123-reg email problem

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Hedgie, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan_HiHosting

Dan_HiHosting UKBF Ace Full Member

1,106 270
    123 Reg are just poor all round I'm afraid.

Google Apps Mail combined with a good web host is a very good combination in my opinion. We recommend google apps mail to all of our clients and include a wizard in cpanel to make setting it up a breeze (no fiddling with mx records, it's all done for you).

The mobile and multi device access, interface and functionality can't be beaten in our opinion. We're actually thinking of switching to google apps mail by default from the normal cpanel webmail clients for this reason.

Good luck with your move, I'm sure you'll wish you'd done it earlier!

Posted: May 23, 2012 By: Dan_HiHosting Member since: Mar 7, 2011
  2. mauahmed

mauahmed UKBF Newcomer Full Member

142 14
    I have noticed this as well. Try use different browsers. This might be a browser compatibility issue. THanks.

Posted: May 23, 2012 By: mauahmed Member since: Jul 5, 2006
  3. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,875 2,205
    I understand that today they are suffering a DOS directed from China

Posted: May 23, 2012 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  4. Faevilangel

Faevilangel Website Critic Full Member

7,564 2,404
    123-reg are under a DDOS from China, meaning their nameservers are not able to perform the usual duties.

I am lucky I have a great web host who informed me of the situation and helped me warn my clients. Unfortunately a DDOS isn't something you can 100% protect against so you just need to wait it out.

Posted: May 23, 2012 By: Faevilangel Member since: Jun 29, 2009
  5. Don

Don UKBF Contributor Free Member

36 3
    I use 123-reg for holding my domains (I have done so for at least 5 or 6 years) and redirecting to a VPS hosted elsewhere (Hi Hosting actually, previously Web Fusion). I've lost access to all my emails for now.

Last edited: May 23, 2012
    Posted: May 23, 2012 By: Don Member since: Jan 3, 2008
  6. GoPD

GoPD UKBF Newcomer Free Member

57 9
    This is whats just been posted. They have been claiming the problem is now resolved since just after midday;

Was worried as we have a domin name with them but it seems to have bypassed us as we've had no issues.

Posted: May 23, 2012 By: GoPD Member since: Apr 19, 2012
  7. 123reg

123reg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 1
    At around 11am today (23/05/12) 123-reg was included on a large scale DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) with the result of a traffic surge through to our DNS systems. This attack was identified by our network team who made immediate changes to remove the DDOS traffic from within our core network, and within 15 minutes key work was completed routing traffic through our redundant connections and blocking the incoming traffic on our core network.

Being the largest domain provider we are a prime target for this type of activity, and we know this type of activity is on the increase – particularly in Europe – as recent press coverage has shown.

With that in mind, 123-reg takes the protection and monitoring of our core infrastructure very seriously. To support that we have built in redundancy within the core network and a team in place to support this. Through that team we were able to quickly respond and start making changes immediately.

Our customers are our core focus, and keeping their sites and services online, and keeping them informed, is our top priority.

Generally our status page is updated with information of any work that is on-going, however in a DDoS situation like this customers may not be able to get to that page. Our first port of call is to update our phone status message, Tweet and post on FaceBook, which we did. During this period of time we had an influx of calls coming through to us where our phone system and team were able to inform customers of the current status.

123-reg are proud to be the UK’s choice for domain names and hosting services.

Regards,

Nerys

Posted: May 23, 2012 By: 123reg Member since: Feb 6, 2012
  8. webstore

webstore UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

702 106
    Thanks for this. We are big 123-reg fans (not sure you have many here in this forum?) having been 123-reg customers for domain management and email accounts since about 2005 and have had a trouble free experience until yesterday - save that of a few minor accounts glitches in the past.

In our experience it took until about 16:00 before we could fully reach our domains but we know others on different broadband networks could get to them much earlier.

Would this have been due to propagation delays to some downstream DNS servers after your DNS recovered ?

Posted: May 24, 2012 By: webstore Member since: Nov 7, 2010
  9. KRange

KRange UKBF Newcomer Free Member

120 7
    Im a fan of 123reg. They provide me with good templates, easy to use when uploading stock and managing stock. Might not be search engine friendly but the load time on the sites are good. The emails can be a bit slow and keep showing error messaging but as long as the site works for customers then im happy.

Posted: May 24, 2012 By: KRange Member since: Mar 13, 2012
  10. GoPD

GoPD UKBF Newcomer Free Member

57 9
    good to see the issue dealt with quite qucikly. We've found 123-reg fine for registering domains and continue to use them. Their hosting service we were less impressed with, more so the (lack of) customer support so we moved that elsewhere.

I'm guessing that the control panel now asks me to log in with an email rather than my username, though the username still works thankfully, means there are changes afoot to the slightly outdated admin panel which can only be a good thing.

Posted: May 24, 2012 By: GoPD Member since: Apr 19, 2012
  11. Free Wordpress

Free Wordpress UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    Yeah, I also have that issue before and trying to use different browser had solved the prob.

Posted: May 29, 2012 By: Free Wordpress Member since: May 29, 2012
  12. geoff2149

geoff2149 UKBF Contributor Free Member

46 1
    Totally dead again this monring, been trying for an hour to log in... totally useless... need to access a sent email urgently, If I cant access it in the next 30 minutes I could loose a huge contract... not a happy bunny this morning...

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 By: geoff2149 Member since: Oct 30, 2011
  13. geoff2149

46 1
    Still not working, spent all day speaking to 123-reg... all they keep asking me is which browser I am using... no further forward after 10 hours... has been working (to a fashion) ok up until this morning, now I only get errors when I try to log in... they keep asking me my IP address?? who my ISP is, what my email address and password is and what browser I am using.. It cant be any of them as nothing has changed from this end,,,same ISP as for the last 10 years, IP address is not static so how they can check that is beyond me, and user name and password also has not changed for over 5 years... All leads to a fault with their crappy webmail system... they need to look there not at my ip address and ISP?? is working fine on my phone and outlook... just their crappy webmail that isnt working... as per usuall...

Posted: Jun 6, 2012 By: geoff2149 Member since: Oct 30, 2011
  14. MASSEY

MASSEY UKBF Legend Full Member

10,328 1,783
    Maybe you were IP blocked?

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 By: MASSEY Member since: Nov 29, 2009
  15. geoff2149

46 1
    If I was IP blocked then would it not have effected all the devices connecting through my router?? All my other emails on my ipad, iphone and laptop were working fine... I went online earlier today and checked my IP address with a site that checks for blocks, and it came back fine..

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 By: geoff2149 Member since: Oct 30, 2011
  16. 123reg

123reg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 1
    Hello,

My name is Aidan, I work for 123-reg.

I managed to locate your support ticket, and I can see that you updated early this morning to say that your webmail system was functioning correctly again. I apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Should you experience this issue again, please do not hesitate to contact any member of our support staff, or feel free to DM me on this forum.

Thanks,

Aidan

Posted: Jun 7, 2012 By: 123reg Member since: Feb 6, 2012
  17. geoff2149

46 1
    Yes, it did work, for about 3 hours, then I started getting a fatal error message

[​IMG]

Now its back to not even letting me log in like it was yesterday...

18. geoff2149

46 1
    I believe in giving credit where credit is due, and I've Got to take my hat off to Aidan, just had a phonecall off him regarding my problems saying that they had identified a problem within the webmail system and wanting me to check that I could now log in.. worked striaght away, now up and running again..

Thank you Aidan for the great customer service...

19. OFFWITHHERHEAD

OFFWITHHERHEAD UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 4
    I hope I receive the same service - I haven't received any emails for 5 days now. I have potentially lost orders which I will not be able to respond to. Not impressed.

Posted: Jul 12, 2012 By: OFFWITHHERHEAD Member since: Jul 1, 2012
  20. astutiumRob

astutiumRob UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,315 241
    No emails for 5 days - and this is a business you're running ?
    I'd be looking for support or a new supplier if I didn't see an order for 30 minutes !

Posted: Jul 12, 2012 By: astutiumRob Member since: May 5, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.