What insurance do you need to run a childrens party business?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by jacquelineas, Jul 21, 2010.

1. jacquelineas

jacquelineas UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi

I've recently found quite a gap in the market for a certain type of childrens party while looking for characters for my daughters party in Scotland and I really think I could make a successful business out of my idea.

Does anyone know what type of insurance you need when working with the public? I know myself and any staff hired would need to be fully disclosured (which I would make sure we had either way anyway).

Also is there anywhere you can download a buisness plan layout?

Thanks

x

Posted: Jul 21, 2010 By: jacquelineas Member since: Jul 21, 2010
  2. gemd89

gemd89 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

What will you be doing at childrens parties?

What about a CRB check?

Gemma

Posted: Jul 21, 2010 By: gemd89 Member since: Oct 3, 2009
  3. matth

matth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Public Liability and employers liability would be definite, possibly professional indemnity (although not sure about that, to be honest)

Assuming your statement "fully disclosed" means CRB checked? It's only really required when you're left alone with children or vunerable adults, so may not technically apply, but it would be a good selling point too :)

Posted: Jul 21, 2010 By: matth Member since: Feb 4, 2010
  4. jacquelineas

jacquelineas UKBF Newcomer Free Member

In Scotland anyone working with Children etc have to have a document called a Disclosure Scotland, if I was hiring anyone for a children's party whether adults stayed with them or not would always make sure the people hired would have this document so I wouldn't offer a service to other parents unless I too had one.

I don't really want to say what the exact business plan in the of chance someone steals the idea :) but it involves characters. I've spoken to other Mums and they thought 1, It was a fantastic idea and they would definitely have the type of party and 2, Couldn't believe there wasn't a company already doing it in Scotland.

The companies I've found down South only travel within 30 miles so they are no use for parties in Scotland.

I thought it would be some sort of public liability insurance

Posted: Jul 21, 2010 By: jacquelineas Member since: Jul 21, 2010
  5. gemd89

gemd89 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

The do something in yorkshire with the iggle piggle and upsy daisy which looks fun!

My son would love a chuggington party, but cant even buy chuggington paper plates and banners so no chance getting characters

Gemma

Posted: Jul 21, 2010 By: gemd89 Member since: Oct 3, 2009
  6. Astaroth

Astaroth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

The only legally required insurance would be EPL (if you have employees) and Motor (if you have a car/ mini-bus).

That said you would be risking a hell of a lot if you didn't have public liability insurance. If a kid had an accident meaning they require assistance for the rest of their life you could have to pay for that for the next 70+ years (though its generally given as an up front lump sum which factors in inflation over that period) as well as their loss of earnings and everything else..... whilst compensation for death is much lower in children, long term injuries result in massive claims and so a high limit is sensible.

Best idea as always is to discuss your business with a broker and take their professional advice

Not sure what professional advice you would be giving to warrant needing the Proff Indem that the other poster suggested

Posted: Jul 21, 2010 By: Astaroth Member since: Aug 24, 2005