Employment & HR Brought to you by Jaluch (DocsWizard)

Advice about being unknowingly recorded

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Sodapop70, Aug 12, 2018 at 1:25 PM.

1. Sodapop70

Sodapop70 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 1
    I was recently informed that a work colleague had recorded private conversations between myself and my line manager without our knowledge. The reasons being that they thought we were discussing them. I've been told that the conversations have never been played to anyone and when my boss discovered it had been happening the person received a disciplinary warning. My Boss did not want me to know about the situation and I wasn't informed it had happened for several months. When I was finally informed I was asked by my boss not to tell anyone else about the incident so as not to rock the boat within the office.

Most people were curious about what had happened as obviously things got frosty between me and the other person and whilst I initially didn't elaborate I have recently told another person what happened.

I now feel that I need to tell my boss that I have informed someone but not sure if I could also get in trouble as I was asked outright not to tell anyone and have broken his confidence by repeating it - but at the end of the day I feel that my Manager & I were the victims.

Posted: Aug 12, 2018 at 1:25 PM By: Sodapop70 Member since: Aug 12, 2018
  2. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Big Shot Free Member

9,306 2,366
    At the time it happened, you and your manager were the victims, but that situation was dealt with some time ago and that should have been the end of it, If you weren't satisfied with the outcome at the time you were informed you should have complained formally to your manager.

What you have now done is gone against an explicit request made of you. You were told not to discuss it because of the danger of the workplace being de-stabilised. I suggest that you tell your Manager and apologise as it is bound now to get out because the chances of your colleague kee;ping quiet are very low.

Posted: Aug 12, 2018 at 1:41 PM By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
  3. Sodapop70

4 1
    Thanks for the reply. I intend speaking up tomorrow as know I was wrong in repeating it

Posted: Aug 12, 2018 at 2:02 PM By: Sodapop70 Member since: Aug 12, 2018
  4. Anon377593

Anon377593 Guest

0 0

I'm not surprised your boss didn't want you to know about the recordings - it's a complete breach of your privacy which has happened on work premises. As soon as they were aware of the recordings, you should have been informed. They can ask you not to repeat what happened but they had no right to expect you not to.

You can tell your manager that you have mentioned it to another colleague, if you want to, and explain why. If they get nasty, then go and see a proper employment solicitor. You're not the one in the wrong here.

Posted: Aug 12, 2018 at 7:27 PM By: Anon377593 Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  5. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,570 401
    You say that your boss told you not to tell anybody else but the recordings but was it your boss that first informed you of the recordings. if it wasn't it might have not been his/her to ask you not to tell anybody else.

Posted: Aug 12, 2018 at 10:55 PM By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  6. Sodapop70

4 1
    Thanks for the comment - I told my boss today that I had discussed it with someone else and he appreciated my honesty and said not to beat myself up about it as can't take it back now. He was very understanding and I feel better for being honest and at least he now knows that more people are aware of what my colleague did

Posted: Aug 13, 2018 at 7:28 PM By: Sodapop70 Member since: Aug 12, 2018
  7. Sodapop70

4 1
    Thanks for the comment - it was my boss who informed me as my Manager (who was also recorded) was told at the time but my boss didn't want me knowing. It was only brought to my attention several months later. I simply feel better now though for telling my boss that I had discussed it. As the first comment above said I should have raised it at the time if I was unhappy and although I wasn't unhappy with the way my boss dealt with it I was unhappy at how my colleague who recorded the conversations was treating me afterwards as if I was the one who had done something wrong but that was their own guilt acting

Posted: Aug 13, 2018 at 7:33 PM By: Sodapop70 Member since: Aug 12, 2018