Which business is best for self employed?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by da8iwr, Mar 20, 2007.

1. da8iwr

da8iwr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I have a friend who is wanting to start his own company, and has been told by a relative he can use £12.5K of some money he inherited.

The money is an investment, not a gift, so he is to pay it back over time as a real investor would require, so it needs to be a sensible idea that will make money.

He wants to start a business and test the water of self employment but has had some wacky ideas so far, anybody any suggestions or directions for him?

His only requirements
    • Needs to be able to be done from home
    • He is lazy so cant be hard manual work
    • He has no transport (except public of course)
    I'm sure you get the idea lol

Ian

Posted: Mar 20, 2007 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  2. fisrow

fisrow UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Firstly if he is lazy the business will not be that successful, as for ideas ask him what he enjoys and let him try come up with ideas about how he can make money from what he enjoys.

Posted: Mar 20, 2007 By: fisrow Member since: Mar 12, 2007
  3. Guest

I think lazy is the killer

I said on another thread that the best model is direct marketing,

and a safe way to start, is first get used to the market research needed
    to get a 70-100% markup on ebay - I wrote an ebook on this, and just handed it out free!

Then research a niche and sell small good value items to create a list, making the profits from selling related high value items tothe same list.

This is a back door into a fully fledged ecommerce business.

And it need not cost more than a few hundred for stock

Posted: Mar 20, 2007 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  4. Comspec

Comspec UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

12.5k gives im a lot of options, but if he is a lazy sod, then most ideas will not work - you get what you put in.

Tell him to give it to me & i'll give him a good return on it ;)

Posted: Mar 20, 2007 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
  5. David White

David White UKBF Newcomer Full Member

If he can sell and market himself and a product, he can buy a Zmag licence from me and re-sell it. £4320 for 50 eCatalog and 1 years hosting and he can re-sell these at £200 each and make a healthy profit of 10k + and still have 8k to play with.

If he can't sell then tell him to learn, everyone in business needs sales and marketing skills.

Posted: Mar 20, 2007 By: David White Member since: Jan 29, 2007
  6. anarrowmiss

anarrowmiss UKBF Newcomer Free Member

He may be best to try several good MLMs with very little investment and give the money back to his grandma end of story

tell him to go here www.directmatches.com/anarrowmiss ... he will be in contact with many many opportunites to work from home and earn good money

Karen

Posted: Mar 20, 2007 By: anarrowmiss Member since: Oct 4, 2006
  7. swisslogistics

swisslogistics UKBF Newcomer Free Member

ive got some handbags that he could resell.... lol ... joke!!

Ive got an idea, but I cant be bothered to type up a long winded proposal right now so il pm you tommorow and see what you think, you wouldnt have to invest all of that money and as long as you work on a very simple basis it should work, he will have to put in some effort tho as you dont get didly squat for nothing im afraid!

If it were that easy we would all be sitting back doing nothing (personally I couldnt do that anyway...there is a buz in business, it drives some people, it kills others)

Best Regards

Khalid

Posted: Mar 20, 2007 By: swisslogistics Member since: Dec 4, 2006
  8. da8iwr

That's much more of a response than i thought i would get, and some very interesting ideas.

ZMag
    Did you know i own a site called www.joomlamagazine.com, i think your product may look very good on there, as i intend to make a monthly Ezine to show news etc (its in the middle of a total overhaul). I also noticed you made your site in Mambo, you bad boy, get it converted to Joomla, much better system ;).

ANarrowMiss
    Isn't a MLMs (Multi Level Marketing Scheme) a posh name for a pyramid scheme, or better known as a scam lol. If I'm wrong i would love to hear more, as i have to say its not my field and i maybe completely wrong.

Kimmrunner
    That's prob the best solution to a nice scalable business. My Mum is retired now, and was a seamstress and used to own a haberdashery. 3 yrs or so back she asked how can she sell bits on the net, so i helped her on to eBay http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/sugarpolo/ and made her a small little site with Joomla and VirtueMart. She made enough money to buy an old farm in the south west of France last summer and buggered off.

All by walking around car boot sales, and buying old knitting machines for £5 and selling them for hundreds on eBay. She would buy a whole lot of stuff from old ladies who decided not to use their knitting machines anymore and wanted to sell the whole lot, wool, books and machines for £50 or so. My mum would then sell the items individually the wool, mags, equipment, even tables and stands etc in separate auctions. They were bought by people from the developing countries like Hungary, Lithuania, Poland and the Baltic regions to make a living from.

I think my friend is wanting to get himself stuck into a nice website mind you, so he can work from his bed the lazy toe-rag. Something that he will have professionally made (by me hopefully), and then he will market and operate it himself and make squillions of pounds.

Which sector or direction would anybody advise him to go into?

Thanks for the comments and ideas by the way, keep them rolling :)

Posted: Mar 21, 2007 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  9. garyk

garyk UKBF Big Shot Full Member

If he's lazy forget starting your own business, tell him to put it towards a deposit on a house and go and get a job.

Posted: Mar 21, 2007 By: garyk Member since: Jun 14, 2006
  10. stugster

stugster UKBF Newcomer Free Member

What about staring a car valeting business? Buy a second hand van, £1000, a couple of sponges, a bit of marketing, and a nice big sticker for the van.

He does the first couple of cars, and then he gets someone else to drive the van on a commission basis?

Posted: Mar 21, 2007 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  11. Gavin Harris

Gavin Harris UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Actually, that's not a bad idea.

He'd be better off as a property investor, buying properties to let. Once one property has generated enough equity, release it to put down as a deposit on another property, and so on. And there's a great pension sat ready :)

But he'll need another proper job (not self employed) to cover the mortgage should the property be un-let for any period of time.

Posted: Mar 21, 2007 By: Gavin Harris Member since: Dec 13, 2006
  12. Mr. Mu

Mr. Mu UKBF Newcomer Free Member

How about car valeting connected with a free ad publisher/site? I just put my car in for sale and could REALLY do with a postcode-related, standard-price approved valeter come and sort it.

(drums fingers... ) ;-)

Posted: Mar 21, 2007 By: Mr. Mu Member since: Dec 7, 2006
  13. anarrowmiss

anarrowmiss UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Nope MLMs and MRMs are not illegal scams at all! (well if they are they very soon get shut down good style)
    Directmatches is a business and social network in association with us chamber of commerce and dsa so those alliances alone make it bona fide and worthwhile!

To hear a fantastic presentation about DirectMatches and what the company is all about, click on: www.dmbiztrainingspace.com

Then ill extend a personal invite for you to advertise your business for FREE and put your FREE profile on there. The rest is up to you!

go to www.directmatches.com/anarrowmiss
    Cheers
    Karen

Posted: Mar 22, 2007 By: anarrowmiss Member since: Oct 4, 2006
  14. da8iwr

Karen, you missed what i was saying completely, i wasn't saying it was an illegal activity in anyway, in fact i know a few do pay back, but in general, overall, the MLM (pyramid) scheme is looked at very badly, and is proven that if it really is as good as they say, its impossible to work. There just isn't enough people in the world. So somebody somewhere in the chain (pyramid) will loose out, as they will have no body to sell to.

But i really know nothing about them, apart from my female flat mate has had a few adult toy parties with a well known company, and a friend of the family sell house hold cleaning products. But both were talking about how much money they could make, but neither made too much from it.

But don't get me wrong, its better than sitting on your jack doing nowt on an evening and watching soaps.

Just out of interest, why don't you use the name pyramid scheme anymore, which is how everybody really knows them.

Posted: Mar 22, 2007 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006