What costs are involved in setting up and maintaining a shop?

Discussion in 'E-Commerce Forum' started by coultog, Apr 19, 2007.

1. coultog

coultog UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi all,

I've been thinking about setting up a shop. I thought I'd try and list all the costs involved and so far I've come up with a pitiful - I know there must be more than:

• Rent / Lease
    • Council Business Tax (forgot the proper name for it!)
    • Telephone / Broadband
    • Salaries (the big one for me!)
    • Electricity & Gas
    That's all I've come up with so far.

For one off costs, I also have:

• Shop signage
    • Shop Fit Out
    I know there's more, perhaps I'm just tired. If anyone has a shop or had a shop and could share some wisdom, that'd be great!

Thanks
    Posted: Apr 19, 2007 By: coultog Member since: Aug 5, 2006
  2. sharon25

sharon25 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

WHat kind of a shop are you talking abt..? an online shop or an offline shop..?

and if its an online shop you can save most of the costs that you have to pay for an offline shop
    Posted: Apr 19, 2007 By: sharon25 Member since: Apr 12, 2007
  3. coultog

I'm looking for the costs or a Bricks and Mortar shop - one you can walk into from any high street in the land.

I have a number of online shops - i'm just looking to understand how much it would be for a B&M store for a new business venture.
  4. coultog

I wonder why or how I managed to put this in the e-commerce forum. I'll post this i nthe right forum LOL
  5. ianz1

ianz1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

hey, i would like to set up a shop aswell, im new to this thing the cost's i can deal with, the bit that i dont have a full understanding off where to get the products in bulk to sell in the shop things like that, any advice would be helpful :D thanks.
    Posted: Mar 18, 2009 By: ianz1 Member since: Mar 18, 2009
  6. barginboyrob

barginboyrob UKBF Newcomer Free Member

surely you need that first lol?
    Posted: Mar 18, 2009 By: barginboyrob Member since: Jul 17, 2007
  7. Bri

Bri UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Security(Alarm, CCTV)
    Insurance (contents, employers liability, personal sickness & accident) £600+ per annum depending
    Till(either PC based with back office inventory and accounting)
    Tax requirements(VAT)
    Merchant Banking( to take card payments, hardly anyone uses cash except me when I've got it).
    Forget salary for a while, take a wage by all means, 1st rule of business, no good doing it if you cant pay yourself. Dont be greedy, only take what the shop can withstand. Retail is not big buck transactions anymore unless your M&S, John Lewis etc.
    Fixtures and fittings(unless you plan to sell everything from off the floor)
    Merchandising, Advertising. Promotion.

Anybody feel free to add, it cost us near on £20,000 to open our shop four years ago.Bear in mind it was high value specilaist kit too.
    Posted: Mar 18, 2009 By: Bri Member since: Oct 9, 2008
  8. KidsBeeHappy

KidsBeeHappy UKBF Newcomer Full Member

Water rates, these are always a lot higher than you think reasonable. And infact proabably the sole reason we shut one of our shops.

Parking costs, permits etc.

Waste disposal costs, these are not free for businesses. And if you're likely to have anything more than a standard wheelie bin a week, definitely check these out with your local council.

Lighting - whatever is there already will probably be unsuitable.

If you are employing, then would highly recommend some kind of employment protection insurance, or FSB. Shops = stock = employee theft. Not always true but you need to be prepared for it, partic if employees will be unsupervised at times (even shop managers).

Electrical testing, PAT testing, etc.

Fire extinguishers, annual servicing, and a fire safety policy.

Buildings Insurance and Property Service fees, probably ontop of the rent. Shops are rarely standalone buildings. Flats ontop of shops = flooded out shops & lost stock when the washing machine leaks. Plus you'll probably be expected to contribute towards building maintenence costs etc (a share of the roof expenses etc.)

Your legal fees.

Normally, the landlords legal fees, partic if the lease is being transferred.

If the lease is with the council, then anticipate it taking at least 2 months longer than it should, because the person dealing with it will be job sharing part timer, off on sick leave.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
    Posted: Mar 18, 2009 By: KidsBeeHappy Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  9. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

I can add:

Landlord's cyclical external redecorations including erection of scaffolding
    Sign writing
    Security tagging devices
    Blocked drains and drain repairs (plaguing the shop next door to us constantly, only we have to pay 90% of the cost based on floor space!)
    Window cleaning
    General cleaning
    Donating freebies to all those people that walk in asking for them on a daily basis
    Landlord's rent deposit
    Company incorporation fees
    Accountant's fees

When we opened our first small shop - rent £5K pa - we thought we could do it with £15K. We ended up lending the company £35K.
    Posted: Mar 18, 2009 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  10. ginantonic

ginantonic UKBF Newcomer Free Member

All I can say is "DON'T!" It was getting ridiculous, and we gave up when we were working far too many hours simply to keep the shop open, but weren't able to pay ourselves anything!
    Posted: Mar 18, 2009 By: ginantonic Member since: May 23, 2008
  11. Mattonella Tile Studio

Mattonella Tile Studio UKBF Newcomer Free Member

PRS licence
    PPL licence
    Posted: Mar 18, 2009 By: Mattonella Tile Studio Member since: Jun 10, 2008
  12. michaelsmith

michaelsmith UKBF Newcomer Free Member

don't forget fitting out the shop itself with shop shelving, racking etc.

you can pick some up for free on gumtree sometimes but if you have specific requirements you'll have to try a proper retailer
    Posted: Oct 6, 2011 By: michaelsmith Member since: May 31, 2011