A website has copied and pasted a whole load of my site`s content ! What can I do ?

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by Justin Smith, May 1, 2019.

1. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

568 59
    A website has copied and pasted a whole load of my site`s content. This is not unknown but what`s unique about this is they`ve done it with no acknowledgement or even any links back to my site !

Two questions :

What can I do about it ? I`ve tried E Mailing them but they didn`t answer, and the phone number just rings and rings.

Will it negatively affect my ranking ?

As an aside, this more than anything else, proves that ranking is not all about quality content, because for the some search terms the other site (devoid of any internal or external links to other articles on aerials) comes above my own !

Posted: May 1, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  2. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

376 76

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/legal-removal-request?hl=en-GB&pid=0&complaint_type=1

It will help if you also include a link from archive.org showing the earliest record of when this article was on your site.

https://web.archive.org/web/*/https://www.aerialsandtv.com/

It can take from a few hours to a few days for google to remove the link.

You can also file a DMCA takedown request with their host although if they are outside of the UK it's unlikely they will do anything.

You have linked to your site repeatedly on here despite me warning you about the wisdom of doing so. Enough said.

*The thread where I warned about malicious visitors seems to have disappeared - coincidentally where I also stated the forum was poorly administered?

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    Posted: May 1, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  3. Justin Smith

568 59
    Posted: May 2, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  4. EeeTea

EeeTea UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 4
    Curious about this thread, but not too relevant to me - but I do applaud Darren_Ssc for offering really useful advice to the OP. What a nice person.

Posted: May 3, 2019 By: EeeTea Member since: Feb 8, 2019
  5. Aaron Starc

Aaron Starc UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 1
    You can file a DMCA and search about how to stop online content infringement, you can get some answers from Quora about it. Report wherever possible.

Posted: May 9, 2019 By: Aaron Starc Member since: Apr 1, 2019
  6. Justin Smith

568 59
    Thanks for all your advice, both Bing and Google have removed the page (with the copied content) from their search results.
    One can but hope that the fact Google and Bing both now know that my content is so good that other websites copy it will improve my ranking ! But I won`t hold my breath.......

Posted: May 9, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  7. Cheap Host

Cheap Host UKBF Contributor Full Member

48 7
    Well done for getting that resolved so quickly and at least you didnt have to pay using DMCA!

Posted: May 9, 2019 By: Cheap Host Member since: Oct 20, 2018
  8. Inva

Inva UKBF Regular Free Member

369 62
    Regarding rankings, Google tells what should happen in an ideal (according to them) world. In the real world, they've got no clue what they're talking about. Everything they say you shouldn't do "or else", is already being done with real, tangible success. To be honest I can't blame them because how can you police the entire Internet?!

Posted: May 10, 2019 By: Inva Member since: Aug 10, 2018
  9. Darren_Ssc

376 76
    There have been complaints that Google are dropping a lot of old content from their archives so this is a real problem if you have 'evergreen' content that hasn't been updated for a while.

Someone else can copy your work verbatim and, sometimes, outrank you as a consequence. This is a growing problem that is of Google's making.

I have just been dealing with such an example where the entire site has been copied over to another domain that appears to have no history or backlinks. The site they copied is over ten years old and was completely wiped out because of this.

Posted: May 10, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  10. aidan1980

aidan1980 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,281 149
    Posted: May 10, 2019 By: aidan1980 Member since: Jan 16, 2008
  11. Darren_Ssc

376 76
    Seems a bit out of date:

Whois is of no use now because of GDPR

'Google normally just remove the entire site if it is carrying illegally used copyrighted material.'
    Good luck with that one? :)

Re hosts: If it's a UK host you will usually get a good outcome but, outside the UK, more often not.

Filing a DMCA with google will usually ensure the offending site gets no benefit from their misdeeds but, be warned, determined thieves already know one thing you don't (and no, I'm not going to be publicising it either) so you may be back to square one after a couple of weeks.

Posted: May 10, 2019 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  12. Darkterror

Darkterror UKBF Contributor Free Member

48 4
    I also recommend you to use canonical tag for most important content of your website. I assume Google will not index other similar pages under it rules. But the question is how does that site with duplicate content, even simply appeared near the top.

Posted: May 19, 2019 By: Darkterror Member since: Mar 17, 2019
  13. Justin Smith

568 59
    Because, whatever Google and all the other experts say, by definition, content isn`t the most important factor. My site is, by Google`s (rather inflexible) definition, "not mobile friendly". Therefore they are ranking mobile friendliness higher than the actual content, which to my mind is ridiculous.
    As an aside the copied and pasted content was done is a rather slap dash manner, e.g. the pictures were all in the wrong places as regards the text, yet it was still ranked (for, I admit, a rather obscure search term) higher than mine.
    I hope the jumbled up text and pictures is not what happens on any page which is "responsive", I say that because in the next month or so I`ll be transferring my site to Wordpress to get the all important "mobile friendly" tick....

Posted: May 20, 2019 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012