Where should I start if I want to learn internet marketing?

Discussion in 'SEO, PPC and Online Marketing' started by Amazin, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Amazin

Amazin UKBF Regular Free Member

Any help or advice would be appreciated. If not, know any good internet marketing forums so I can ask on there?

I know someone who's making a full time living out of his website (about basketballs). I wish I can do the same but of course, it will probably take years. :(
    Posted: Nov 11, 2012 By: Amazin Member since: Mar 24, 2009
  2. TotallySport

TotallySport UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

best way is experience, getting started simply build a few web sites and market them, you'll soon find out what works and what doesn't.

when you need info on specifics, ask the question in the forum.

Or offer to do it for other people for free, but go for smaller businesses, you don't want to do damage to someone already successful site.

There is loads of information out there but without the experience, sorting out the good and the bad will be hard.
    Posted: Nov 11, 2012 By: TotallySport Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  3. david64

david64 UKBF Contributor Free Member

Yes, it will take years.

To do something sustainable from scratch on a shoestring you will need:
    - to be able to identify a workable niche
    - program
    - design, at least to some extent
    - know how search engines work
    - know how you can get people to the site

In terms of SEO, SEOMoz have some decent guides, but what you have to consider is that a lot of advice is biased based on the budgets the author has experience of. There is also a lot of advice that is parroted.

As a starting point, find something you like and come up with a concept for a site where there is little competition or competition you can handle.
    Posted: Nov 12, 2012 By: david64 Member since: Mar 17, 2009
  4. WeblinkPlus

WeblinkPlus UKBF Contributor Free Member

Not necessarily. Depends on you. If you're a 'can do' person, then it might take weeks...

There are numerous ways to make money online. I'd pick one that suits you and spend a week or a month (insert set time that you think you need), and learn everything you can about it within that timeframe. Then just go out and try it out for size... It'll cost you a domain name, hosting and your time. Not a huge price to pay for financial freedom.

Focus initially on learning marketing - way more important than the techy stuff. You can hire freelancers to do almost anything technical.

Ask specific questions on forums, but don't accept any answers blindly. Test everything.

If you can find a trustworthy mentor, that'll almost certainly shorten the learning curve. But I personally prefer the DIY route where ever possible, as most Gurus are full of sh*t :p and much of the information out there is, at best, half truths.

I'd suggest you start with some form of ecommerce site as most are done poorly with little attempt to market the goods.
    Posted: Nov 12, 2012 By: WeblinkPlus Member since: Sep 13, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. webgeek

webgeek UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

Try Inbound Marketing University - it's designed to teach step by step, instead of a collection of fresh *cough* (half out of date) SEO advice from Rand's team at Moz.

It'll get your feet wet. From there, you should have good ideas on what you still need to learn more about.
    Posted: Nov 12, 2012 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. WebProStars

WebProStars UKBF Newcomer Free Member

A good place to start would be the warrior forum - packed with tips and people wanting you to sell their 'one click' solution to you. There are some real gems of advice on there though but don't rush in and buy everything you see and focus on one thing at a time!
    Posted: Nov 14, 2012 By: WebProStars Member since: Nov 14, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. darren atkinson

darren atkinson UKBF Regular Free Member

8. trebor8

trebor8 UKBF Contributor Free Member

Is that impartial advice or *cough* affiliate advice?
    Posted: Nov 14, 2012 By: trebor8 Member since: Feb 20, 2010
  9. webgeek

Impartial. I don't earn anything if you attend HubSpot's free university.
    Posted: Nov 14, 2012 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. MarcusMiller

MarcusMiller UKBF Contributor Full Member

Distilled have launched a new SEO University called Distilled U. They are an incredibly knowledgeable company operating at the top of the game so I would imagine the content is top draw.

Still, as mentioned above, there is no substitute for experience and setting up your own site and following a structured program for a year or so would probably be your best bet.

You could always first start by identifying the specific areas you want to focus on - SEO, Content Marketing & Social Media are all hot and have a lot of crossover. Then, sprinkle a bit of Conversion Rate Optimisation, Analytics and even look at a couple of email marketing tools and you would start to get a handle on the basics.

In fact, there is a great guide called the Noobs Guide to Internet Marketing. It is a six month program for the promotion of a new site and covers the main Internet Marketing areas including Social Media, Email Marketing, Lead Gen, Organic Search (SEO), Conversion Rate Optimisation, Content Marketing, Analytics and Pay Per Click.

If you were to set up a new site and follow this guide it would provide the backbone for your studies. It would take some additional learning on each of the subjects to really get the most from this but there is no substitute for experience and this could be a solid approach.

Internet Marketing is a broad topic - you can learn the basics in a short time and focus on a niche or specific area but there is lots to learn and it can be a fast moving area so... best of luck! :)

Marcus

Couple of Links:

http://www.distilled.net/u/
    http://www.seomoz.org/blog/the-noob-guide-to-online-marketing-with-giant-infographic-11928
    Posted: Nov 15, 2012 By: MarcusMiller Member since: Apr 21, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. eventdomain

eventdomain Banned

Its vital that you stand out from the crowd from the off. This means being either truly unique or partially unique, at least offering value where people can't get it easily elsewhere.

The best senario is where you own a sector eg: you provide information/service in bulk and a way noone else can match it. Being different has huge advantages and usually means some form of targeting and serving of a specific market. This makes it much easier to obtain sales, although can reduce sales numbers, but how much cash do you need to survive, and I know niches that make minimum of £25k a year and often £100k plus.

Marketing online needs certain things and you'll need at least the following to start you off:

Onsite SEO
    Tons of links eg: at least 50k's worth - don't forget you WILL be a new player in the market and not established or advertised yet. Hence, you need to stand out as widely as possible and on the right websites.

A blog for updates, news and even sector information.
    Youtube account for video uploads.
    Newsletter
    Email bulk sender and CMS
    Social bookmarks Icons 0n-site
    Your company bookmark link
    Twitter account

there are others, but the above will be more than enough to get you a basic web presense started.

You will need other in-house web-based tools at a later date.
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
    Posted: Nov 15, 2012 By: eventdomain Member since: Apr 23, 2009
  12. trebor8

trebor8 UKBF Contributor Free Member

Sorry to labour this but are you a Hubspot affiliate?

I do feel, if those who offer advice with a link, should state there position if indeed they're in any way affiliated/partnering
    Posted: Nov 15, 2012 By: trebor8 Member since: Feb 20, 2010
  13. webgeek

I am not a HubSpot affiliate. I have never received, nor do I intend to receive, any payments from HubSpot.

In fact, for marketing automation solutions, I recommend Pardot above HubSpot.

I am not a Pardot affiliate. I have never received, nor do I intend to receive, any payments from Pardot.
    Posted: Nov 16, 2012 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
  14. Amazin

Amazin UKBF Regular Free Member

I just want to say big thank you to all of you for the advice and help provided.

I always thought that you can sell product/services online or create contents that attract traffics so you can put ads on and make money from that?

I saw that and they are charging $10 to just sign up! I don't mind to be honest but I hope its worth it.
    Posted: Nov 18, 2012 By: Amazin Member since: Mar 24, 2009
  15. darren atkinson

darren atkinson UKBF Regular Free Member

I personally don't rate Warrior Forums too much, there are probably some good people on there but there also seems to be a lot of low quality stuff as well whenever I stop by.

My fear is that for someone starting out it may be difficult to know which advice is solid and which is just somebody trying to sell a low quality ebook or course...

That's just my opinion though, others may have a different experience of it.

Posted: Nov 19, 2012 By: darren atkinson Member since: Sep 21, 2005
  16. Andy777

Andy777 UKBF Contributor Free Member

Yes, you can def. do that! Create a blog/website - a VALUABLE resource about topic you're expert and traffic/money will come. You can monetize traffic with banner ads, Google Adsense, CPA, Affiliate programs etc.

All you need is traffic, that's the most difficult part.

No, Warrior Forum is free to use, you're mixing it up with paid sections of the forum probably.
    Posted: Nov 19, 2012 By: Andy777 Member since: Apr 12, 2011
  17. sarahjohs

sarahjohs UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hello there,

Google up webmaster forums. You will find a couple of forums like Warrior forums. Also you can consider looking at articles/videos/podcast and such that you will find on Social Media Examiner and HubSpot. Maybe even subscribe to their free newsletter. This is a start if not anything else. Good luck!
    Posted: Nov 19, 2012 By: sarahjohs Member since: Aug 2, 2012
  18. WeblinkPlus

WeblinkPlus UKBF Contributor Free Member

I'd second that...
    Posted: Nov 19, 2012 By: WeblinkPlus Member since: Sep 13, 2009
  19. wilson230

wilson230 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Forum posting, blog commenting and reading articles are the great way to learn internet marketing.
    Posted: Nov 19, 2012 By: wilson230 Member since: Jul 20, 2012
  20. lanyards

lanyards UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I recommend for you blog about making money in Internet - SmartPassiveIncome.com Very useful and free knowledge!
    Posted: Nov 20, 2012 By: lanyards Member since: Nov 19, 2012