About to have a diciplinary/first written warning

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by yeahyeahyeah, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA Full Member

5,800 1,372
    Well done!

Concentrate and focus on your own career.

This is a good thread from both perspectives . . . . .

Employees - Don’t under evaluate your strengths.

Employers - Look after your employees.

Posted: Oct 11, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah UKBF Contributor

122 14
    In hindsight I was very naieve, where as my first job out of uni was daunted by the prospect of jumping ship when I didn’t need to feel that way. I remember my uncle making me feel very insecure and playing on these fears by making it sound like the grass wasn’t greener on the other side - didn’t know any better - hadn’t work anywhere else. I remember how he would make it sound like he was doing me a favour hiring me (when he needed me to help set up his business) and would make remarks such as how I would never work in the city (I now do)

So you are totally right.

On your point, I think the key takeaway for employers is to act professionally and not vindictive, which is what unfortunately happened here.

In other companies I have worked in since, they have very rarely resorted to disciplinary hearings if it isn’t working out with an employee. Either they let them go during their probation or if they are long serving, manage them out (I.e. giving them time to look elsewhere), give them another job role and/or make them redundant. Much better approaches.

Whereas over here it was done routinely as a way of man managing without considering the impact it can have on somebodies career beyond the organization or morale within it. My other colleague who has been there for 10 years now, was taken to a disciplinary hearing because he was struggling to pick up the development language they used at the start. in other places, he wouldn’t have passed probation - piss poor management.

That is the only reason why I’m bitter about this experience, spent 5 years there and can’t use them as a reference nor remove it from my CV. Feels like such a stain on my otherwise good career, and I’m worried it might impact me down the line for positions that require extensive background checks.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    Posted: Oct 14, 2019 By: yeahyeahyeah Member since: Feb 26, 2015
  3. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA Full Member

5,800 1,372
    Don't spend any more time being bitter . . . . . . .what's happened has happened. Any employer will look at your recent work and will understand what you tell them regarding your first job. Using this thread as part of a reference will hold you in good stead. It's there for all to see.

Loyalty, tenacity, competence and a willing to learn . . . . . these are all traits any employer will want and you seem to have them in abundance.

Posted: Oct 14, 2019 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.