Advice Needed: Importing baby and kids items from China for sale in UK

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Jayman21, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Jayman21

Jayman21 UKBF Contributor Free Member

Hello All,
    I am considering Importing baby and kids items from China for sale in UK. Does any one have experiences or ideas which will help? Its this a right business opportunity to venture into? Never done it before so advice will go a long way. Thanks

Posted: Jan 12, 2018 By: Jayman21 Member since: Feb 25, 2015
  2. Tom Gardner

Tom Gardner UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I think you need to do more research into your business plan, you need t see if there is room in the market for you (for you to make a sufficient income) and who your suppliers might be. Cost is going to be a major factor, high quality goods will cost more so your margin maybe lower, but low quality may not sell - Research suppliers ability to provide the quality you want in sufficient volumes, within reasonable timeframes

Posted: Jan 15, 2018 By: Tom Gardner Member since: Dec 9, 2017
  3. Maple Sourcing

Maple Sourcing UKBF Regular Full Member

There are lots of complicated certification requirements for baby products, so, it will not be an easy job. Also, I think consumers tend to choose big brands.

Therefore, pls study the market more carefully, and if you decide to try, try in a small QTY at beginning.

Posted: Jan 17, 2018 By: Maple Sourcing Member since: Oct 8, 2012
  4. Highland Spring

Highland Spring UKBF Regular Full Member

Yes everything needs testing before you can sell it legitimately and you need evidence that you are compliant - its EU wide rules. Plus there are tarrifs in this area. I have some experience of importing pedal bikes from China and we paid VAT at 20% and an anti-dumping levy of 40%

Posted: Jan 20, 2018 By: Highland Spring Member since: Jan 20, 2018
  5. John Damien

John Damien UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I think it's not a hard job. Many people are doing this.so you can do this by following simple ways.Contact with respective port authority in uk. They will give you directories of authorised clearing agent for import.Consult at least three of them. Or, you can ask your supplier regarding their past experience to export in uk. I think first one is best for new importer.wish you best of luck.

Posted: Jan 21, 2018 By: John Damien Member since: Jan 5, 2018
  6. Jayman21

Jayman21 UKBF Contributor Free Member

Thank all for comments. very useful. Just purchased some sample product so waiting for delivery. will share experience afterwards on how it goes.Thanks

Posted: Feb 1, 2018 By: Jayman21 Member since: Feb 25, 2015