Advice for Selling Food from Home - Takeaway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodburypizza

Free Member
Jan 20, 2018
Hello!

I just wondered if anyone has set up a food business from home and might be able to give me a rough idea of the cost and time involved in registering and setting up a food business. My husband and I are hoping to sell pizzas (takeaway from our house) cooked in a wood-fired pizza oven that is in our garden. I have done some research and so far come to the conclusion that we need to register for free 28 days before making food and also have a level 2 food hygiene certificate. We have a new and clean kitchen with stone worktops so I'm happy that the premises would be okay, the only thing is that the walls are just normal paint so can't be 'cleaned' per se. We would plan to do a 'pizza night' once a week to start with with the hopes of maybe doing 2-3 nights a week. It is more of a hobby than a full-time business as we both are self-employed in other businesses but thought it would be fun and think it would be quite popular in our village.

Any input would be really appreciated, the main thing I'd like to know is the cost involved (eg, are there any costs for inspections etc), do we need to have insurance (and roughly how much would we expect to pay), and how long would it take to have all the checks complete?

I'd really like to hear from someone that makes some kind of food from home and sells it, it all seems rather daunting but we are very keen to give it a try!

Thanks in advance :)

Mr D

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
Stirling
Never seen it done from home.
Talk to your council, among other things they will need to inspect from time to time to make sure your food prep and cooking areas are clean and vermin free.

Upvote 0

Woodburypizza

Free Member
Jan 20, 2018
The only thing I have seen is that it says planning permission may be required. Do you know where I can find any more info on this or do you know any more about it? We would hope to use our existing kitchen for food prep and then obviously cook the pizzas in the pizza oven just outside.

Upvote 0

Mr D

Free Member
Feb 12, 2017
Stirling
Whether you can do commercial with both inside and outside activity - worth checking with the council environmental health? I'd be concerned about rain, insects and attracting vermin.

Upvote 0

helper

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
I'm in similar boat been reserving for past few weeks. Not the outside part but making food inside. I contacted environmental health officer who said he would come around and speak with me but then emailed later to day it was 100 pounds fee for just coming out its just been changed so I left it at that for know. Maybe if I register the they come out for free not really sure.

You can do level 2 course free online. on a website called hse docs I think. There's others aswell but they chare for certificate these do it completely free if that's any help. I'm stuck aswell .

you need to do alot of paper work aswell around a hccap plan but for smaller businesses u can use a different template. There's loads u have to do with correctly measuring food temp of fridge freezer etc and have a plan of your suppliers etc aswell. U need have at least 2 sinks or maybe they allow a 2 bowl sink in a house though and preferably 2 fridges.

The things I'm stuck on are the extraction in my kithen if I need to add 20x airchanges or not. Plus I have wooden cladding on ceiling is that allowed or classed as unsafe. The waste management is supposed to be separate from normal waste but not exactly sure on this. If you find anything would you share it aswell thanks. And how are u getting on.

Upvote 0

sminter1st

Free Member
Apr 17, 2014
In between closing our takeaway and opening our restaurant, we ran a delivery service from our home, selling hot food for about a year. It was very straightforward, however your outside situation will probably complicate it, I guess. We registered as a food business with the local council and already had a food hygiene certificate (taken online) from the previous business. We used our home's kitchen, and used the 'Safer Food Better Business' folder, filled out all the details etc. Our environmental health people locally are really nice and helpful, they also called before their visit as in a private home they obviously can't just drop round. There is no charge for this!! You are not required to have your premises checked, only to register and comply with regulations, it is their problem to check it, so don't pay for it! You will probably find you get a 4 rather than 5 star hygiene rating as you haven't got a commercial property with eg cleanable walls etc. Be extra careful to have everything dated and to have a clear hygiene/hand-washing protocol, and basically keep kids and pets away from anything you're doing, otherwise there were no problems at all. A jealous neighbour reported us to the council for having a food business but we were already registered and compliant so no problems there. Extraction-wise apart from our domestic kitchen extraction, we literally opened an extra window, covered with fly netting, if I remember. As long as you have processes in place, it's fine. Ours was only temporary, mind you, so I don't know how a long-term business operating like this would work out, the local authorities knew we were in the process of looking for permanent premises.

Upvote 0

kulture

Aug 11, 2007
www.kultureshock.co.uk
You want a hot food takeaway. You need planning permission for this. It is exceedingly unlikely that you would ever get permission. Talk to your local planning officer and get an idea of the hurdles you will need to overcome. Environmental Health etc are just rules you have to follow, Planning is the one that can say NO.

Upvote 0

helper

Free Member
Mar 12, 2018
I wouldn't think they need planning g permission or 1 night a week but there maybe some rules for doing the cooking in the garden though planning permission is usually required when you change the layout in your property or want long opening hours can't remeber exactly thin it's after 10pm or 11pm or very early in morning . There maybe some concerns about the smoke produced but really it's but silly as if the op wanted to do it for himself unless he is in a restricted zone not much can he done unless all the smokes going to neghours houses but yes go see the local council better to go down than ring them. Say your thinking of opening a small food business from home and explain too them see what they say. I have been done loads of reasrech and gone see them today and I think it's been a bit off a waste of time as they give you almost all the stuff they have packages you can get off them they have started charing where I live but they may still be free in your area.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu