90 Redundancies Being Made

Status
Not open for further replies.

cookiemonster99

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
Hi Everyone,

My employer has put over 200 staff at risk of redundancy.

There is a view to make around 90 redundancies to save money.

However - the 90 redundancies being suggested consists of a group of employees performing a simple but specific role, which the company has said they will be using Agency Staff to fill these roles after the redundancies.

They say that agency staff will afford greater flexibility and ultimately save money?

The most popular question I’m being asked... is this legal?

If you are making roles redundant but then the following day take on agency staff to perform the same role? The role still exists surely?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

ethical PR

Free Member
Apr 20, 2009
London
Hi Everyone,

My employer has put over 200 staff at risk of redundancy.

There is a view to make around 90 redundancies to save money.

However - the 90 redundancies being suggested consists of a group of employees performing a simple but specific role, which the company has said they will be using Agency Staff to fill these roles after the redundancies.

They say that agency staff will afford greater flexibility and ultimately save money?

The most popular question I’m being asked... is this legal?

If you are making roles redundant but then the following day take on agency staff to perform the same role? The role still exists surely?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Are you being asked because you are managing staff who are affected? If so, then ask your employer for lines you should take.

If not, your trade union will be involved so speak to them and give the ACAS Helpline a call.

Upvote 0

DocsWizard

Free Member
May 10, 2018

It could be legal. If for example they are removing 90 full time roles and then getting a temp for 1 day here or there sporadically then YES the full time permanent roles are gone. BUT there might be other options.

If they are consulting properly then you'll get an explanation of the why and how and a chance to propose options and ask questions. Ask questions about how they will cover holidays, how much they would use agency staff and to do what? Ask if they've considered having staff reduce their hours instead or have more part timers, or introduce shorter shifts. etc.

If they are planning to lose that many roles they need to provide this information to the government and follow specific rules.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu