Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

UKBF being attacked with negative SEO

Discussion in 'Feedback & Help' started by WebDesires, Nov 12, 2016.

1. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Ace Full Member

That's a lot of backpeddling from "NEVER" (your caps, not mine).

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  2. WebDesires

WebDesires UKBF Regular Full Member

Disavow happens when google decides it to happen, it could be 24 hours, it could be 1 year - again speculation isnt acceptable and people here keep doing it over and over again! Always prepare for the worst possible outcome and do the recommended actions, ie. spammy links disavow them!! Please read googles article. https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/2648487?hl=en

personally I dont care about rankings... we have enough business and enough clients (who also recommend us to others etc) to earn far more than we need to for the time being... so getting new business from search is just a side bonus... Keeping the rankings good is just what I do when I'm bored, I like our blog articles to rank well to help people and also have one important page which will always rank well and brings us some big projects.

But this was never about me, and its not about you!! The whole point of me starting the thread was to alert people who have seen a drop in their rankings who are part of UKBF so they can implement any fix they need to.

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 By: WebDesires Member since: Feb 23, 2016
  3. WebDesires

WebDesires UKBF Regular Full Member

Note: caps "never" and "yet", important.

I'm just saying what you should have said, not me, personally I would NEVER leave an issue just because it isnt affecting me YET... Google are doing many huge updates to their algo very often recently, and it is unacceptable to have a policy of "not causing an issue, so leave the issue".

You may not ever regret it, you may severely regret it, who knows, but why leave the uncertainty there.

I'm done with this thread, everyone do as you wish, but to those who are willing to listen, make sure you alert your SEO advisor of UKBF and spammy links and let them take the best action, to those without an SEO advisor please just DISAVOW any spammy domains, don't leave it to chance.

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 By: WebDesires Member since: Feb 23, 2016
  4. JamesMason67

JamesMason67 UKBF Regular Full Member

Interesting discussion

Clinton, could you possibly tell me what would be a more up to date way of dealing with this kind of spam attack outwith disavow if this is outdated?

I too have a very small link profile and hundreds of these dodgy Forex etc links coming from this site I believe. I was only very recently made aware of these, and my rankings have been wobbly and are definitely down of late when they have been pretty consistent for years.

Willing to accept there may be factors at play other than the spam, but it does concern me. Could you advise me what other options (other than doing nothing) might be open to me?

I would appreciate your opinion/s.
    Cheers
    James

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 By: JamesMason67 Member since: Feb 21, 2013
  5. Clinton

James, there's no harm in doing the disavow so, though I don't believe it will fix anything,you could go ahead and do that. Please also see my posts here.

If rankings are falling then I suggest finding the reason/s... and fixing that. It could be the quality of your existing backlinks, it could be your own reputation (history of being involved in link schemes etc), it could be any number of things.

I can't advise you on what needs fixing in your particular case, but it never hurts to go get a few high quality, dofollow, contextual links with the right anchors.

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  6. Clinton

I'd like to return to something ...

Then you're missing out on something good here.

There's a way to get a unique advantage from this scraping issue but as you're so sure it's NEVER going to be a good thing to have these spam links, I won't bother explaining how you can use it to some fantastic SEO advantage! ;)

Clue: Sometimes some of the oldest tricks in the book are the best ones. :)

Posted: Feb 10, 2017 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  7. JamesMason67

JamesMason67 UKBF Regular Full Member

Thanks very much Clinton.

Posted: Feb 15, 2017 By: JamesMason67 Member since: Feb 21, 2013