Accounting + Stock Control Software

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by hickers78, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hickers78

hickers78 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi, new to this forum and business in general.

I am setting up a company, and want a good stock control software, that has a good customer database, which also has accounting software (our accountant is completing our final accounts, I just need to record all the usual info).

I can only seem to find software for stock control and accounting separately.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

Posted: Oct 18, 2012 By: hickers78 Member since: Oct 18, 2012
  2. David Griffiths

David Griffiths UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

11,427 3,561
    Plenty of offerings which combine both.

Sage and Quickbooks are mainstream applications which offer this, although I wouldn't normally recommend either. You won't get it in the base level programs, however.

For cloud applications both Brightpearl and e-conomic have the facility, albeit at a price, particularly if you need more than one user.

Of the others, Xero has partner programs which offer varying degrees of stock control and you can choose a combinatin which suits. I can't speak for the stock control apps but Xero is multi user at no extra cost. (We are Xero silver partners)

Posted: Oct 18, 2012 By: David Griffiths Member since: Jun 21, 2008
  3. Jacs

Jacs UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 0
    Hi,

If it is a startup, you can download following software. I find it quite easy to use. When you download, it will also prompt you to download the accounting software in a new window.

Visit website downloadcollection dot com and then look for inventoria_professional_inventory_software

B.Rgds,
    Jacs

Posted: Oct 18, 2012 By: Jacs Member since: Jul 10, 2010
  4. Walkol

Walkol UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

554 125
    All depends on the size of your business. However, while David obviously disagrees, I would recommend Sage. With Sage, a basic level of computer knowledge and logic will let you tailor it to your exact needs.

Posted: Oct 19, 2012 By: Walkol Member since: Sep 14, 2012
  5. hickers78

hickers78 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thank you everyone for your responses.

We are a small builders merchant with just two of us running the company (projected turnover £100-150k) Ideally I'd like something that would work well with our iPads/ iPhone and a mac.

I wil have a look at your suggestions

Posted: Oct 19, 2012 By: hickers78 Member since: Oct 18, 2012
  6. David Griffiths

David Griffiths UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

11,427 3,561
    Using a Mac severely limits your options unless you can run windows programs (Something called Parallels?) That might push you in the director of cloud software which runs on any browser

Posted: Oct 19, 2012 By: David Griffiths Member since: Jun 21, 2008
  7. Laurenpears

Laurenpears UKBF Newcomer Free Member

294 40
    Great that youve decided to integrate everything into one system.

Question, are you looking at cloud solutions?

Posted: Oct 22, 2012 By: Laurenpears Member since: Apr 4, 2011
  8. ILilja

ILilja UKBF Regular Full Member

172 19
    Just confirming that E-conomic has an integrated stock control facility and it runs perfectly fine on Mac as well as on PC.

There's also an App for iPhone and iPad, which is free of charge for E-conomic users, but with somewhat limited functionality - this means that you can use it for your invoicing, to check your stock status and so on, but as for the more advanced stock control functionality, you'd have to use the web application (on your Mac, for instance).

I work at E-conomic and I'm here to help, if you need me. Let me know if you want to try out the stock module for free.

Posted: Oct 23, 2012 By: ILilja Member since: Dec 20, 2011
  9. LouisGi

LouisGi UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 2
    It's true that since you want to work on iPhone Ipad it's a pain.
    First of all I do believe that you can't work a business application on an iPhone and generally mobile phones (the screen is too small).
    Then since you need to work on iPad I suggst to try a cloud application or some great opensource project like openbravo, openERP.

Cheers

Posted: Oct 23, 2012 By: LouisGi Member since: Oct 22, 2012
  10. Martin Winlow

Martin Winlow UKBF Newcomer Free Member

28 0
    Reviving an old thread I know but what software (online or otherwise) would anyone recommend that answers the OP's Q but where the stock control provides a 'parent & 'child' setup ie entering the sale of product 'a', which is made up of stock items 'b', 'c' & 'd' will automatically reduce the stock numbers for 'b', 'c' & 'd' accordingly? ... And will also do my HMRC accounts. Mine is a small (turnover ~£40k) limited company with me as sole employee - no VAT, payroll invoicing etc required.

Posted: Jan 27, 2017 By: Martin Winlow Member since: Dec 14, 2016
  11. ffox

ffox UKBF Regular Free Member

1,212 211
    This is very simple to do with O365. Take a look at -

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHUIj6NKff5Wp_AxknlgZQA

Posted: Jan 28, 2017 By: ffox Member since: Mar 11, 2004
  12. Martin Winlow

28 0
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I see the OP has an accountant who does his HMRC submission and I am trying to find an application that will deal with both stock control and accounts/corporation tax as I am just too small to afford both. I have been convinced of the need for one or the other elsewhere on this forum and as stock control is quite important, I would really like to try to go down the software route alone - for the time being at least. I use Excel currently for stock control but it is a bit clunky so having a streamlined system that combines both would be my ideal. I am beginning to think something suitable does not actually exist - not for a£200 or so a year. I sent out a bunch of emails to various accounting software companies and I'll report back if I find something.

Posted: Jan 28, 2017 By: Martin Winlow Member since: Dec 14, 2016
  13. ffox

1,212 211
    Martin. Sadly you face the same dilemma as thousands of other small business operators. To do a direct HMRC end of year submission you have to used HMRC approves software, or use an agent, or use the free HMRC software. I've never come across any HMRC approved software that also has a good stock control module and fits in your price bracket.
    But, there are hundreds of software packages out there so, good luck with your search.

Most businesses end up changing the business work flow to suit the software, or paying for expensive tailoring of the SW to suit their business.

Keep us posted on what you find and if you get stuck come back with some details on how you process accounts and stock data and I can set up a FOC 'proof of concept' model in O365 for you to look at.

14. Martin Winlow

28 0
    Hi Chris (very kind of your to 'donate' your time!)
    Yes, I know I want to have my cake and it it. It was ever thus!

I guess, given what I have learned thus far, it was a bit unlikely that one of the apps that are HMRC approved would also do what I want with stock control but I hoped at least that the accounting side of whatever accounting package I end up using will make it easy to 'copy and paste' the relevant totals into an on-line Gov Gateway tax and accounts submission.... or is this unlikely, too?

Maybe one way around it would be to carry on with my Excel system as long as the accounting software can automatically update itself with sales and purchases on PayPal, which is where I do about 99% of my transacting? I gather some accounting apps integrate though whether to that extent I don't know. That way, at least I would not have to double key each transaction, once in the accounting app and again in my Excel SS.

15. ffox

1,212 211
    I'm in the process of building a portfolio of O365 solutions, I already have asset maintenance and management (vehicle fleet or property), several data transformation scenarios, customer list, supplier list and lots more. Basic accounts and stock control are on the list and I prefer to work with real life, rather than imagined workflow. So, I gain from the interaction.
    Templates for solutions will be free for download on my website.

For HMRC CT you can use CATO (corporation tax on line) http://www.icpa.org.uk/portal/hmrc/changes_to_hmrcs_free_filing_software_for_company_tax_returns
    This is for a business submitting their own return, it is not available to agents. The only issue is that you need to know what to enter into the boxes, in other words you need to do the sums first. This is okay if you are familiar with the basic rule of accountancy, but could be a minefield for the unwary.
    There are plenty of low price or free accounts packages that auto submit the return -
    https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/corporation-tax-commercial-software-suppliers

The trick is finding one that fits your specification. Many of these will allow the import of data downloaded from PayPal or other trading sources.
    As you say, you could continue with the spreadsheet solution for stock and just take a 'bare bones' accounts package. That way you get to deal with one change at a time while keeping costs low.

16. Martin Winlow

28 0
    Thanks Chris. I'll mull it over and see what the response from all the emails I sent out yesterday is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.