$6500 to import a 40’ container!

Discussion in 'International Business' started by samuel5, Dec 8, 2020.

1. FaaF

FaaF UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    So rates have doubled since the original posts quote of $6,500, which was already ridiculously high :(

I'd hoped that some of the UK demand may have been the result of pre-brexit stockpiling and the demand would have seen a reasonably significant drop this month. Unfortunately, it seems that there is no end in sight to the issues.

Personally, I've no experience of historic shipping rates as I'm just looking at starting up an import business.

It looks like placing an order for stock, with a lead-time of 45 days from the manufacturer, is a large gamble on what shipping rates will look like shortly after Chinese New Year.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 By: FaaF Member since: Jan 17, 2021
  2. FaaF

5 0
    I'm starting to see price increases feed through to Amazon pricing and am seeing quite a few reviews where consumers, not realizing the issues faced by retailers, are complaining about retailers of fitness equipment price gouging and taking advantage of the current crisis.

Unfortunately, for a lot of businesses, they're going to either remain out of stock until some unknown date in the future where prices normalize - or they're going to have a tough time explaining to customers the real reason behind the significant price increase.

Posted: Jan 18, 2021 By: FaaF Member since: Jan 17, 2021
  3. Larry Fong

Larry Fong UKBF Contributor Full Member

45 3
    The Chinese New Year will be end by this week. The situation will be clearer with the factories in China return to work next week.

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 By: Larry Fong Member since: Dec 16, 2020
  4. GraemeL

GraemeL Pain in the neck? Full Member - Verified Business

5,187 1,137
    I would allow until end of February before I would say the factories are back at work

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: GraemeL Member since: Sep 7, 2011
  5. kevin.doran

kevin.doran UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,539 483
    We'll have a shipment ready to leave early/mid-Apr so really interested to see how the next 2-3 weeks pan out.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: kevin.doran Member since: Nov 28, 2011
  6. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito UKBF Regular Free Member

227 35
    We put our prices up a couple of months ago due to this. I always thought container shipping was incredibly cheap - and overall it still represents good value when compared to the value of goods we can get in a container, however the bigger issue for me has been the lack of availability, containers getting rolled and then not stopping in the UK.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: Guy Incognito Member since: Aug 2, 2016
  7. Red Wood

Red Wood UKBF Regular Free Member

602 72

Represent good value, in what dimension :eek:

How much 'value' can you fit in a 40ft HC for example?

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: Red Wood Member since: Jan 14, 2014
  8. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito UKBF Regular Free Member

227 35
    Broadly about £140k. Which we’ve paid for in USD (that has moved significantly in our favour recently making manufacturing 10% cheaper). I would obviously prefer rates to stay where they were but our price increase was enough to cover the extra cost.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: Guy Incognito Member since: Aug 2, 2016
  9. Red Wood

602 72
    $140K, fair enough. Easier to dilute I guess.

We've been double whammied by HUGE increase in core commodity cost used in our products and the fact we can only get between 40-60K per 40ft depending on what products they are.

It's genuinely difficult at the moment.

The last thing I want to do is make a decision that leaves us with stock which has been bought and shipped at top of market. Margins are modest, sector ultra competitive so there isn't much headroom.

Maybe I've got it wrong though, imagine if we look back at these rates and think "I didn't know how good we had it".... Good idea for a horror movie!

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: Red Wood Member since: Jan 14, 2014
  10. OMGVape

OMGVape UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

526 69
    I have a 20ft ready to ship China to Felixstowe.

My U.K. agent quoted $4000 yesterday and factory in China quoted $4550 - $6600 today depending on which shipping company is used
    (Just for the boat bit)

Posted: Feb 19, 2021 By: OMGVape Member since: Jan 21, 2018
  11. Stedurham

Stedurham UKBF Regular Free Member

493 71
    It’s not just China, price are increasing for Belgium and turkey and massive delays

Posted: Feb 21, 2021 By: Stedurham Member since: May 11, 2018
  12. FaaF

5 0
    Fingers crossed that the coming few weeks will paint a rosier picture. There's not much movement just yet on freighos quotes - though I imagine freightos rates may be slower to come down versus using a forwarder.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 7:33 PM By: FaaF Member since: Jan 17, 2021
  13. OMGVape

OMGVape UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

526 69
    Not only is my 20ft costing me $4000, I was told yesterday that the next available space on a boat is end of March!
    U.K. and China agents can’t see prices coming down anytime soon.

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 7:45 PM By: OMGVape Member since: Jan 21, 2018
  14. Red Wood

602 72
    Good rate (currently) if it is fob>door?

Posted: Feb 23, 2021 at 11:48 PM By: Red Wood Member since: Jan 14, 2014