A buying Guide - From the Chinese Suppliers perspective

Discussion in 'New to import/export? Read these before posting' started by Import Expert, Sep 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alboydino

alboydino UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 1
    Thank you for the interesting article, I have been looking into purchasing furniture from Chinese suppliers, found through alibaba, my partner speaks both Cantonese and Mandarin so language and communication is not an issue.

We have been trying to get better prices for our first order, but as mentioned they are not moving to much, I suppose we need to prove ourselves first!

I have a friend who runs a sourcing company out of Hong Kong, do you think it is worth me getting him to have a look at this company or do we just go for the trust gained by being an alibaba approved supplier?

Thanks in advance

Posted: Oct 14, 2013 By: alboydino Member since: Oct 14, 2013
  2. Import Expert

Import Expert UKBF Regular Free Member

242 113
    Hi,

Chances are the supplier is not making much on the first order and they do not know you from Adam as such so there is no real benefit for them to reduce costs at this stage. However for future, larger or regular orders you will have more to play with.

As to the sourcing company, it really depends on cost at this early stage, is it worth it v's the risk involved. (i.e. can you afford to take the hit if something goes wrong / will it write out your profit if you pay a sourcing agent).

Hope this helps!

Kind regards,
    Darren.

Posted: Oct 14, 2013 By: Import Expert Member since: Feb 1, 2012
  3. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,666 725
    You have to be very careful that the sourcing company can do evrything that the order process requires and not just sourcing.

In this regard, supplier evaluation, supplier negotiations, contract of terms, sample approval, QC inspections, Export documentation, supervise container loading etc etc.

There are many issues involved when placing an order in China, other than sourcing a product.

Also, you have to make a distinction between a sourcing company, trading company and buying office.

A buying office will work on behalf of the customer and do what is best for the customer.

My advice is to work with someone that has a similar mindset to yourself, to avoid any language or cultural issues that will normally arise throughout the order process.

Best of luck.

Posted: Oct 15, 2013 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  4. alboydino

alboydino UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 1
    Thanks to both of you for the advice. I have just joined this forum but I can already see that it is a great place to network and learn from.

Thanks again

Posted: Oct 15, 2013 By: alboydino Member since: Oct 14, 2013
  5. SoleGlobal

SoleGlobal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 1
    Thanks for the informative guide. From our experiences we agree that you have to be very specific. In our experiences, we even have to go into detail about the type of shoe lace dye to be used as an example.

Posted: Dec 12, 2013 By: SoleGlobal Member since: Dec 12, 2013
  6. Anna_Concia

Anna_Concia UKBF Newcomer Free Member

25 4
    Excellent overview!! Fantastic book I found on the subject for those interested, The Essential Guide for Buying from China's Manufacturers: The 10 Steps to Success, definitely worth a read!

Posted: Dec 13, 2013 By: Anna_Concia Member since: Dec 13, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.