Thirteen year old, doing a paper round???

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by estwig, Jun 23, 2009.

1. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

No1 daughter wants a paper round.

Admirable me thinks, but she is probably motivated, like the rest of us, by the allure of hard cash and there's nothing wrong with that.

She is 13 years old and I know the fella who owns the local paper shop, been going in there for years, to buy fags and the local rag.

Does anyone know the legalities of this???

Thanks.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  2. avantime

avantime UKBF Regular Free Member

At your age it IS legal to buy fags!!

As for your daughter and a paper round I think it's OK at 13.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 By: avantime Member since: Mar 22, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. KidsBeeHappy

KidsBeeHappy UKBF Newcomer Full Member

There are limits on the number of hours, and breaks, can't remember what, but nothing that a paper round is likely to exceed.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 By: KidsBeeHappy Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  4. Gillie

Gillie UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

As far as I am aware, and all three of mine have done it, its 13 when you can do papers! Or at least that was the age the newsagent said they had to be!

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 By: Gillie Member since: Apr 12, 2006
  5. Blush

Blush UKBF Newcomer Full Member

13 is the youngest, I know the kids round here only either do early mornings or teatime and the parents are usualyy driving them round on the sunday as the bags are too heavy

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 By: Blush Member since: Mar 22, 2007
  6. Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I had a paper round at the age of 13. The owner said he wouldn't take anyone younger and it also depended on the size of the child, to make sure they could actually carry the bag!

I used to do every morning of the week, 6.30am on the weekdays, 8.30am on Saturday and 7.30am on a Sunday.

I had to get a work permit from the council which was done through my school.

My #1 tip: At Xmas time give every house an Xmas card as you get LOADS of tips, some houses even used to give me £10 which was a lot of money at 13!

Ed O'Brien

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 By: Ed O'Brien Member since: Jun 10, 2009
  7. estwig

:eek:S*d that for a game of soldiers, you did say Sunday morning??

We have a wheelbarrow, No1 daughter will have to use that!!!!

;)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien UKBF Newcomer Free Member

The problem with Sundays are that the papers are twice the size due to all the magazines etc. that come with them.

I found it heavy and hard work to begin with and had to make two trips to begin with but I soon grew stronger and managed it in one.

It was a great way to start earning money and it enabled to start my own business just a few months later.

Ed

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 By: Ed O'Brien Member since: Jun 10, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. TotallySport

TotallySport UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

Doesn't the working time directive apply to 13 year olds? i thought it was illegal to work 7 days a week.

But I could be wrong, but good luck to your daughter, the pay sounds rubbish for the work they do.

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 By: TotallySport Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  10. Comspec

Comspec UKBF Newcomer Full Member - Verified Business

I'm not totally sure on the legalities on the mainland tbh, but my concern would be for her general safety. Is she going outside her normal 'comfort zone' or venturing too far away from home?

If so, then dump the idea mate, for your own peace of mind.

If its purely local, and you are comfortable with the area, then no problem, as long as it does not interfere with either her sleep or schooling.

Jeez I am turning into an oldie ;)

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 By: Comspec Member since: May 8, 2006
  11. R.C.K COURIERS

R.C.K COURIERS UKBF Newcomer Free Member

When i was at primary school(many years ago) i got a job collecting the milk money with of course the milk man

I used to do 5pm untill 8.30 on a thurs night,then 5 pm untill 9pm on a friday night and used to pay 8.00 pounds per week

I then left at 15 years of age and got a job as a cleaner 6 nights a week 6 pm untill 9pm with my mom at our local sainsburys,i had to obtain a work permit as i was under 16 years of age....it was all tax free and i was the richest teenager in the school getting over 100.00 pounds per week:)

Did put extra pressure on at exam time though,sort of regret it now!! homework got later and later

i then had to go on yts carpentry and joinery 30.00 per week,what a come down:) for 4 years

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 By: R.C.K COURIERS Member since: Jun 23, 2009
  12. BlueprintAnimation

BlueprintAnimation UKBF Newcomer Free Member

My daughter really dislikes the little flat we're living in and she knows we're saving up to buy a house. She asked me the other day if she could get a job cleaning people's houses to help us save! She was so genuine and well-intentioned I felt really bad telling her it isn't allowed when you're 6 : (

If she was 13 though, I think a paper round would be fine... assuming we've moved out of this cesspit area by then. (and of course she would be keeping her money herself!)

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 By: BlueprintAnimation Member since: Mar 18, 2009
  13. KidsBeeHappy

KidsBeeHappy UKBF Newcomer Full Member

Cafes are other good places for first jobs. A bit safer because their indoors in one place. Bit of washing up, cleaning tables etc. All bottom of the ladder stuff but essential life skills!

Posted: Jun 23, 2009 By: KidsBeeHappy Member since: Oct 9, 2007
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. estwig

Nothing wrong with starting at the bottom of the ladder.

That's a good call, thanks, if the paper round doesn't come off I will make enquiries.

15. Blush

Blush UKBF Newcomer Full Member

If she wants a part time job at 13 though don't knock it, encourage it.it can only do her good to get into the habit of early mornings! only wish my 15 year old had taken that paper round, mornings are not her thing she tells me:eek:, in fact she claims it is a scientific fact that teenagers are not programmed to get up early:rolleyes:

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 By: Blush Member since: Mar 22, 2007
  16. An Oasis

An Oasis UKBF Newcomer Full Member

Have you done the appropriate risk assessments and completed forms 112a-1923b? And she trained under the states “let’s ease them into a controlled environment, jobs for all, I say” scheme? I’d also recommend the appropriate hypsometrical tests; otherwise she may end up hating you for forcing her into slavery. Also I think that you should consider if this job should not be given to someone who has just been invited into their country, so as to keep the equal ops brigade happy. Buddy it’s a minefield best to do nothing.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
    Posted: Jun 24, 2009 By: An Oasis Member since: Oct 3, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Mister B

Mister B UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Good luck to her...two of mine had evening paper rounds and a) The hardwork never harmed them and b) It gives them the extra cash they need to keep them in tabs and alcopops. Saves them nicking yours;)
    Ours did need a permit but it was all done through the employer.

Good call on the cafe, the other sound idea is to go work in the local farm shop on the tills. Cold in the winter but hey, should harden them up for a life in the building game:D

Mister B

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 By: Mister B Member since: Aug 31, 2007
  18. bigmedia

bigmedia UKBF Newcomer Free Member

When I was a lad (not that long ago) it wasnt very well controlled and the papershops rarely had the paperwork they needed. Your daughter will need to sign a work permit type thing, from what I remember it basically says something about the numbers of hours she'll be limited to. Make sure they have insurance as well.

You always hear horror stories about paper boys and girls getting injured and run over, but as long as the area is safe and they've got a bit of common sense I think it's fine. Plus the xmas tips are the best thing ever, my wages used to go up from £8 a week up to about £100. I'm guessing they get paid more now, although there was no minimum wage for u16s last time I checked.

Matt

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 By: bigmedia Member since: May 29, 2008
  19. Robert Wheeler

Robert Wheeler UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I have never been a fan of the paper round idea. When i was a school, the few kids that did it always seemed to be very lethargic and suffered all kinds of aches and pains. Getting up in the early morning to work and then going through the whole school day, then doing homework etc. is a very long day for a kid. I think it is especially hard for a teenage girl, who is still getting used to her cycles and so on. Maybe one or at a push two days a week I could understand, but anythign more is bad news.

There used to be so many kids eager to do paper rounds that I could never understand why our newsagent had one or two coverign a massive area day in day out - except that it saved them a lot of cash in deliveries...

Posted: Jun 24, 2009 By: Robert Wheeler Member since: Jan 11, 2009
  20. traxor

traxor UKBF Newcomer Free Member

According to the Children and Young Persons Act, no children under the age of 13 are allowed to be employed in the United Kingdom, obviously excluding acting jobs etc.

- People between the ages of 13 and 16 may not do any work, paid/unpaid before 07:00 or after 19:00
    - For more than 2 hours on a school day or a Sunday, before the close of school hours
    - More than twelve hours a week during term time
    - For more than 5 hours for 13-14 year olds on Saturdays or weekdays on school holidays
    - More than 25 hours a week during school holidays
    - For more than four hours without taking an hour break.
    - Children must have a two week break during the school holiday in each calendar year.

Your local council may have different rules, so check these laws out, where you may require evidence that the job is safe and a permit for each worker from the local educational authority.

Hope that helps!

By the way, I had a paper-round, it was rubbish.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
    Posted: Jun 24, 2009 By: traxor Member since: May 23, 2009