Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Which UK web hosting is the best ?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Akzham, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Akzham

Akzham UKBF Contributor Full Member

Hi everybody,

I am currently hosting my domain names on iPage but their servers are located in US so it's not the best thing for SEO, I want to transfer my domains here in UK but I have no idea about which company to choose.
    What is the best quality/price here ?

Posted: Mar 23, 2013 By: Akzham Member since: Mar 11, 2013
  2. Jolt.co.uk

Jolt.co.uk UKBF Regular Full Member

There's a lot of hosting companies that operate in the UK.

There's the big ones, remaining nameless, who you'll find in cover to index in .net magazine and spending millions on expensive TV campaigns. There's the one man bands who try to make a little bit of extra income with no longevity or sustainable business plan, and will often disappear overnight. Then there's the middle of the road providers like us, and some other reputable providers that frequent this forum.

Make sure you do your due diligence on whoever you choose

- reputation/reviews
    - length of time in business
    - services to meet your needs

Matt

Posted: Mar 23, 2013 By: Jolt.co.uk Member since: Mar 1, 2011
  3. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

The definition for Best web hosting provider will differ from customer to customer.. Some might compare it with price , while other might like support.
    It completely depends on what's your requirement and what you are looking for.

As Matt suggested check for reviews , try contacting the web hosting providers look how they respond to your questions ,shortlist them and then decide.

Posted: Mar 24, 2013 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  4. Merchant UK

Merchant UK UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

Every one is different offering a wide variety of products, its like saying what car is best.

You need to write down what you want from a host and then see which one meets your expectations

Posted: Mar 24, 2013 By: Merchant UK Member since: Aug 15, 2010
  5. Leo-InstallingIT

Leo-InstallingIT UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

As others have said, there is no hard and fast rule. But make sure you pick someone who can offer decent support.

Do you know how much disk space & bandwidth you need?

I know iPages offer Unlimited, however as everyone will tell you, you are much better going with a host that will provide you with what you need. (Unlimited doesn't exist).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
    Posted: Mar 24, 2013 By: Leo-InstallingIT Member since: Oct 7, 2006
  6. sunnywang

sunnywang UKBF Newcomer Free Member

We have had good experiences with United Hosting in UK. I would recommend them.

Posted: Mar 24, 2013 By: sunnywang Member since: Mar 21, 2013
  7. SetupaCompany

SetupaCompany UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Just a thought but moving to UK hosting may not make much of a difference to your SEO - the likely benefit is minimal.

That said it could just make the difference between you and a competitor in terms of who is listed above who but the impact will not be drastic so keep that in mind when weighing the costs and time needed to move server.

Posted: Mar 24, 2013 By: SetupaCompany Member since: Sep 12, 2012
  8. astutiumRob

astutiumRob UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

Distance to google, location of server(s) and page-load-time all have _some_ impact, and all would improve by moving from iPage to a decent UK host.

Far more important than any actual or perceived benefit in SEO should be the benefits to the end user ...

Posted: Mar 24, 2013 By: astutiumRob Member since: May 5, 2004
  9. iKam

iKam UKBF Regular Free Member

Check out Vidahost, we used to be with 1&1 and the difference is like from driving a rover to a Bentley. Without a major price increase. I don't say that Vidahost is as cheap as 1&1 but for a few for quid you get to talk to a proper human being giving proper support than the robots at 1&1 and they have always gone the extra mile with us. Such as installing software on our dedicated server which they didn't have to!

Posted: Mar 24, 2013 By: iKam Member since: Jan 21, 2013
  10. SetupaCompany

SetupaCompany UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Abosolutely - moving to a UK host may have some impact and even a small benefit can be a good enough reason to move but people do tend to over-estimate the importance of their hosting location for SEO.

Posted: Mar 24, 2013 By: SetupaCompany Member since: Sep 12, 2012
  11. Alan

Alan UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

It is easy to test transatlantic impact on web page load times, there are plenty of tools out there.

The tests I have performed show a fairly consistent 4 seconds extra on page load times. Regardless of SEO, thats enough to convince me that a site should be located near its users.

Posted: Mar 24, 2013 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  12. ITsoldUK

ITsoldUK UKBF Newcomer Full Member

Yup and to extend, choose 3 and take the average load time.

Many of these 'tool' providers show skewed results to plug a service they are affiliated with.

OR you could do worse than use Mozilla's FIREBUG

Posted: Mar 25, 2013 By: ITsoldUK Member since: Sep 15, 2011
  13. [devnull]

[devnull] UKBF Newcomer Free Member

As with most services support is key, test out any potential host by getting in touch with them and asking a few questions, the feedback can be an easy decision maker.

Posted: Mar 25, 2013 By: [devnull] Member since: Oct 21, 2011
  14. ITsoldUK

Aye, wrote an article here saying just that.

15. Jolt.co.uk

I like the idea behind your article but the problem that plagues are industry is that so many 1 man bands start a host, offer great support for the initial 5 clients they get (as that isn't a huge load) and then disappear overnight when they've run out of money/interest/time.

We see this happen time and time again. I'm compelled to comment, as it taints our industry.

I'd suggest that you do contact the hosting company and see what type of a response you get. Then look up some current clients and seek their opinions. Use social media (Facebook/Twitter/LinkedIn) so you know the client is real and not just a fake review. And build your opinions based on that.

Just to close, I'm definitely not against the 1 man bands building a good hosting company when it is a business and not a hobby. I was there myself when starting out. But make sure it is a viable business. Write that business plan. Create those forecasts. Predict where you will be in 1, 3 and 5 years.

Posted: Mar 25, 2013 By: Jolt.co.uk Member since: Mar 1, 2011
  16. ITsoldUK

Spot on, and I have been around long enough to know of many 'hosts' who fall into your criteria. Fortunately I chose my SP through 'inside knowledge' as I came from a branch of this industry.

Just to clarify that a 1 man band CAN run an efficient reseller hosting services as long as the technical/support infrastructure is in place as stated above.

I feel I should point out that I offer hosting to my clients ONLY and have done for many years. But I must point out, I DO NOT sell hosting openly as it is a VAS to my clients ONLY.

I may well add your well stated point, check out their clients...as this is pretty much a no brainer these days and is extremely pertinent.

17. Jolt.co.uk

Yep. And someone on social media is much more likely to be a real person than just another artificial revue.

Posted: Mar 25, 2013 By: Jolt.co.uk Member since: Mar 1, 2011
  18. altwebdesign

altwebdesign UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

I use heartinternet.co.uk

best customer service I have ever experienced.

Prices are a little high but I feel its worth it for the customer service.

Posted: Mar 25, 2013 By: altwebdesign Member since: Dec 3, 2009
  19. FIZIX Agency

FIZIX Agency UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I've heard the opposite with heart to be honest. They used to be good, a lot of designers who I know and trust used to recommend them, now less so; which is a shame.

For the best, depends on what you're looking for, your needs and what your budgetary requirements are.

In theory, someone like Rackspace are "the best" but then not exactly relevant to x% of people looking for hosting.

Posted: Mar 25, 2013 By: FIZIX Agency Member since: Jul 9, 2012
  20. Mike_Scott

Mike_Scott UKBF Newcomer Free Member

On the lookout for new hosting too - watching this thread :)

Posted: Mar 25, 2013 By: Mike_Scott Member since: Jul 10, 2008