4little1s.com - 6 months in

Discussion in 'Press Releases' started by 4little1s, Aug 4, 2008.

1. 4little1s

4little1s UKBF Ace Full Member

1,607 92
    A ex city banker and now a busy mum of 2 living in Surrey explains how she has started up a small online web business called 4little1s.com, the initial intention being to pay for school fees:-

I decided to start up a home based online web business to provide an income to cover school fees. Being a mum at home and looking after 2 small children means that during the day, while they are at school I have a few hours that can be used to work. Trying to get a part time job proved difficult. I want to be around for my children, to take them to school and to pick them up at the end of the day and be there when they are not well. A home based part time business seemed the ideal opportunity and would fit in around my available time.

I decided to start a business that I had hands on experience of at home. Initially the plan was to create some really lovely gift sets for newly arrived little ones. I wanted to make it easy to do, providing baby gifts, clothes, shoes, cards and also matching gifts for siblings too. I am now working on including pampering items and furniture all for new mums and babies on our website www.4little1s.com

I will be offering a wide variety of products, some handmade and sourced locally in the UK, some specifically hand crafted and made to order for us in California, others being more unusual items from around the world. I have been attending trade shows and am continually on the look out for new innovative and inspiring products. Where I can support fair-trade and organic produce I will do and I am also conscious of the volume of unnecessary packaging, so I aim to manage this well.

So where am I now? Well, it is 6 months since the idea was born and we are trading and sales are coming as our name gets known. Marketing has been via Google Ad words and MS Ad Centre which is working well. Suppliers are in place and established, as are all the banking and company registration information. We decided on using a web design company and a well know product for E commerce called Actinic to build the site with us managing the day to day running of it with product uploads etc. Maintenance of the website, general paperwork administration and orders keep me busy for around 4 hours a day, which fits in around my day just right. We have a number of interesting opportunities and ideas and can’t wait to pursue them!

Top tips:

• Select easy to use Ecommerce shopping cart software
    • Just do it! Taking the first step is the hardest part
    • Enthusiasm for your business is catching!
    • Set objectives for your business

Looking back and I think as to how much we have achieved in a relatively short amount of time I still cannot believe it as to how much we have achieved and it has been extremely rewarding.

Please feel to visit us at www.4little1s.com. We would love to hear from you!

Posted: Aug 4, 2008 By: 4little1s Member since: Aug 1, 2008
  2. marcylamontb

marcylamontb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 2
    Hi

Love your website, you've done a lot in 6 mnths!

Good luck

Posted: Aug 5, 2008 By: marcylamontb Member since: Aug 3, 2008
  3. 4little1s

1,607 92
    Yeah thanks, haven't slept for most of it !

Posted: Aug 5, 2008 By: 4little1s Member since: Aug 1, 2008
  4. strawb

strawb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 2
    Hello,
    Great story. Welll done. I like you website- easy to use:)

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 By: strawb Member since: Aug 7, 2008
  5. strawb

strawb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 2
    and only in 6 months. I admire working mums

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 By: strawb Member since: Aug 7, 2008
  6. sm1

sm1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,507 504
    Well Done! :)

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 By: sm1 Member since: Oct 19, 2007
  7. KidsBeeHappy

KidsBeeHappy UKBF Newcomer Full Member

7,350 1,580
    I love the baby bouquets. Absolutely charming!!

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 By: KidsBeeHappy Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  8. 4little1s

1,607 92
    Thank you all for your encouraging comments, very kind. Just need to get me head around marketing the business better

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 By: 4little1s Member since: Aug 1, 2008
  9. KidsBeeHappy

KidsBeeHappy UKBF Newcomer Full Member

7,350 1,580
    That's the hardest bit. Building it seems simple. All i would advise is keep revising, keep editing, keep changing. Watch your stats and how people use your site, monitor it well and try and be reactive.

And talk to your customers, i've spent 8 months with my website live and trading and during those 8 months i've spoken to loads of customers and couriers, and paid partic attention to all the little bits that people just don't get, or don't like. We've made small on the hoof ammendments, and then taken the whole lot and put this together into a new redesign which is due to go live next week.

It feels strange to be dumping a design, which is only a few months old, but after watching it for a couple of months the feedback we have should be for a much better experience for the users.

Posted: Aug 7, 2008 By: KidsBeeHappy Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  10. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Ace Free Member

2,483 580
    Good for you.

I've been going for almost twelve months now and cannot believe how far I have come from a blank piece of paper!

At times it has felt like I've been wading through treacle, (still does:D) but it's worth it in the end.

Like Boxby says, it's just a case of avoiding the anti complacency league and continually tweaking/revising your voyage of discovery.

Anyway, I'm having my first weekend of in twelve months and must go pack the car because we're going to Center Parcs for the weekend:)

Good luck for the next six months and onwards!

Mister B

Posted: Aug 8, 2008 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  11. jerrymind

jerrymind UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 1
    I was blown away when I visited your site. Well developed,Well Done. The hardwork will definitely pay off soon.

Posted: Aug 26, 2008 By: jerrymind Member since: Aug 12, 2008
  12. 4little1s

1,607 92
    Many thanks for your kind comments, we just need to keep the momentum up !

Posted: Aug 26, 2008 By: 4little1s Member since: Aug 1, 2008
  13. jerrymind

jerrymind UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 1
    Excellent.

Posted: Aug 26, 2008 By: jerrymind Member since: Aug 12, 2008
  14. Eleanor

Eleanor UKBF Newcomer Free Member

390 48
    I love the site. It will be so much easier to get gifts for new mums and new arrivals now! Now more struggling in mothercare with scary assisstants!

Well done bringing your business so far in such a short space of time! Especially with being a mum I don't know where you find the time!

You thought of getting in touch with those mumpreneurs people?

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 By: Eleanor Member since: Mar 3, 2008
  15. 4little1s

1,607 92
    Hi, What's mumpreneurs ?

C

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 By: 4little1s Member since: Aug 1, 2008
  16. Eleanor

Eleanor UKBF Newcomer Free Member

390 48
    There was something on TV the other night (sorry cant remember channel or day/time) but it was about mothers who wanted to spend more time with their kids so they set up a home business and then at the end there was a ceremony type thing and one of them won mumpreneur of the year... I'm sure something would come up on a search....

Try these

http://www.mumsclub.co.uk/index.html

:)

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 By: Eleanor Member since: Mar 3, 2008
  17. 4little1s

1,607 92
    Thanks for the link, very useful, just looking at the PR tempate they have, very useful indeed,

thks

Posted: Aug 27, 2008 By: 4little1s Member since: Aug 1, 2008
  18. happyduck

happyduck UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    Great site, sounds like you're on your way to big things :) Best of luck for the future!

Posted: Aug 28, 2008 By: happyduck Member since: Aug 28, 2008
  19. 4little1s

1,607 92
    Have tried to join a mumpreneurs website / forum and is it me or are forum sites becoming more stringent in who can join. I filled out a form for username / password etc and then got an auto email by return saying someone who review the application . The next day I got a human email back asking about

[FONT='Trebuchet MS','sans-serif']a. You are a mum in business, looking to network in which case could you let us know your website address, or[/FONT][FONT='Trebuchet MS','sans-serif'] [/FONT]

[FONT='Trebuchet MS','sans-serif']b. You represent a company offering business opportunities,[/FONT]

[FONT='Trebuchet MS','sans-serif']or[/FONT]

[FONT='Trebuchet MS','sans-serif']c. something else![/FONT]
    [FONT='Trebuchet MS','sans-serif'][/FONT]
    [FONT='Trebuchet MS','sans-serif'][/FONT]I have joined a few forums but this is the first I have come accross being selective...its probably a good this, but not sure on it....

Posted: Aug 28, 2008 By: 4little1s Member since: Aug 1, 2008
  20. urevised

urevised UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 4
    Nice website seems very professional. Keep up the good work.

Posted: Aug 29, 2008 By: urevised Member since: Mar 20, 2008