Advice needed..new business idea

Discussion in 'First Steps To Starting A Business' started by chezi, Feb 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chezi

chezi UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 0
    Hi
    Im Lee, i have been thinking about starting a business in the gaming/sports/entertainment area. I have ran an event in the style of my business idea as a fundraiser for my local team which went very well. I have spoken to a lot of people who feel that the idea is a goer as there is not a lot of actual competition and all the people who took part enjoyed it and asked if there was another one planned. Just not sure what to do next as im new to business. My nephew is a graphic designer and he can come up with branding etc.. I am in need really for advice on how to approach possible venues for my events and should I get a basic website to start with or start without one until im more established.

Posted: Feb 11, 2014 By: chezi Member since: Feb 22, 2011
  2. ryedale

ryedale Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

1,545 368
    I would suggest that you need a basic website as a minimum so you can refer people onto it if they don't have time to talk to you initially. If your nephew can come up with a design, then there is plenty of web designers on here including us who could turn that into a site for you.

You need to make sure that you look at insurance and public liability etc as well

Posted: Feb 11, 2014 By: ryedale Member since: Dec 17, 2013
  3. chezi

19 0
    Hi ryedale,

Thanks for your reply, yeah I am looking into public liability and insurance for my equipment as we speak. Im just not sure what is a good quote and what isnt.

Posted: Feb 11, 2014 By: chezi Member since: Feb 22, 2011
  4. TODonnell

TODonnell UKBF Ace Full Member

1,405 214
    Just get a list of venues from Yell and Google. Put the contact details into a spreadsheet as you go along. Call them, then email. call again. Find out who the decision-maker is. Work out what _they_ want to hear. Make notes in the sheet.

Give people what they want at a price they're happy to pay. If you can make a fat net profit on that, you're golden.

A website, maybe business cards, but don't go mad on spending money on these. Simple + good looking will do. Logo and graphics should suggest your niche but don't print loads.

Posted: Feb 12, 2014 By: TODonnell Member since: Sep 23, 2011
  5. chezi

19 0
    Thanks Adamchy, I have got some good venues in mind so its just a case of contacting them.I know how much to charge my customers and I have the equipment to start. I know I could arrange an event locally in my home town but not sure how to promote events out of town in places where im not sure of venues or where the best place to advertise the event. I know a lot of people personally who will enter my event and I know people on facebook etc, but like I say out of my area i would have to promote it. I only need 16 people to attend an event so its not an unrealistic amount of people to find, any thoughts on starting up a small business with a friend? Its an extra brain for ideas but obviously it would half any profit. I suppose its a case of working out if what they could bring to the business would make it twice as profitable.

Posted: Feb 12, 2014 By: chezi Member since: Feb 22, 2011
  6. TODonnell

TODonnell UKBF Ace Full Member

1,405 214
    Employees are better than business partners. You can fire employees.

Posted: Feb 12, 2014 By: TODonnell Member since: Sep 23, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.