Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Tax number & National insurance

Discussion in 'Northern Ireland' started by emma8704, Apr 14, 2014.

1. emma8704

emma8704 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I have been approached to write a short article (dictionary entry) and will get paid a small amount to do so (around £50-60). The dictionary and publishers are based in Germany and they have asked for my bank details and 'Tax number' for processing payment. Im wondering if the tax number they are looking is the equilavent of the UK's NI number? Maybe someone with some experience working with employers in europe/overseas would have some insight?
    If not i'm not sure what the tax number they have requested is - the article & payment is in no way connected to my employment (where I am PAYE) so the tax code from there wouldn't be relevant! And as a one-off article with no contract etc. I wouldnt expect to have to declare myself as self-employed and need the unique tax ref for that?

Posted: Apr 14, 2014 By: emma8704 Member since: Apr 14, 2014
  2. Billmccallum

Billmccallum UKBF Newcomer Full Member

I would be very wary about giving personal details to someone I don't know, far too easy to be duped.

Posted: Apr 14, 2014 By: Billmccallum Member since: Apr 20, 2010
  3. emma8704

emma8704 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I appreciate that, but it is no different than the information you would give to a new employer. It is a reputable publication. I did a doctoral degree on the subject which is why I would like to write the article & see it published, even though I no longer work in academia. What would be less risky then? Ask them to send me a cheque and declare it myself?

Posted: Apr 14, 2014 By: emma8704 Member since: Apr 14, 2014
  4. Scalloway

Scalloway UKBF Legend Free Member

It may well be that if you don't provide a German tax number you will have tax deducted from your payment.

Posted: Apr 14, 2014 By: Scalloway Member since: Jun 6, 2010