About to have a diciplinary/first written warning

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by yeahyeahyeah, Feb 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karimbo

Karimbo UKBF Legend

2,085 215
    theres big margins in software development. If the margins are good enough there should be no need for a company to be so authotorian. That sort of management style happens in low skill, low profit margin trades where worker inefficiencies cos a huge loss in profit.

I would suggest you find and work for a different company that treats their staff better. software/IT is one area where you shouldn't be having a slave driver hanging over your neck.

The hourly target is purely designed to drive people out, any self respecting person would find a different employer.

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 By: Karimbo Member since: Nov 5, 2011
  2. yeahyeahyeah

yeahyeahyeah UKBF Contributor

122 14
    Update:

I ended up resigning. I am now a project manager for a company where my work has turned a failing project around to a much more successful one. I am now managing teams of software developers and not taken one person to a disciplinary in a year and a half. Old manager took one of my ex colleagues to one in that time.

The hourly target as you've said was put in my 'performance improvement plan' to get me written up in a kangaroo hearing since they couldn't actually get me written up on the grounds for not being able to do the work, so took extreme measures.

Mentoring who the business had to legally go through, knows sod all about the development lifecycle and only needed proof of aggressive 'missed deadlines' as a way to get me done.

Anyway, I can't properly move on till this day in case people ask for a reference from this job. You need 2, nobody has asked yet but they will do.

Uncle has denied any contribution to the company last time I spoke and will disclose disciplinary problems.

Posted: Mar 7, 2017 By: yeahyeahyeah Member since: Feb 26, 2015
  3. Alps

Alps UKBF Newcomer

57 4
    Glad all is going well for you - and don't worry too much about the references. To be honest if someone asks me for a reference for an ex-employee I keep it short and to the point - yes they worked here for these dates but I never give an opinion regardless of whether they were good or bad - it's up to them to prove to their future employer that they are right for the job, not me.

I will also add that the internet has become as valuable for vetting possible employees as past employers - I would never employ someone without at least a brief Google of them as a bit of due diligence!

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 By: Alps Member since: Feb 12, 2013
  4. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE Verified Business ✔️

6,199 2,307
    I would frighten myself if I googled my people .

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  5. Alps

Alps UKBF Newcomer

57 4
    Totally agree Jeremy, and for those that we already employ it is too late but if I was putting myself on the job market I would like to make sure there was nothing sinister/illegal readily available first! :oops::D

6. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE Verified Business ✔️

6,199 2,307
    As soon as I saw the sheeps face I came of the facebook page :)

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  7. Alps

Alps UKBF Newcomer

57 4
    I've been just good friends with that sheep for a long time. Nothing to see here, move along please :p

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. yeahyeahyeah

122 14
    Not worried about Google,very little information about me and it is not negative. Linkedin is good, have loads of positive recommendations.

Highlighted the bit in bold, since I have seen some HR forms where they ask questions such as 'has this person ever been taken to a disciplinary?', not sure if this is an exception or the norm. Also overheard phone conversations where they talk informally about the candidate.

What has been your experience?

Posted: Mar 8, 2017 By: yeahyeahyeah Member since: Feb 26, 2015
  9. yeahyeahyeah

122 14
    Just read some of the really early posts in this thread. Thank you guys, your posts were spot on in terms of advice. If anyone new stumbles onto this thread and are going through the same situation, resign immediately.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    Posted: Mar 8, 2017 By: yeahyeahyeah Member since: Feb 26, 2015
  10. Alps

Alps UKBF Newcomer

57 4
    I have had varying requests for references and I find that agencies are pushier than dealing direct with a company, but my stock answer is always the same. If the potential employer has concerns about the employee then they must speak to them about it. Even when I've given a reference for someone who was dismissed from their role I would never disclose this. If criminal records are a problem then the employer can do their own checks, and I really believe people should get a second chance - if they messed up in one job it doesn't mean they will mess up in another. Generally, if things get to disciplinary action then they also get personal and there is no way as an ex-employer, an unbiased view can be given. I will always just give the dates of employment and confirm what the person's role was within the company.

I know not everyone will agree with this view, but everyone is entitled to make their own decision!

11. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Legend

2,247 382
    That is the stance of a great many companies these days. They are afraid of being sued for giving a warts and all honest reference.

Posted: Mar 9, 2017 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  12. Alps

Alps UKBF Newcomer

57 4
    I have no fear of being sued, I just feel people are entitled to a fresh start and the chance to change if they've made mistakes.

Posted: Mar 9, 2017 By: Alps Member since: Feb 12, 2013
  13. yeahyeahyeah

122 14
    And that is a good attitude to have, the problem is that my uncle is vindictive!

Anyway, it has been a while so I thought I'd let everyone know that my work at my current company has attracted attention from the corporate world. I have been offered a corporate management role and accepted it at about 50k a year. The most I have ever earned. After doing management for the past 2 years at a high level, I can see clearly why my Uncle was basically crap at it. A lot of the drama in this thread could have been avoided if there were proper management processes in place to deal with issues as they arise.

All of my friends are amazed at how I've turned my career around, my current boss is sad to see me leave, I am sad about leaving, but it's ok, we will keep in touch. I haven't bothered to put my Uncle on the reference form, just specified other references inc my current employer. Such a shame that the person who can potentially hold me back in my career is family.

Posted: Aug 24, 2017 By: yeahyeahyeah Member since: Feb 26, 2015
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Legend

16,065 4,535
    Congratulations. Just keep going!

Posted: Aug 24, 2017 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA Full Member

5,800 1,372
    . . .Could have held you back . . . .

Family members can act in mysterious ways, whether this is down to jealousy, animosity within the family, or mental illness. You can't choose them!

You have acted in the correct manner throughout.

Well done on your progress . . . . . thus far. Keep us posted when you become a director!

A good (albeit long) thread for people to read, especially for those who may find themselves in a similar situation.

Posted: Aug 24, 2017 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend

28,576 3,551
    Congratulations. You moved on and gained from it.
    And learnt valuable lessons you can take to future jobs like how not to treat staff. :)

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. yeahyeahyeah

122 14
    Exactly what I have been doing. Everytime I am managing people, and there are issues over productivity, attitude or like in my case at my Uncle's, plain negative office politics escalating into something serious. I think about what my uncle and ex line manager would do, then do the opposite. This typically involves taking a diplomatic approach. I was in a situation recently where I could have put someone I'm managing on a performance improvement plan, boss was unhappy and losing patience. Instead I got him back on track by literally coaching him on how to do his work better. His issue was that since it was his first job, he had developed bad habits from university and he gained more respect for me from the way I dealt with the situation.

Ex line manager wouldn't care and just gave written warnings like it is candy, as was the case with my ex colleague.

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 By: yeahyeahyeah Member since: Feb 26, 2015
  18. The Byre

The Byre Full Member

11,642 5,055
    I'll send the begging letters asap!

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. yeahyeahyeah

122 14
    Big thank you everyone else for your kind words!

It's been a long journey, if someone had told me at the start of this thread that I would be recruited for a management role at 50k a couple of years down the line, I wouldn't have believed them. I was in such a rut, and struggled for a short time after leaving.

I hope that my thread inspires others who are going through something similar to turn things around. Being resiliant and patient is key.

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 By: yeahyeahyeah Member since: Feb 26, 2015
  20. The Byre

The Byre Full Member

11,642 5,055
    Success is the best revenge!

Posted: Aug 25, 2017 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.