2Checkout / Paypal ?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Jayne, Sep 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jayne

Jayne UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,920 8
    Hi,

I have been advised to use 2 checkout and paypal on my new site I am having done. I have read lots of posts and am wondering why I need two, is there a reason for this? I have read all the info on them both and they seem to offer the same service. I'm a little confused why I need both. Need some advice please.

Thank You

Jayne :D

Posted: Sep 18, 2005 By: Jayne Member since: Aug 6, 2005
  2. SuffolkDesigns

SuffolkDesigns UKBF Old Timer Full Member - Verified Business

2,763 360
    Paypal is used for accepting payments from other paypal members. Although they have just started allowing business accounts in the USA to accept credit card payments from non paypal memmbers. Not sure if / when this will be possible in the UK.

2checkout only process credit cards, and your client does not need to be a member, they simply go to a secure form, fill out their info and the £'s are added to your account which is then paid out bi-weekly to your bank.

There are other credit card processors around apart from 2co, (speak to your bank as well) they vary alot in setup fees, monthly fees and % charges. 2co is cheap to setup and easy to use but does charge quite a high % compared to others that cost alot more to set up and might save you 1-2%

Whatever card processor you use I think having a paypal option is a good idea, as alot of people use paypal for online payments.

Posted: Sep 18, 2005 By: SuffolkDesigns Member since: Jul 5, 2005
  3. Jayne

2,920 8
    Thank You :D

Did they win then?

Jayne

Posted: Sep 18, 2005 By: Jayne Member since: Aug 6, 2005
  4. jayboi2005

jayboi2005 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    i wouldnt use PAYPAL because i have had alot of trouble with them, if you were to ever have a problem with them they make up the rules as they go along. there is a section in there 300 page terms which allows them to get away with this. i was with paypal and have now moved to NOCHEX as it is cheaper for me and much better, it also makes me feel better because i am using a british company. another thing with nochex is the customer doesnt have to me a member to pay you!

Posted: Sep 18, 2005 By: jayboi2005 Member since: Aug 27, 2005
  5. SuffolkDesigns

SuffolkDesigns UKBF Old Timer Full Member - Verified Business

2,763 360
    Yup, 3 - 0 And Owen scored his first goal for us :D :D :D (I suspect I might have 1 or 10 beers tonight.

I have been using paypal without any issues for over 3 years, we currently receive about £3000 per month through them.

Posted: Sep 18, 2005 By: SuffolkDesigns Member since: Jul 5, 2005
  6. BrightSparke

BrightSparke UKBF Newcomer Free Member

53 0
    Hi Jayne:

Just saw your post - a few moments after posting my own question on PayPal in this forum.

I currently use PayPal and - for sure - they will accept credit card payments from non-PayPal members in the UK and (pretty much) around the world.

Their development setup - including Sandbox - is good.

My question - and perhaps yours - is one of image. Are they seen as a credible payment provider for serious businesses as I'm sure your is?

Perhaps, take a look at the advice I get from my own query.

Peter

Posted: Oct 28, 2005 By: BrightSparke Member since: Apr 12, 2005
  7. Jayne

2,920 8
    Hi Peter,

Not actually used it yet, only just started this business and I'm doing free ads until end of Nov', i'll know more when I get some paying customers. I will read your thread though :D

Jayne

Posted: Oct 28, 2005 By: Jayne Member since: Aug 6, 2005
  8. MarkPearson

MarkPearson UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,012 1
    Hi Jayne,

Whats 2checkouts webaddress?

Posted: Oct 28, 2005 By: MarkPearson Member since: Jul 11, 2005
  9. Jayne

2,920 8
    Hi,

I didn't use them in the end, I got pay pal and Notchex...I don't know the web address for that one, I just typed the name in google an searched.

You have to pay for that one, the others are free :D

Jayne

Posted: Oct 28, 2005 By: Jayne Member since: Aug 6, 2005
  10. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,504 598
    We use paypal and World Pay - it is very good to have a backup when one goes wrong.

I have seen a lot of people criticise paypal's image. Indeed I think it looks a bit shabby on it's own.

But when you see the very high proportion of people who use it to pay even when given a 'more professional' alternative you have to question whether a lot of people don't actually prefer it these days. It's more a familiar/bigger brand than an of the other payment providers and customers like it.

Posted: Oct 29, 2005 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  11. webit

webit UKBF Ace Full Member

1,130 7
    I was just haveing a look at how this look on the SillyJokes site. When I folowed through with PPal with nothing in the cart I ended up on the PPal site with a server error:

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email protected] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.paypal.com Port 443

Posted: Oct 29, 2005 By: webit Member since: Jul 13, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.