Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Tracking barcode

Discussion in 'E-Commerce Forum' started by perpixon, Oct 28, 2014.

1. perpixon

perpixon UKBF Regular Free Member

Hi,
    I bought an item off ebay a couple of days ago and it arrived no problems at all. Looking at the postage they sent it on a standard Royal Mail 48 service using their PPI. All fine but also on the box was a small barcode label titled Tracking Identification along with a barcode number that didn't match my order number. I think they have just stuck this on the box to stop people from saying the parcel hasn't turned up. Do you think this would be effective in stopping the temptation to make a false claim. Or has Royal Mail introduced some other tracking system. The value of the order was only a couple of pounds so it wouldn't be worth paying for any tracking. Just wondering if anyone has tried to make the customer think the parcel may be tracked and do you think it will work?

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 By: perpixon Member since: Jun 26, 2012
  2. SamStones

SamStones UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

I've received items like this before with a fake tracking number and even a fake tracking website on the label.

Not sure on the effect it would have on people. They may take it that as its tracked the merchant should be able to provide a signature or some other proof with the tracking? Ie it might make the situation worse!

Posted: Oct 28, 2014 By: SamStones Member since: Mar 1, 2010
  3. SabriM

SabriM UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Absolutely pointless using fake tracking numbers in the hope of "duping" customers. I have seen internet companies get caught out using this as a method. 99% of the population are honest shoppers and as such just select an acceptable barrier, i.e. £30 per parcel and only track items above that amount otherwise, as you said in your post, it will not be a cost effective shipping method.

Posted: Nov 2, 2014 By: SabriM Member since: Oct 15, 2014
  4. Jeff FV

Jeff FV UKBF Big Shot Staff Member

PPI Labels - who I use to print my PPI labels - sell these for £7.95 for 1000.

Their purpose is prevent would be scammers from saying their item never arrived. I don't think that they would fool many, but they might put-off the odd chancer. If it stops one in a thousand items going "missing" then they've paid for themselves. However, there is no real way of measuring their success or otherwise.

Personally I think they are not a bad idea - although we don't use them. Most of our post makes it through to its intended recipient; however, I don't think our products/customers fall into the typical scammer profile.

J

Posted: Nov 2, 2014 By: Jeff FV Member since: Jan 10, 2009
  5. SamStones

SamStones UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

Please could you explain what you mean by them getting caught out?

99% of shoppers are honest but that means 1 in 100 take us for a ride. That's a lot of conmen for us to deal with!

Posted: Nov 2, 2014 By: SamStones Member since: Mar 1, 2010
  6. ecoleman

ecoleman UKBF Regular Free Member

Had to laugh at this quote on their website.

FRAUDSTERS: DO NOT COPY or IMITATE Our Name
    DO NOT COPY Any Part Of Our Website
    IT IS A CRIMINAL OFFENCE AND LEGAL ACTION WILL BE TAKEN

As if anybody would want to copy any part of their site :eek:

Posted: Nov 13, 2014 By: ecoleman Member since: Feb 12, 2010
  7. perpixon

perpixon UKBF Regular Free Member

Great website........ The labels are just like the ones they sell apart from the text on them.
    luckily we hardly get anyone claiming for a lost parcel.

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 By: perpixon Member since: Jun 26, 2012
  8. Pish_Pash

Pish_Pash UKBF Ace Free Member

I put a small 3-of-9 font barcode of my internal order ID on all my shipping labels, it serves two purposes....

1. when the package physically goes to the Post office, I scan the barcode on the shipping label ...this updates my order database as 'left my premises' (& dates it in my database)... & scanning the barcode on the shipping label then goes towards automatically producing a 'filled in' Post Office 'bulk certificate of posting'.

and....

2. We hope it puts chancers off!

Posted: Nov 14, 2014 By: Pish_Pash Member since: Feb 1, 2013
  9. veeqo

veeqo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Next year it looks like Royal Mail will introduce a 2D barcode for non tracked mail as well, we do not know the exact purpose of this yet, but suspect it will be for their internal tracking rather than public tracking.

Posted: Nov 19, 2014 By: veeqo Member since: Nov 28, 2012
  10. Page

Page UKBF Big Shot Free Member

We tried doing it and now use it

There is your answer

Posted: Nov 23, 2014 By: Page Member since: Jul 28, 2007