123-reg email problem

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Hedgie, Feb 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,916 2,633
    As a sysadmin I'm well aware of how much work that will be, so it's admirable that you are taking those steps to protect users from themselves.

Posted: Feb 28, 2012 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  2. webfusion

webfusion UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 1
    If you are able to connect to the mailbox from another PC or mobile device that would suggest the mailbox is fine and that the issue is with the login details you have entered on the PC that is having issues accessing the mailbox. If you had entered the correct details for the username, incoming and outgoing servers, that would leave the password as the logical point of failure. Then if you reset the password and the mailbox works you know that is what the issue was.

If you are still having issues with your email can you DM me the details and I will look into it for you.

Posted: Feb 28, 2012 By: webfusion Member since: Apr 7, 2011
  3. giffgore

giffgore UKBF Newcomer Free Member

345 79
    Thank you for responding to the issue, it's appreciated.

Which competitor sends you on to debt collection agencies? I'd like to make sure I avoid them in the future at all costs.

The main issues I had with your auto-renewal are that, like I said, the text on the page to cancel domains is (was if you've actually updated it since) misleading and you didn't give me a refund. I had a similar issue with another registrar but they refunded me straight away when I called them. Your lot didn't help me at all.

PayPal seems to have agreed that the behaviour was wrong since they refunded me within 24 hours after filing a dispute, BTW, and it seems that this is common too.

If you must use auto-renewal, please ask users whether or not it should be turned on at the time they register the domain. If I register a domain and I see messages saying it's about to expire, I assume it'll do so if I don't take action. If someone wishes for a domain to auto-renew instead, make it clear that they can select this option when they register the domain. Don't make either the default and it's not your problem, but make auto-renewal the default option without being clear and customers will get angry, and rightly so.

Posted: Feb 28, 2012 By: giffgore Member since: Jan 31, 2012
  4. Dominic Taylor

Dominic Taylor UKBF Ace Full Member

1,174 254
    One which owns one of the other companies mentioned in this thread, a very large one :)

Posted: Feb 28, 2012 By: Dominic Taylor Member since: Jun 19, 2008
  5. DaiB

DaiB UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    I'm having the same problem with one of my webmail users. Try to debug this one:

If he logs into webmail using his email account on a specific XP and Win 7 PC using IE8 & IE9 repsectively with fully uptodate Windows Update the login opening spiral continues forever. Firefox gives the same result. If he uses other PCs it's fine. He created a new PC login account instead of using the Win 7 Administrator account and this new account worked fine. Explain that if you can! This problem has been consistent for weeks.

Posted: Mar 15, 2012 By: DaiB Member since: Mar 15, 2012
  6. murray crichton

murray crichton UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Does anyone have a step by step guide on how to move the email hosting to a new provder. i've had enough of them as well. Won't let me log in this morn.

I see the good folk from 123 are defending the product. But i'd like to point out other providers have worked round this problems why can't you.

Posted: Apr 23, 2012 By: murray crichton Member since: Dec 19, 2011
  7. ecenica

ecenica UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

648 104
    Moving away is easy. Steps depend on who you're swapping to. Most good hosts will be able to give you a step by step guide on what you need to do to move to them.

Rich

Posted: Apr 23, 2012 By: ecenica Member since: May 26, 2010
  8. murray crichton

murray crichton UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    Thanks for that, shall have a look at it today.

Posted: Apr 23, 2012 By: murray crichton Member since: Dec 19, 2011
  9. webstore

webstore UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

702 106
    We use 123-reg for domain registrations & POP3 email and have done so for about 8-years now. We find them to be most excellent especially as they seemingly have no upper limit on free email forwarding addresses of which we use loads. Having said that we do use spamarrest.com as a front end and the combination of the two work brilliantly for us.

Posted: Apr 24, 2012 By: webstore Member since: Nov 7, 2010
  10. rockdrummers

rockdrummers UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I too have experienced numerous issues accessing my 123 webmail. Particularly in the last week, including today. The standard reply seems to be to use Firefox, the support agent said 3 days ago:
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]
    "Unfortunately this is a known issue, our engineers are currently working to fix [/FONT]

[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]this.You can try changing your mailbox password and log into Webmail [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]using Firefox,remember to clear your browsers cache and cookies prior to this.If this [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]still does not help, try again later and until the issue is fixed use an[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]email client or a mobile device to send/receive email messages.[/FONT]
    "

This didn't really help as I don't know how to receive emails sent to the webmail account (which is for my business) in an 'email client' outside of 123 webmail. My mobile device would be in the same boat.

Then today I kept getting the same problems - unable to login, emails refusing to update, leaving me completely unsure if people are having problems trying to contact me. The agent said the same thing as above about Firefox - which I've tried - same errors. I have now tried this in Chrome, IE and Firefox - all of which result in the same problems.

So I then asked (today) how can I get the emails being sent to my 123 webmail account forwarded to my Gmail account (which never lets me down). The support agent said:

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]"Please note that <my 123 email address> is a mailbox and you can not forward a mailbox to another mailbox. If you wish to forward email messages directly to your Gmail mailbox, you will need to backup all your email messages, delete the [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]<my 123 email address>[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] mailbox and re-create it as an email forwarder address. Please note that if you do that, you will no longer be able to send any email messages from the [/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]<my 123 email address>[/FONT][FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] email address, have access to Webmail or set up the mailbox in an email client such as Outlook."[/FONT]

Does anyone know how this works? My concern is that if I was to reply from my Gmail account to any emails forwarded from my 123 'email forwarder address' that it will show my email address as the Gmail one, which some customers see as unprofessional. Any comments on how this works? I believe I initially tried to do the email forwarder route in the first place anyway but was led to believe I had to buy the 123 webmail account...

From an unhappy 123 reg customer!

Posted: Apr 26, 2012 By: rockdrummers Member since: Apr 26, 2012
  11. 123reg

123reg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 1
    Hello,

My name is Nerys and I work for 123 Reg.

Would it be possible to get some account details from you so we can look further into the issue you are having with the 123-Reg webmail service? I would need a username, domain name or support ticket ID.

I would like to be able to find out more about the cause of your webmail issues.

Regards,

Nerys

Posted: May 10, 2012 By: 123reg Member since: Feb 6, 2012
  12. geoff2149

geoff2149 UKBF Contributor Free Member

46 1
    I have been with 123-reg for quite a while now and have over 20 wesbites / domains hosted through them, I have too fallen foul of the auto renewal process in the past, but lately the webmail system has been unusable, not just for me but my clients who have emails through 123-reg who have all reported the same problems accessing webmail so I do not think it is just certain accounts, it seems the whole system that is faulty...

I have had problems on my webmail account for over 3 weeks now, sometimes it logs in, sometimes it does'nt, when you do get in most of the time you straight away get an error message that states "Warning: connection was refused or timed out while attempting to connect to remote server imap.123-reg.co.uk for user ********)" and you have to log straigh back out..... or after a couple of minutes you just get a random error like the ones shown below that mean nothing to a user.. and you have to log out and back in...

[​IMG]

Then, even worse, is when it does keep you logged in and you spend 10 minutes writing an email, you click send, nothing happens, the message greys out and after 2 minutes you get a "timed out error", you then have to log out, log back in and start all over again as it does not even save the unsent item as a draft... and as it greys the message out when trying to send it you can not even copy and paste the message...

My business relys on my ability to communicate through email, and at present I am having to log in and out of 123-reg webmail at leat 20 times an hour, it seems impossible to keep the webmail system open for more than 2 minutes without getting an error of some kind...

Last edited: May 10, 2012
    Posted: May 10, 2012 By: geoff2149 Member since: Oct 30, 2011
  13. Dan_HiHosting

Dan_HiHosting UKBF Ace Full Member

1,106 270
    It's all down to personal preference but I normally recommend Google Apps mail to our clients. The first 10 users are free, so as long as you don't need more users than that it's free. Of course you can have as many email aliases as you like I believe (e.g. [email protected] or [email protected] going to the same user account/login).

Most decent hosts will provide a wizard to have it automatically setup for you in your control panel.

Any decent host will also provide webmail, such as RoudCube, Squirrel Mail, Horde, Atmail Open etc. And if they're any good then you won't have any access issues at all. But personally I find Google Apps mail to have better functionality and a nicer interface, so that's what we recommend.

But really, your only issue should be which interface you like best, and not loss of service, which can have a terrible impact on a business.

Posted: May 10, 2012 By: Dan_HiHosting Member since: Mar 7, 2011
  14. ecenica

648 104
    Hi Geoff,

We've had a bunch of users switch from 123reg to our webmail over the last couple of weeks citing issues with their webmail - so you're not alone.

There's also a number of their users complaining about their webmail on Twitter.

Fingers crossed they get it sorted for you! If they don't feel free to get in touch.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Rich

Posted: May 11, 2012 By: ecenica Member since: May 26, 2010
  15. geoff2149

geoff2149 UKBF Contributor Free Member

46 1
    They seem to have fixed it over the weekend, I had no problems at all, was longged in for long periods of time... but come last night it is back to its usual tricks, constant errors and been logged out.. may even be worse... I think i'll be swapping mext time my hosting is due for re-newal..

Posted: May 15, 2012 By: geoff2149 Member since: Oct 30, 2011
  16. rockdrummers

rockdrummers UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Thanks to all for the replies, I just keep getting error messages like Geoff and emails coming through hours later that according to the time given next to the email, should have been visible hours earlier.

This weekend I will look at swapping to another provider but this time I will investigate what I'm signing up to first. Starting with Google Apps and then the ecenica ones.

I'm expecting it to be a nightmare to swap over from 123 reg webmail as I'm sure that won't be simple, but I'm sick of it for the following reasons:

1. It takes ages to load
    2. Constant error messages
    3. Bad support - "try it in Firefox" is a rubbish answer!
    4. Doesn't work on my mobile phone (Blackberry Bold 9790) so I can't access it on the go which nowadays is vital
    5. Takes ages to send messages with small attachments (e.g. 100kb)

Can the folks who recommended Ecenica and Google Apps tell me if they will work on a mobile phone? And also, if I sign up to one of those email services will I be able to use them without any issues considering that my domain name is registered with 123 Reg but the nameservers point towards Wix? My website was made with Wix so they are effectively hosting it.

I want to have the email address info<at>[I]mydomainname[/I].co.uk as a Gmail address looks unprofessional (at least that was the feedback I had from customers anyway).

Thanks again all.

Posted: May 16, 2012 By: rockdrummers Member since: Apr 26, 2012
  17. Dan_HiHosting

Dan_HiHosting UKBF Ace Full Member

1,106 270
    Hi Rockdrummers,

Any decent web host will help you solve your email woes.

Moving your webmail over can be surprisingly easy as long as the host has good customer service and will help you with it.

Using a good hosts email service or Google Apps Mail you'll be able to access your email on your mobile phone.

I'd personally recommend you ditch Wix and move to a decent host and perhaps consider Wordpress, as it's far better for SEO, and can produce more professional results. You're also not a slave to their restrictive systems then.

If you still want to use Wix then as long as they let you modify your MX (Mail Exchange) records then you can use Google Apps Mail. Otherwise, you could potentially get 123 Reg to provide those records.

If you're using Google Apps Mail then you can have info<at>yourdomainname.co.uk so that it looks professional. Effectively google will be handling all of your email for your domain name instead of 123 Reg or your web host, so to your contacts they won't be able to tell the difference, but you'll benefit from a nice familiar interface, and good mobile access. It's not the same as email forwarding to gmail, where you won't be able to send emails from your domain from within gmail.

I hope that helps.

If you've got any questions just let me know, I'll be happy to help.

Good luck :)

Posted: May 16, 2012 By: Dan_HiHosting Member since: Mar 7, 2011
  18. ecenica

648 104
    I've answered your questions just in case you get round to looking at Ecenica :)

Easy to switch from 123reg. (we've done it loads of times).

Can sync your Ecenica email with your Blackberry and any other smart phone.

Can keep domain with 123reg and no need to swap your current web host Wix.

Email sent from Ecenica will show your professional email address.

If anyone has any questions about our email services please feel free to ask them here, send us a private message via this forum or email us at [email protected].

All the best,

Rich

Posted: May 17, 2012 By: ecenica Member since: May 26, 2010
  19. Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd

Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Quest - Enabling Businesses Through Creative IT Full Member - Verified Business

255 47
    Hi Rockdrummers,

We'll jump into the mix here as well... we do hosted Microsoft Exchange mailboxes, £3.50 per unique mailbox per month (no charge for aliases or distribution groups), gives you mobile email (iPhone, Android and Blackberry), calendaring, syncing, 25 GB mailbox, anti-virus, anti-spam, and Outlook Web App...

And it's really easy to switch from other providers :)

PM me if you want more details!

Cheers

Ryan

Last edited: May 17, 2012
    Posted: May 17, 2012 By: Quest Cloud Solutions Ltd Member since: Mar 30, 2012
  20. keepitsecret

keepitsecret UKBF Regular Free Member

287 23
    This morning.. I cannot even connect to webmail.123-reg.co.uk

This is an appauling service and think we're going to have to change now.. been on and off for months.

Posted: May 23, 2012 By: keepitsecret Member since: Nov 26, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.