2nd time around /or not

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by scribe, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scribe

scribe UKBF Newcomer Free Member

659 171
    Back in 1999, i designed /invented a product for paint tins.I took the concept to a plastics manufacturer who was bowled over by the idea and it's application, i was offered either a royalty or a business partnership with this company solely for the manufacture and sales of the idea. I accepted the partnership.

The concept was then registered for design with the patent office and signed by both parties, unfortunately things went sour this was after production had taken place( long story ).

As the certification has now lapsed would the 2nd party have any legal hold on me as i am thinking of giving this idea a second outing.
    Thanks for looking.

Posted: Oct 14, 2009 By: scribe Member since: Nov 21, 2008
  2. red-source

red-source UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

512 72
    When you say the certification has lapsed do you mean that the patent application would of expired as you have exceeded the 10 years ? Some patent applications can last 25 years. It depends on what contracts were signed at the time, you should tread very carefully. If you have a copy of the contract you could take it to a seperate patent agent who usually offer an hour or so for free if you explain that you would use thier services thereafter.
    Even better, as times and manufacturing processes have changed, maybe you could re-design the concept and make it better than before :) then patent it yourself.

Good luck, dealing with patent applications etc is a nightmare lol.

Posted: Oct 15, 2009 By: red-source Member since: May 16, 2009
  3. Big Pete

Big Pete Banned

1,950 415

Did the product ever get made and make money ? Or is it still in ponderland ?

Posted: Oct 15, 2009 By: Big Pete Member since: Oct 13, 2009
  4. scribe

659 171
    The product was made only a small quantity, prototypes to show around As for the contracts there was none just the signing of the registration certificate.:)

Posted: Oct 15, 2009 By: scribe Member since: Nov 21, 2008
  5. Big Pete

Big Pete Banned

1,950 415
    I reckon you have enough rights to go alone on it , give me a shout if you want any help etc..

Posted: Oct 16, 2009 By: Big Pete Member since: Oct 13, 2009
  6. red-source

red-source UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

512 72
    Scribe, as there was no contractual agreement and no serious sales were made you should be free to register the design again in your own name. Use your original patent office and get the design signed over to you to cover you in future.
    If you get to the stage where you look for tooling/piece quotes let me know and I`ll get you some info from my factory in China so that you have a honest figure to work with.
    Good luck with it.

Posted: Oct 16, 2009 By: red-source Member since: May 16, 2009
  7. scribe

659 171
    Thank's for all the advice given .:)

Posted: Oct 17, 2009 By: scribe Member since: Nov 21, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.