IT & Internet Brought to you by Jolt
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Working with flat files - does that mean Excel or is there a better way - Magento?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Page, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

We increasingly need to handle data related to stock items and for some of these tasks we need data in flat file form

I am happy using excel and it has its strengths such as drag data down columns to fill them with the same data as the start field - nice and fast

But staring at all those columns and rows is not as nice as saying working on a form in Access

So I was wondering if anyone had any comments or ideas

I had for example wondered about using something like Magento with attributes since I am then working with a database with a good interface structure built around it

Posted: Mar 29, 2011 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  2. FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper

FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper UKBF Ace Free Member

What is it you need to do that requires a flat file format as opossed to a database, and how would you do this with Magento, import and export CSV?

You can create forms to perform powerful tasks in Excel using the VBA Macro features.

If you want to see a couple of examples just PM me your email address (Mine are Excel 2007 so not compatible with earlier versions).

Posted: Mar 29, 2011 By: FreelanceSoftwareDeveloper Member since: Sep 14, 2009
  3. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

Yes upload CSV files

Back in the distant past I created after much learning a relational database using Access. I went down this route because it seemed to be the recommended way. But it was to me pretty complicated to maintain and alter especially as I would only do it occasionally and so be only an occasional user of Access.

The data was originally in Excel and I moved to Access because the limitations were becoming apparent to me

But Excel has now moved on and I think has features that makes it more feasible to work with large flat files that if they were there before I was not really aware of

We now need the data to be available in some shape or form in a flat file be it exported from a database or whatever.

I had also pictured Excel being easier for others to work with because they are familiar with the program. I see it as the quick and dirty solution.

I used to feel that I could get something off the shelf to handle all this data rather than my own database but once I looked at this I realised that what I needed was - yes a database

But I have now seen things Magento which might be suitable by using attributes and which gives a user interface but there might be something even more suitable

I have had Access and Excel talking to each other but only with one of them being able to edit the data. The perfect solution would be both of them working on the same data by accessing the same tables and both being able to alter the data

Posted: Mar 30, 2011 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007
  4. JackieC

JackieC UKBF Newcomer Full Member

As ChannelCommerce has mentioned, it is easy enough to get a form to pop-up on Excel to allow you to edit the data which will then populate the relevant row of data once you hit a "submit" button on the form. Within that you can also test the data for completeness or other rules before allowing the "submit" to proceed.

Jackie

Posted: Mar 30, 2011 By: JackieC Member since: Aug 28, 2008