1. Welcome to UKBF! Check out our FAQ guide.

upgrading from private to business seller on eBay

Discussion in 'E-Commerce Forum' started by nig68, Jul 14, 2009.

1. nig68

nig68 UKBF Regular Free Member

I am thinking of upgrading from private to business seller on eBay, can anyone please tell me the negatives, I.E will i have to register as a business with the inland revenue? will i have to register for a VAT number etc. thanks in advance. (P.S i have posted on ebay forums twice and have been reported twice for alleged breaches of policy from other officious sellers, which resulted in warnings from eBay, which were eventually overturned, not without a great effort,).
  2. James.Dunford

James.Dunford UKBF Contributor Free Member

If you are running a busines then you should be registered anyway.... And it doesnt make a lot of differnece on ebay itself, you dont need a VAT number either.
  3. los_design

los_design UKBF Contributor Free Member

Your listing fees go bump and chew into your margins is one that stands out for me.

But, as stated, if you are selling as a business you should be registered anyway.

Regards
    Daren
  4. KING Professional Photography

KING Professional Photography UKBF Contributor Free Member

Why not just have your own online store?
  5. ginantonic

ginantonic UKBF Regular Free Member

I was selling happily on eBay as a private seller for 6 years, then changed to being a business seller, as I began selling catering packaging. That lasted about 6 months, then I realised it just wasn't worth it for the small profit I was making. When I contacted eBay about reverting back to being a private seller, they said no, I had to open another account! It has taken 7 years hard work to get, and keep my 2,000+100% feedback, and they wanted me to close that and start again!
    So, I would think seriously about having a separate eBay account just for business. And no, you don't have to inform the Inland Robbing-You, or register for VAT, unless, of course, your profits rocket over the next 12 months and then you HAVE to!
  6. ginantonic

ginantonic UKBF Regular Free Member

Running eBay alongside an online store is the best idea - eBay has such a huge marketplace it cannot be ignored, or ruled out in favour of an online shop. :)
  7. James.Dunford

James.Dunford UKBF Contributor Free Member

:| You have to register within 3 months of starting no matter what profit you make....!
  8. nig68

nig68 UKBF Regular Free Member

This is the road i want to go down, i have registered a domain name already but have done a little research and have found it to be quite difficult and expensive. I want to open an online store and link it to my ebay has anyone got any ideas. Thanks in advance.
  9. los_design

los_design UKBF Contributor Free Member

Why would you want to link it to your eBay account?

The idea is to drive traffic FROM ebay TO your webstore not vice versa.

;)
  10. KING Professional Photography

KING Professional Photography UKBF Contributor Free Member

Whats your budget?