£1 for free ebay

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Jason_Lee, Sep 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puresilva

puresilva UKBF Newcomer Free Member

108 11
    Yup....and YouTube started with around $3,500,000 invested in it.

Google got a cheque for $100,000 not long after they started - that might not sound a lot, but that allows a company to get to the next stage. (link here). Oh, and inventing a superior search algorithm helped them too....

Posted: Mar 21, 2007 By: puresilva Member since: Jan 30, 2007
  2. garyk

garyk UKBF Legend Full Member

5,994 1,017
    Yes and of course the key here is that they innovated which is probably why they would have got seed funding in the first place. If you went to VC/investor with a copy-cat idea chances are you wont see any money!

Posted: Mar 21, 2007 By: garyk Member since: Jun 14, 2006
  3. stugster

stugster UKBF Legend Full Member

9,345 2,078
    Hey guys, would anyone be interested in this idea... I need an investment to get it going, but it's this communication system.

It will allow you to send and receive data, for example, documents, spreadsheets, or even like, pages. We can have it as a world-wide service too!

We'll call it, the Internet!

Posted: Mar 21, 2007 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  4. templarmc

templarmc UKBF Newcomer Free Member

485 50
    I think this has all the hallmarks of a classic thread - good advice, tantrums, wacko ideas, tiffs, but did it actually solve the original poster's concerns?

Bidalot, I think you're one in a million; you clearly have determination, energy & belief, and a stubborn streak a mile wide. Often these traits make entrepreneurs, and I wish you every success, but you should also take advice on board.

You remind me of kids that stick their fingers in their ears and say "I'm not listening, nananananana" ..... This is fine, as long as you don't end up having a Violet Elizabeth "I'll scweam and scweam" hissy fit when it all goes pear-shaped.

Going back to Jason's (and biddy's) point, my question would be - if it wasn't for eBay, would you still have an idea? Seems to me eBay is both the inspiration & the competition for your enterprise, but how does your empire compare with it? How can you possibly hope to compete, surely it's a question of investment, scope, market share but most of all - it's been tried many times before and failed, so why would you succeed?

Posted: Mar 21, 2007 By: templarmc Member since: Sep 8, 2006
  5. da8iwr

da8iwr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,187 134
    Ive seen the link there, but i have a book wrote by David A Vise called " The Google Story" which says the rest of the story.

Watch out for history lesson here :)

Sergeys (one of the 2 who invented google), his Mother is a NASA scientist, and his father teaches Maths at the Uni of Maryland and his grandfather was a professor of Maths. I also read somewhere that his father had some form of Noble prize in Maths and his son was equally as good in Maths.

It was Larry (the other inventor) who first invented it, and the two became best buds.

They then received a $20,000 computer set up form the uni to help them
    and
    $10,000 cash from the Stanford Digital Libraries Project

They both worked for 18-21hrs per day every day for 3 yrs, and didn't do anything as they had the meeting with the $100K bloke to show him a working version of the system.

They were allowed to stay at the uni for 3 yrs and continue their studies as well as use all the resources and mind/man power for free. After that they moved a Garage and paid $1700 per month (must of been a nice garage) and continued

The reason I'm saying this, is because most of the times, its not just money, its all the other huge elements. With a set of coincidences like this, where 2 of the worlds top level (of the whole planet) students meet by chance, both have similar outlooks, financial backing, professors of MIT and other Uni's at their finger tips for advice and help, and dedication to work 18-20hrs per day for three years solid, only success should come off.

But money does help of course ;)

Posted: Mar 21, 2007 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  6. Eagle

Eagle UKBF Legend Free Member

5,382 598
    Ever fancied going on Dragon's Den? Now that would make great television... :D

Posted: Mar 21, 2007 By: Eagle Member since: Oct 3, 2004
  7. puresilva

puresilva UKBF Newcomer Free Member

108 11
    Agreed.....a lot of things fell into place - a mixture of privilege, talent and dedication.

Not to sound too negative (more realistic) - a lot of equally talented people in India, China, Thailand, Phillipines or perhaps even on a Wolverhampton council estate with equal amounts of dedication will likely not stand a chance now to compete with other search engines because of the money aspect. Back in 1996, it was still possible - now? I'd absolutely love to be proven wrong here (being a fan of Google, but not being a fan of their domination of the market).

Posted: Mar 22, 2007 By: puresilva Member since: Jan 30, 2007
  8. da8iwr

1,187 134
    Its 4.30am, what you still doing up???

See you and me will one day make it with dedication like this to be still working lol.

There again, i don't entirely agree on your statement. Your right a guy from Hendon in sunderland (highest crime rate area in the UK and 2 Min's from my house :() cant compete with Google, but they also cant compete with Ford, but that isn't being looked at here, as ford has been going 100+ years and people forget that real massive companies are being born into the internet world.

The internet is still only a baby, but is growing fast, much faster than anybody ever realised, and there will be enormous companies like in all other industries. But there is also room for smaller guys like you and I. Look at the size of Wimpy and Barratts, but there area Hundreds of smaller companies and self employed builders per city in the UK.

If nutters like Duncan Bannatyne can make it from Glasgow, and all the other hidden Gems of the entrepreneur world, then I'm sure anybody on here can do it.

You just need to find an opening, a realistic market, and be good at what you do.

Don't try to re-invent Google, EBay, BBC, Ford, Gucci, Sony, Dell, Ikea, and all the other major companies, as it just wont happen.

Unless you win the lottery on a rollover :D

Posted: Mar 22, 2007 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  9. bidonalot

bidonalot UKBF Newcomer Free Member

60 0
    can you recall when ebay started, did they have a lot of registrations?
    maybe they had one, then two, then three and so on, exactly the point
    i have more on my auction than ebay to offer, my site is very easy to navigate, you dont even have to search for what youre looking for as there is a category for almost every item, im well ahead of ebay now and have twice the amout of categories, soon im doing away with the probid site and replacing it with a new one thats going to have more features than the best online auction, you will soon stop ridiculing me when you see the features, its costing a few thousand but im sure this will work

Posted: Jun 13, 2007 By: bidonalot Member since: Dec 24, 2006
  10. Scott-Copywriter

Scott-Copywriter UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,731 2,674
    Whey Bitonalot is back!

Seriously now though, I've repeated myself so many times, telling you exactly why your venture will not work but you don't listen. I give up. Just do whatever you want to do and you will learn your lesson in due time :)

Posted: Jun 13, 2007 By: Scott-Copywriter Member since: May 10, 2006
  11. bidonalot

60 0
    i have more on my auction than ebay to offer, my site is very easy to navigate, you dont even have to search for what youre looking for as there is a category for almost every item, im well ahead of ebay now and have twice the amout of categories, soon im doing away with the probid site and replacing it with a new one thats going to have more features than the best online auction, you will soon stop ridiculing me when you see the features, its costing a few thousand but im sure this will work

12. Gillie

Gillie UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

13,198 1,481
    Scott, don't start again please! To mock hope is to kill a man!!

Let him be, and eventually he will either prove himself or die trying, either way, your conscience is clear mate, so don't mock!

Posted: Jun 13, 2007 By: Gillie Member since: Apr 12, 2006
  13. bidonalot

60 0
    I DONT HAVE AN HOTMAIL ADDRESS
    I Will remove you if you want from the database tell me who you are as i have more than 7, maybe you should add a few zeros,ive told everyone not to list anything yet untill thr grand opening day,surprises in store

14. Zii

Zii UKBF Newcomer Full Member

283 0
    Bidonalot - I really do hope you succeed and if you read all my posts you will see that.

1) I take it you have identified me from the 000's of subscribers as you have started to email me.

2) Please be professional and stop emailing me things like:

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]whats this
    Phone Number : 333 333333333
    , would ebay accept this as a phone number

Finally - Good Luck.
    [/FONT]

Posted: Jun 14, 2007 By: Zii Member since: Mar 19, 2007
  15. da8iwr

1,187 134
    Not wanting to restart or repeat many posts in this thread. But eBay didn't start like that.

It was a group of investors in Silicon Valley who set up eBay, they bought with millions of dollars as many other large auction sites as they could to hold a monopoly over the market. So then all the auction items and all the visitors from each site were directed and held in one site.

This is still continuing today, they are reportedly still buying auction sites in countries and areas where they arnt as well known.

But by the sounds of the emails your sending out, you may need more than good marketing to make your site work.

Good luck
    Ian

Posted: Jun 14, 2007 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  16. da8iwr

1,187 134
    Oh also, you all may find this a little fun if you want to see how eBay started.
    http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.ebay.com

Check out 14-06-1997, the first page ever shown by eBay.

Also http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.google.com Look at 2nd of Dec 98, the first ever Google page when it was being built in Beta.

When i first found this site some time ago, i never did any work all day, as was to busy looking at sites like the BBC, Microsoft (advertising Win 95 being released) Apple, and so on.

Posted: Jun 14, 2007 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  17. simply-kids.co.uk

simply-kids.co.uk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

53 0
    I have come accross this post before and only really now started to read the posts

Id like to see the new auction site, but cant find any links and after reading the posts I have lost interest. I hope the new auction site has as much effort put into it as is being put in here replying to these posts

Posted: Jun 14, 2007 By: simply-kids.co.uk Member since: Jan 22, 2007
  18. adam

adam UKBF Newcomer Free Member

930 42
    Wasn't it bidonalot and then .co.uk? It will be good to see, you have the passion for replying as said above but you need to have something to get people using it. That you might have, I do not know, I make no judgement but we would like to see it.

Posted: Jun 14, 2007 By: adam Member since: Sep 12, 2004
  19. stugster

stugster UKBF Legend Full Member

9,345 2,078
  20. joanna116

joanna116 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 0
    Wow,it's really difficult at the beginning.
    How can let others know that?Everyone know ebay,so there are huge sellers and buyers.

Posted: Jun 14, 2007 By: joanna116 Member since: Jun 6, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.