and also link to related products that customers might like, or which make up sets, 'customers also bought' etc.

You're certainly now in my favourites for childrens gifts anyway, I dont have little uns of my own but you have some lovely stuff for my friends kids and my nephew :)

Posted: May 24, 2009 By: boho Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  12. boho

1,411 135
    You had a blog showing on the old version, but I cant see it on the new site? It could be if it was an active blog that this was bringing a fair bit of traffic.

Also I'm not sure if you had many links on the old site, but you have none in the sites we like section on the new one - never under estimate the power of links, I get a huge number of shoppers from my links mostly from related sites and forum/directories I'm part of.

13. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,705 720
    I think your category pages are excellent, really well presented with lots of shopping options making navigation and ease of use as good as I have seen. However, there are a couple of areas which fall short of your category pages.

I would change the Continue Shopping link on your Shopping Basket to a button and make it more prominent than it currently is. When I first added an item to the basket I was looking around for a way of going back to the category I had just come from.

The home page is lacking a bit of stickiness. My eye is initially drawn to the featured product image but then wanders down the page and I lose direction or interest. I wonder if you could change the featured products area, get rid of the writing and actually include some featured products in a similar layout to your category product page?

But I feel that the biggest issue with your website is on the actual product page.

I really do think that you need to keep the SHOPPING OPTIONS on the left hand side on the category and product-specific pages - as a shopper I note immediately where the Shopping Options links are on the left hand side when looking at the category pages but when I click on a product they all vanish!

I don't quite understand the thinking behind that?

Overall your shop is very well presented and if you consider addressing the points mentioned above I am sure you will see a better conversion rate of visitors into paying customers.

Posted: May 24, 2009 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  14. boho

1,411 135
    All points well made, I must admit I didn't notice the categories vanish, I took it for granted they were there, having gone back again I can see that in fact whats there is the products I might also like bit - which I also dismissed!! I would put the products you might also like bit directly under the product itself and stick the navigation back in on the left.

I tend to shop using the breadcrumb, which you do have, but thats because I know its an easy way to navigate about, but many shoppers wont and its better not to create too many difference in pages as it will panic shoppers if they can't find their way back quickly and if things change that they are not expecting.

A really good book to read which explains a lot of the issues shopper face with web useability is Steve Krug's 'Dont' Make Me Think'.

As Quikshop says I would make the Continue Shopping link much bigger and I would perhaps stick it on the same side as the proceed to checkout and make the update basket bit part of the actual basket part where the changes can be made, next to the remove.

Last edited: May 24, 2009
  15. jellybabys

59 1
    Thank you all so much for looking over the site for me and giving me your honest opinions, they have been a great help!!

1, I will change the shopping link to a button and move it over.

2, Adding feature products to the main page will be done.

3, Making the category not disappear after it has been clicked will be a lot harder as this would have to be hard coded as the software is set up to make it disappear at the moment, but im sure a programmer can do it for us.

4, We will make the top nav a drop down so this could make life a bit better for customers to browse round the store.

5, We once did have a blog and a lot off php pages with advice articles on them, but because we moved over to a CMS system we was planning to move them over as CMS is an easy way to edit and update, as I sure you know, but we have about 600 page to do and no way to import them so this will take a bit of time, but we have started with the most popular ones and the rest will follow soon.

Again thank you all so much it has been really helpful.

Dave

Posted: May 26, 2009 By: jellybabys Member since: Sep 2, 2007
  16. LianneF

LianneF UKBF Newcomer Free Member

807 57
    Hi
    When i had a look on the site a survery / answer a couple of questions thing popped up which would put me off as i would click straight off.

I second that when you click on a category that the detailed category list should stay down the left, the 'what else you might like' could go below the product.

Big improvement on your last site but i think as it's a baby / kids site it could be brighter and bolder so that people remember your name and your site and will add to favourites etc.
    Lianne

Posted: May 26, 2009 By: LianneF Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  17. Nickdavis87

Nickdavis87 UKBF Regular Free Member

275 28
    Your new site is so much better, it sounds to me though that the change has affected your traffic in some way! What are your numbers telling you? Do oyu have all of the old redirects working properly?

Posted: May 26, 2009 By: Nickdavis87 Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  18. stacks

stacks UKBF Newcomer Free Member

111 4
    Nice site! Very clean and simple but professional too. Do you mind me asking what you used and did you do it yourself or were a development company involved?

Posted: Jun 4, 2009 By: stacks Member since: Aug 28, 2007
  19. jellybabys

59 1
    Thanks stacks, Its a magento ecommerce site, I designed it mostly myself, I had a pro to add a few modules so we could take payments direct.

Our stats did drop once we moved over to the new site, from 2500 per day down to 900 visitors a day, but it looks like the visitors are slowing coming back and the sale are increasing a little.

So it not all bad news, we just need to keep adding back the content we had and find way to improve the site.

Thanks for all the advice :)

Posted: Jun 4, 2009 By: jellybabys Member since: Sep 2, 2007
  20. Premier Replacement China

Premier Replacement China UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 0
    Hi
    I would like advise on my online store for improvement please.
    My online store is premiere replacement china and ends in com.
    Especially with sorting out the right key phrases.
    Thanks
    Patricia

Posted: Jun 5, 2009 By: Premier Replacement China Member since: Nov 18, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.