40 hour work week and lunch breaks?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Freelancer87, Sep 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Freelancer87

Freelancer87 UKBF Contributor

343 19
    Hello,

I am getting ready to take on our first member of staff. Their contract will be for 40 hours per week (8:30 - 5:00) with a 1/2 hour lunch break (unpaid). Does this fall in line with UK employment law?

What about breaks? How many breaks are they entitled to?

Thanks for the look!

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 By: Freelancer87 Member since: Feb 28, 2010
  2. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend

7,478 1,641
    Have a look here. Lots of useful information on employing staff. Do make sure you have the right HR policies in place, as well as issuing a contract.

I guess it would depend on the role and the sector. Normally where I have employed people on 37.50 hour a week contracts with an hour for lunch.

https://www.gov.uk/browse/employing-people/contracts

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  3. Freelancer87

343 19
    Thanks....I guess based on my plan, I am still 'legal'.

Do you count lunch breaks as part of the working day? If we have hours of 8:30 - 5:00 with an hour lunch break, that means a 37.5 hour work week. Is that right?

4. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend

7,478 1,641
    I don't know ....have a look at the link I posted it has lots of information on employing staff, legislation etc

We normally offer 37.50 including lunch hours. What hours and conditions you offer depends on the role and your company.

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  5. Newchodge

Newchodge UKBF Legend

16,065 4,535
    It doesn't mater what you call the normal working day.

The law requires that anyone working for 6 hours must have an uninterrupted 20 minute break within the 6 hours. This can be paid or unpaid and the employee must know from the start of the break that they will be uninterrupted.. That is the extent of the specific law on workplace breaks for daytime workers. In addition health and safety requires that you ensure all staff work in a safe and healthy environment and that includes ensuring they receive sufficient breaks to keep them healthy. If they are in a role which requires close concentration or the continuous use of display screens you will need to factor in additional breaks.

The rules on working time relate to time spent actually working. It doesn't matter if you call your work pattern a 40 hour week or a 37.5 hour week. It is the actual number of hours worked that counts.

Posted: Sep 22, 2015 By: Newchodge Member since: Nov 8, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Freelancer87

343 19
    Thanks Cyndy :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.