Employment & HR Brought to you by Milkround
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Unable to find good employees. Anyone else have this problem?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Ali-print, May 30, 2013.

1. Ali-print

Ali-print UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I have been running our business for many years. Over the years I have had to make employees redundant and rejuvenate the business. As the business has grown I have had major problems in recruiting the right people. I have been through 8/9 accounts people. 4/5 office customer service staff. 4/5 warehouse staff.

We are constantly hearing about large unemployment and yet I find it so hard to find good workers???

I have always been the type of person that if I'm employed by someone I will do my best to help the company. The people I employ don't seem to care about my business or the work they are doing.

One of my major problems is knowing how much to pay a person. I s business of course so I have to make sure I am getting value for my money.

My business competition are beating me because they are building strong businesses. Good design departments, good technology (websites), good marketing and good customer service dept's.
    I feel for me to compete I need to be doing the same.

I am not a fan of recruitment firms. They charge a lot and you really never guaranteed a good employee. You end up paying there fees and then having to let the employee go after 3 months.

I am also not a fan of the apprenticeship schemes. The people coming through are so bad and that is if they turn up. Also the training firms offering these apprentices don't seem to be teaching them properly. It's all just about ticking boxes and getting paid by government.

I have also tried graduate schemes but the quality of graduates is so poor. I haven't had the training they have had and I end up showing them how to use program's.

Posted: May 30, 2013 By: Ali-print Member since: May 30, 2013
  2. Steve Sellers

Steve Sellers UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

Have you ever considered using psychometric tests? All the rage in HR at the moment! (not plugging it as I dont do it) I have heard many say that they are very accurate.

Posted: Jun 2, 2013 By: Steve Sellers Member since: Aug 7, 2011
  3. Wavecrest Ltd

Wavecrest Ltd UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

I'm currently recruiting to replace someone who is retiring.

I've advertised on social media sites Twitter and Linkedin and also on my company blog. I've used tow local internet based sites.

No shortage on volume of applicants. However, it would appear that a lot of people are incapable of reading! My ads clearly state that we require someone with shipping office experience. What do we get ? Letters from people who have never worked in any type of office let alone a shipping office.

It's a waste of my time and there's. I have a feeling a lot of these applications are at the behest of the Job Seekers Allowance system. The unemployed are told to apply for a certain number of jobs a week to continue to receive their JSA. As a result letters are sent off for completely unsuitable jobs just to hit the target.

I have also found people who seem to just be going through the motions. One chap had written to me four times over the last year (including only a few or so ago) asking if we had any suitable vacancies. His CV looked promising so I tried to call him. First time no answer. OK waited another couple of days and tried again. Still no answer so I sent a text asking him to contact me to arrange an interview. No reply...

I will not use recruitment agencies as their fees are exorbitant especially in our industry.

I have to partially disagree with the OP regarding apprenticeships (from our experience at least). We have employed a young lad in ourwarehouse who came through the apprenticeship scheme. He has been an asset to the business. Very willing attitude and keen to learn. Maybe he's the exception to the rule? Hopefully not for the sake of the country!

Where I do agree with the OP is the training company did seem keener on box ticking and form filling than the welfare of the apprentice.

Glen

Posted: Jun 2, 2013 By: Wavecrest Ltd Member since: Oct 31, 2007
  4. ludachris

ludachris UKBF Newcomer Free Member

How bad does your staff retention rate have to be before you stop blaming the employees and start blaming yourself?

Trying to get value for money for your employees implies you pay them next to nothing and expect them to do a stellar job. Perhaps take a look at the way you treat your staff. Look after your employees and your employees will look after you.

Chances are your warehouse and customer service staff are on minimum wage, or close to it, so why not find other ways to motivated them?

Obviously this is guesswork going on the tone of your original post and you may have just been unlucky with staff, If that's the case i suggest you at least try a recruitment agency for the higher caliber of CVs you'll get in.

Posted: Jun 3, 2013 By: ludachris Member since: Sep 14, 2010
  5. danielrobert48

danielrobert48 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I agree with you that recruitment companies do not provide good employees.
    They are usually concern with the commission they'll get so they usually don't pay that much attention which your business need so you should recruit the employees on your own.

For that, you should learn to judge people first then go for hiring them as most of the times the person apparently seems very beneficial for the organization but when you have interaction with them in terms of your business they return in less effective for the business.

At the same time you should have a continuous interaction with your hired employees so that you know what they are doing in their lives. This can help you in learning if the person will remain with you or will leave you.

It totally depends upon you how you make them stay with you.

Good Luck !

Posted: Jun 3, 2013 By: danielrobert48 Member since: Apr 12, 2013
  6. Vectis

Vectis UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

I think I'd probably agree, it is difficult to find decent workers.

We closed our offices a few years ago and now only use freelancers who get paid a set sum, agreed in advance, for the work they do. That way, if they don't work they don't get paid and we don't use them again.

One of the most difficult parts of running a business is finding good staff. Even at interview stage so many of them just weren't bothered. None of us in the office dressed particularly smartly i.e. we would only wear suits if we were going out meeting clients, not every day to work, but some of the interviewees took dressing 'casual' to a new extreme! Then there were the ones who made no effort to speak at the interview - it was as if they had just turned up expecting to be offered the job. We had to drag answers out of them!

Then there were the best of the bunch who we actually employed. Unfortunately we had to let about 90% of them go within the first 6 months as they clearly weren't ready or willing to do a day's work. These were all, by and large, youngsters with University Degrees. I've since lost all my faith in University education. Many of them were very adept though at keeping their social network sites up to date, in work time of course!

We're a small business, at best we employ 12-14 people and talking to other small business owners, many of them too have the same problems with staff. So, no, you are not alone!

Posted: Jun 3, 2013 By: Vectis Member since: Jun 10, 2012
  7. Richie N

Richie N UKBF Big Shot Free Member

If you are having to let the employees go after 3 months then this may be due to your recruitment strategy and hiring, can't see how you can blame an agency for this.
    They introduce candidates but you employ them!!

Posted: Jun 3, 2013 By: Richie N Member since: Nov 1, 2006
  8. stefanss

stefanss UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Every boss or CEO expect 100% from an employee. I saw huge number of bosses who will expect from employee to work Saturdays just for a company good. But when you ask that employee if he is satisfied he will say NO. Because of that he will never give you 100%. Whenever you say "do it for company good", that means "not good for an employee". Also, an employee will never think about company the way owner will.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013
    Posted: Jun 3, 2013 By: stefanss Member since: Apr 29, 2013
  9. thelegalstop

thelegalstop UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

Finding, building and managing a good team is crucial for each business.I will tell you my experience - when I was young and had no experience, no body wanted to to work for them, however there was a manager, who simply believed in me and appreciated exactly the fact that I have no experience - he helped me learn and get more experienced and I will be always grateful for this.Basically, if you have the chance to hire a motivated, intelligent person, who does not have much experience - do not hesitate to do it - it will pay off!

Posted: Jun 4, 2013 By: thelegalstop Member since: Mar 31, 2012
  10. LuisaML

LuisaML UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Why don't you hire a HR to deal with the recruitment and staffing, it may be more economical on the long run.

Posted: Jun 4, 2013 By: LuisaML Member since: Jan 19, 2013
  11. CBJROMS

CBJROMS UKBF Regular Free Member

Agree entirely with OP but I dont think that it is a money issue.

One of the issues, I believe, is that it is more comfortable and easier to hide in a big organisation. In a small company it is very obvious when someone is not giving 100%.

I have employed a number of people with very impressive track-records on high salaries who, frankly, have not had a clue about delivering 100%.

The other factor is that sensible employers will pay well to keep good people becuase of the full cost (and implications) of trying to find decent replacements. So the good people are not searching for jobs so where do you find them?

The recruitment agents with whom I have worked also complain about the lack of good people. Of course they put forward anyone who they can find in the hope that a candidate will stick and they will get their commission.

Chris

Posted: Jun 5, 2013 By: CBJROMS Member since: May 31, 2008
  12. Kevincloud

Kevincloud UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I had been in employment since the age of 17 (cancer at 30, no one would hire me after, so i am now my own boss) I always gave my all, a certain employer knew i would get the job done and assumed it would be ok to treat me less favourably than other new staff, heavier work loads and excessive overtime>> "He put`s his head down and gets on with it" <<
    your staff are just as important as your customer base....most think its just a case of show the carrot on the stick and they will do it, but remember to give the odd cube of sugar and you get better results all round.

Posted: Jun 6, 2013 By: Kevincloud Member since: May 20, 2013
  13. dunerider

dunerider UKBF Newcomer Free Member

So true! When I was an employee if it was asked to do something for the benefit of the company i always translated this as " please do this for free and dont expect a financial reward, but rest assured your contribution has just lined your bosses pocket"

Little wonder i went self employed!

Posted: Jun 6, 2013 By: dunerider Member since: Nov 14, 2009
  14. Phishfood

Phishfood UKBF Newcomer Free Member

So if you needed someone do a little something extra regardless of how trivial or big, what would you say?

I only ask because I've been thinking the same thing.

Posted: Jun 7, 2013 By: Phishfood Member since: Jan 22, 2013
  15. Podge

Podge UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Provided the employer is as accommodating as the employee they should have no trouble getting the "extra's" done. Nobody want's to be taken advantage of.

Posted: Jun 7, 2013 By: Podge Member since: Jan 13, 2011
  16. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

Your not a fan of graduates, people on training schemes or people from recruitment agencies....

Have you tried looking at this from the perspective of the employee? Maybe once you have sacked them (not straight away), asking them if there is any reason why they were not performing (Training, happiness etc). Or you could possibly put a box out for the staff to leave feedback, have it so its confidential and it may actually help your business improve.

Its not quite the same, but when we had a pub we welcomed ideas from the staff. I dont know but im guessing it helped them feel like they were part of the business helped them get excited about something within work.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
    Posted: Jun 7, 2013 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  17. tompeters

tompeters UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Do you know the reason why past employees have left the company? Is there any common reason? Looking into this may help you identify any possible issues.

Posted: Jun 10, 2013 By: tompeters Member since: Jul 8, 2012
  18. CeliaNorway

CeliaNorway UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi there!
    I'm sure you have resolved your issues by now,but if you haven't I MIGHT be able to be of assistance:)
    I have been researching in the apprentice /CEO relationships and find that most of the apprentices apply so they can finish their apprentice ship program.
    The ceo's employ because they (most of the time) want to mould the to be "extraordinary" from a young age.surely that would be ideal,right?
    What the "yougen's" don't realise (because of limited believes ) is that the initiative,commitment and passion that they would gain a senior full time secure job!

Posted: Jan 3, 2014 By: CeliaNorway Member since: Jan 3, 2014
  19. CeliaNorway

CeliaNorway UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Sure you can!
    But, what "most" people forget is that the HR needs to know what you're really after,REALLY after.....and if the founder/manager,CEO etc haven't got a Clear route to communicate out to the public what kind of personalities,what kind of values they need/ the HR would be just as clueless......I have made the same mistakes until I realised,"I need to find the person that is right for us and the person finds the company right for them! So if you feel you keep getting the same results with the apprentices ,try a new approach,otherwise things won't change
    "If you aim at nothing,you will hit it everytime"

Posted: Jan 3, 2014 By: CeliaNorway Member since: Jan 3, 2014
  20. MBE1

MBE1 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

Afraid the OP needs to look at himself, his recruitment selection process, and also ask a simple question.

When necessary he made workers redundant, why the suprise that workers like himself look after number 1? I'm sure at the time he felt it necessary to let people go, but workers think along the same lines as well.

It is always hard to pin down what makes an inspirational leader, why certain people follow and accept their vision, few have the ability to carry the workers with them.

Posted: Jan 3, 2014 By: MBE1 Member since: Jun 1, 2012