Additional Grant Extension Accountants letter

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by James Townsend, Jan 14, 2021.

1. James Townsend

James Townsend UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 2
    Hi All,

I have been trading now since last September as a mobile caterer. As you can imagine trade has dropped :-(. I have been given the opportunity by my local authority to apply for additional extension grant of up to £2000 to cover lost earnings. One of the application requirements is a letter from an accountant/bookkeeper to show that I have suffered a loss of over 30% as a result of the Nov to Dec Lockdown period. I can demonstrate this, but as currently I do not have my own accountant I am struggling to find someone who is willing to check my figures, and provide me with this letter. I understand this entirely due to money laundering etc, but was curious as to wether I was missing something or is there is something else I can do? Any advice gratefully appreciated as I really would like to get the application off this week. King regards all. James

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: James Townsend Member since: Jun 10, 2020
  2. James Townsend

8 2
    This is Huntingdonshire district

3. CA85

CA85 UKBF Contributor Free Member

46 2
    Is there a comments or other notes box where you can explain that you do not engage a bookkeeper or accountant?

Can you contact them to ask (getting a response might be tricky), I am sure you will not be the only one in this position, there must be loads of small businesses that do not have an accountant.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: CA85 Member since: Oct 9, 2019
  4. cts1975

cts1975 UKBF Regular Full Member

247 51
    It's seems ridiculous that you may have to pay the professional costs of an accountant to claim financial support from your LA. I've not come across the requirement to provide proof from an accountant on my grant applications. Do they have 'Live Chat' on the LA website - I managed to get a well monitored email address for business support issues from my LA.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: cts1975 Member since: Apr 29, 2012
  5. James Townsend

8 2
    Hi Both, thanks for taking the time to reply. I have managed to get a response today from the LA. They are going to look as to how other new businesses have applied previously without an accountants letter. Personally I think they have not really thought it through properly. I will keep the thread updated when I get a response. James

6. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

26,397 3,232
    Some businesses with accountants will be asking for letters when the accountant has not got a clue.
    Until the accounts handed over which could be 12 months plus from the dates the local authority want.

It's local authority covering it's back in case of audit. If they can show the money went to people meeting requirements that is great. If they actually are in need even better but not required as much as showing the right information.

As an aside anyone can call themselves an accountant.

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. James Townsend

8 2
    Mr D thank you. really useful

Posted: Jan 15, 2021 By: James Townsend Member since: Jun 10, 2020
  8. cts1975

247 51
    Any news James?
    My experience of LA's is 90% arse covering and 10% progress!

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 By: cts1975 Member since: Apr 29, 2012
  9. James Townsend

8 2
    HI CTS! yes...we have news !!! I submitted the application with a covering note stating I did nt have an accountant but I am prepared to submit my accounts to them for the relevant period.....Application rejected. I then spent 2 days searching for an accountant who had some space to help me due to if being accounts season. Eventually got lucky and found a lovely local accountant to check my accounts and provide a letter saying that I was 53% down on none lockdown profits. Letter was £150 but Im hoping its a long term investment! The new application has now been submitted and we now have a possible 30 day application check timeline. I really do understand they need to do due diligence etc but there never seems to be any easier processes.....just tricky ones. I will update you as to wether the application is successful. Thanks again for asking. James

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 By: James Townsend Member since: Jun 10, 2020
  10. cts1975

247 51
    Nice. Glad things are progressing.

Posted: Jan 19, 2021 By: cts1975 Member since: Apr 29, 2012