Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

UKBF being attacked with negative SEO

Discussion in 'Feedback & Help' started by WebDesires, Nov 12, 2016.

1. WebDesires

WebDesires UKBF Regular Full Member

I have been having issues for weeks where someone is hacking websites and duplicating all the content of UKBF onto the hacked websites. The result of this is basically my SEO is being attacked too because I'm on the directory in UKBF.

Here is one example from google today, visit pages with javascript turned OFF!!

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=site:http://southcheshiremc.co.uk/ webdesires

Is anyone else suffering because of this, well most of you probably haven't even noticed! Is someone on the UKBF developer list going to try stop these bots scraping UKBF and creating negative SEO duplicates all over the place?

And finally what has UKBF done to annoy someone so much to do this :D

Posted: Nov 12, 2016 By: WebDesires Member since: Feb 23, 2016
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

There are multiple threads about this on UKBF. The links are being ignored by the search engines (as ranking signals) there is nothing to worry about.

If your ranking has dropped its not because of the cloned/scraped sites.

Posted: Nov 12, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. WebDesires

actually it was, when I first discovered this a month ago I disavowed all the domains that were all duplicate UKBF sites, and my rankings returned slowly to normal, so you are wrong.

And since then I have been keeping on top of it and the rankings stayed.

The problem is allot of them are existing legitimate sites, so google is taking it serious enough to penalize rankings

Posted: Nov 12, 2016 By: WebDesires Member since: Feb 23, 2016
  4. Tin

Tin UKBF Legend Staff Member

Google just isn't quick enough or diligent enough to deal with this sort of situation effectively, this isn't the only area where Google is weak but it really should get more of a grip on things like this.

Posted: Nov 12, 2016 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  5. fisicx

However, my ranking hasn't been affected. So this scraping/cloning isn't affecting everyone the same way.

Posted: Nov 12, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. Don Smith

Don Smith UKBF Regular Free Member

So it is having a effect on rankings?

Guess the answer is to cancel full membership to this forum and your links.

Posted: Nov 12, 2016 By: Don Smith Member since: Oct 2, 2016
  7. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Ace Full Member

Don, while I have great respect for Tin, and he has a well deserved reputation on these boards, don't jump into any hasty actions as a result of his last post.

I'm going to disagree. I'm not a Google fanboy, far from it, but ...

Over the years I've often felt frustrated at the timelag in Google resolving known problems, delays that were caused by their preference for finding algorithmic solutions rather than just taking the manual action necessary to remove site/s and/or fix problems. When people were exploiting PR using 301s / 302s on drop catches, Google dragged their heels. When people were .... I could give you a long list.

But this isn't one of those cases. The DNA / footprint of these copycats pages is easy to detect and Google seems to be detecting them just fine. I've been affected by this in that there are now tens of thousands of pages on these compromised URLs which have links to my site. But my site is doing fine in the SERPs... more than fine, in fact.

Posted: Nov 12, 2016 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  8. fisicx

But that will only drop the links on UKBF. It won't remove all the links on those cloned sites. So you will be no better off than you were before you cancelled you membership.

Posted: Nov 13, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. Don Smith

No sh!t :D

But it will prevent them being on newly cloned sites, unless they are cloning clones. Damage limitation and all that.

Posted: Nov 13, 2016 By: Don Smith Member since: Oct 2, 2016
  10. fisicx

What damage?

If these links are affecting your ranking then there is a bigger problem with your SEO. It means there is something you are doing to which these new links now raise a warning flag. If everything else was good then these dodgy links wouldn't affect ranking.

Posted: Nov 13, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  11. Don Smith

It's obviously doesn't effect me personally, but there does seem to be a difference of opinion. I would be removing the links from this forum as better safe than sorry. I don't know who is right or wrong here, but from a layman's perspective I can't see a positive to these cloned sites and multiple dodgy links.

Anyone know why sites are cloned? What do they get out of it?

Posted: Nov 13, 2016 By: Don Smith Member since: Oct 2, 2016
  12. Tin

Tin UKBF Legend Staff Member

Wikipedia has had its fair share of cloning problems over the last 10 years and here's a decent read on it.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Send_in_the_clones#Google_will_be_forced_to_fix_this_eventually

@Clinton I wasn't suggesting Don or anyone else does anything drastic in my comment earlier, I was simply making the point that Google aren't as reliable as they could be over issues like this :) but I agree with what you said, there's no point reacting to this problem by removing membership and links, it's not a solution.

Posted: Nov 13, 2016 By: Tin Member since: Nov 14, 2005
  13. Clinton

@WebDesires - BTW, it's not "negative SEO". There's a lot of wrong terminology being thrown about by all and sundry. Chris Goodfellow posted an article here about what UKBF is doing about this "problem" and he refers to these people as spammers. They aren't spammers, they're scrapers, as I explained in my detailed reply in that thread (which may be worth reading for any of you worried about this scraping).

I don't want to go all techie on people, but if everybody jumps on this wrong terminology, and perpetuates it, we'll have mass hysteria and unnecessary stress.

Posted: Nov 13, 2016 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  14. commercial-mortgage-link

commercial-mortgage-link UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I can confirm this has 100% affected my rankings and as a result my homepage has gone from the first 3 pages of google (was page 1 before)

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 By: commercial-mortgage-link Member since: Jan 18, 2015
  15. WebDesires

To be honest, I dont care what the reasons or methods are, to my site it is negative SEO, it was affecting my rankings dramatically, causing many spam links to my site so in my regards this is a negative SEO attack not only on me but on everyone else using UKBF and indeed most importantly to UKBF itself - whether this was the intention or not, it is what it is.

And to inform people not to worry and make a false assumption it is not affecting anyone is terrible, it's a good job I have a mean grasp on our SEO else I would be succered like everyone else thinking this will be fine.

Anyone who wants to know, you need to DISAVOW the spam domains that are linking to your site, try to be careful not to disavow anything legitimate and only disavow as needed.

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 By: WebDesires Member since: Feb 23, 2016
  16. Clinton

You've probably seen the new thread on this ... but I'm always amazed when people can so confidently point to one factor as causing a jump or drop in rankings. Amazing. How did you exclude the hundreds of other factors that contribute to ranking including Google's own tweaks to the algo, the drop (or rise) in the link juice your existing back links are providing, your competitors improving their own SEO etc etc?

If you had a mean grasp on SEO a) these links wouldn't be "dramatically" affecting your rankings and b) you wouldn't been advising people to disavow as disavow is now old hat. There have been various good blog posts about this at the top SEO blogs. It is highly likely that disavow is doing nothing nowadays and, in fact, from what I'm hearing, Google hasn't acted on disavow files submitted as long ago as October last year - domains submitted in disavow files in October are still showing up in Search Console's "latest links" CSV. Google seems to have given up on disavow.

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  17. WebDesires

I'm confident because I saw the dates these spam links were created, could see the SEO dropping from the start of that date, after DISAVOWING those domains my rankings shot back to normal within 3 days and have stuck since at the same positions they have always been for over a year.

Luckily we have nothing complicated or any complicated campaigns, just a simple small web development site that hasn't changed much in a year, so this is why it was easy to identify, easy to see the damage and easy to see the improvement after action was taken.

It amazes me how people can still argue that something isn't bad for them (are you a smoker?) when all logic points to bad news, in any regard having spam links pointing to your site is never going to be a good thing. NEVER.

P.S. you are wrong about DISAVOW, it is a very important tool, is still available in webmaster tools and does indeed still function, regardless of what your kiddy SEO blogs say.

18. Clinton

OK, I'll have to dismiss all my top rankings for highly competitive terms as ... simply a mirage.

Thanks for your input.

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  19. WebDesires

no need to be hostile, put simply because you appear to be oblivious, it probably heavily relies on how big your site is, how popular it is and your current link profile... If you have a large amount of trusted backlinks then bad backlinks will make little to no difference. But if you have a slim profile like we do then it is going to make a huge difference. And the benefit of a small profile is that I can confirm DISAVOW has a huge effect and so does spammy backlinks.

So quite simply, if its not affecting you doesnt mean it isnt affecting others. This brings me back to bad advice based on your own findings, if you dont know and haven't done the research dont say something that isnt true - if someone confirms something and is confident in what they have said, dont tell them it isnt true just because you dont have the same problem.

20. fisicx

Disavowing doesn't happen in a few days. It's taking months to do the investigation. What probably happened is Google's algo caught up and just removed the links form the index.

I've got a tiny link profile and may ranking didn't budge. So it's indicative of something awry with your SEO that got flagged when all the spam links arrived.

As an aside, what is you fall back marketing plan if your ranking had tanked for the long term? Relying on ranking for business isn't the best policy. Please excuse the question if you already have multiple channels

Posted: Jan 11, 2017 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006