Sales, Marketing & PR Brought to you by InFront Digital
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Targeting decision makers with Youtube ?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by Scott Millar, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Scott Millar

Scott Millar UKBF Contributor Free Member

Hi guys - I've just started a brand new company that offers managed IT services in the North East of Scotland.

I'm trying to think outside the box and do marketing different to what others are doing in the same space locally. Anyway I'm copying Gary Vaynerchuk's Wine Library TV format with what I hope will be fast paced informative youtube videos.

There videos are to be higher level not to technical and appeal to decision makers in companies. They are usually the type of roles that choose IT suppliers (us).

Here's the first one - I'd love to know what you think:

Anyway I've got a list of topics for future episodes but I'm wondering do you think this will work ? And what topics to you think I should be covering?

Posted: Sep 26, 2016 By: Scott Millar Member since: Mar 13, 2016
  2. WeblinkPlus

WeblinkPlus UKBF Ace Free Member

How sure are you that DMs are on Youtube?

As an ex IT consultant, I'd be dubious. At my last contract, it took four months to get approval for access to a website that was needed for tech support. Free access to Youtube wasn't available.

Posted: Sep 27, 2016 By: WeblinkPlus Member since: Sep 13, 2009
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

I managed 15 seconds and closed the page. it was just so awful.

Decision makers won't be watching videos for inspiration on whom to employ to fix a network. They will take advice from others, get referrals or put out to tender.

Posted: Sep 27, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. Scott Millar

Thanks for the feedback! Fixicx - why do you think it's so awful?

Posted: Sep 27, 2016 By: Scott Millar Member since: Mar 13, 2016
  5. fisicx

Because you spend the first 15 seconds playing with the microphone, wriggling about and waffling on about stuff I don't care about.

I've just watched the first minute and it doesn't get any better. You make all sorts of assumptions about the messages that arrive in my inbox and then you use Outlook which isn't the one I use so I just gave up at that point.

It's not going to get anywhere near the decision makers and those who do watch it will be wondering what on earth you are waffling on about. Nothing you said had anything to do with choosing an IT supplier - which is the only thing I'm interested in.

A wine library I can understand. Or a series on basic DIY. Or videos on grooming cats. But how to manage your inbox? It's about at much fun as watching Bear Grylls drinking his own pee.

Posted: Sep 27, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

Haven't watched it all the way through but you should be aiming at 1 - 1.30 minutes max.

Posted: Sep 27, 2016 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  7. Kat Haylock

Kat Haylock Community Editor Staff Member

You've got a calm, confident tone which makes you very watchable, but I agree you should get to the topic sooner. Skip the introduction waffle (your personality comes across in your demeanor anyway) and just go with a quick "Hi, I'm talking about __, here it is"
    I think the videos are a great idea though, especially if they're different to your local competitors. Keep them up!

Posted: Sep 28, 2016 By: Kat Haylock Member since: Jul 11, 2016
  8. fisicx

@Kat_Haylock - did you watch it all the way to the end?

I though he sounded very unsure, his body language wasn't that of a confident presenter. Far too many um and errs and restarted sentences.

Posted: Sep 28, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. webgeek

webgeek UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

Who are your decision makers and what size of companies? managing director, finance director, CIO? startups, small/micro business, medium sized or what exactly?

If you're targeting anyone in finance, any 'tube is perhaps a bit too far outside the box.

Perhaps your audience is half my age and has time for videos, but don't have the skills to do it themselves or don't have the time to do everything in an org and would outsource it.

I'm picturing you going for home improvement, conservatory, doors and floors type of companies who are mostly sales and installation, needing IT but no budget for it in-house.

Posted: Sep 28, 2016 By: webgeek Member since: May 19, 2009
  10. Richard Moore

Richard Moore UKBF Regular Full Member

I liked it Scott.

Yes, the start was a bit shaky, and you fluffed a few words here and there. But from what I watched you did it in one take and it looked like ad-lib, which is a difficult thing to pull off in a video. I make CBT vids for my product and know from experience how tricky it is to present well with or without a script.

In terms of presentation, I like a video that is a little rough around the edges (by that I mean natural). If a video is waaay too slick and Hollywood it can have an opposite effect as it just looks like a big corporate advert. However if you're targeting business people you might want to wear a more conservative shirt (e.g. plain blue). I'm a jeans a T-shirt man myself, but you need to consider your target audience and some people in business are funny about the colour of your shirt ;)

In terms of whether it will work, I'm not sure. You are focussing on NE Scotland, whereas YouTube has global reach. You will be putting a lot of time and effort into scatter gunning your IT knowledge all around the world for no return.

Further to that, YouTube channels get massive followings when people *love* the subject of the channel. I don't think you will be able to build a following and get repeat traffic because the subject is so boring. BTW I feel qualified to call IT boring because I have an IT business myself ;) What I'm saying is people will flock to a video channel that covers a hobby, but for something like IT they are going to be looking for specific information on how to solve a problem, or to learn about a specific topic such as how to extract data from SQL Server to Excel using SSIS for example.

So IMHO this form of promotion won't get you many conversions for your regional IT business, but you do have a good screen presence so keep on making the videos. Just do them about a subject people will want to tune into again and again.

Best of luck with the new company!

Posted: Sep 28, 2016 By: Richard Moore Member since: Nov 14, 2009
  11. fisicx

The problem with the video is the subject matter. It doesn't fit into any particular genre and doesn't target prospective clients.

Managing email is a problem for some but those looking for answers are unlikely to be those looking for an IT provider.

I also like videos that are aren't polished but unless the material on offer is useful and targeted then it's not really going to do anything. Especially as the OP has a very specific aim

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Posted: Sep 28, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  12. Scott Millar

Thanks for all the feedback on my first video. I've been working on toning down a few things and communicating clearer. Here's my most recent video - I'm straight into what the video is about.

Comments?

Posted: Oct 24, 2016 By: Scott Millar Member since: Mar 13, 2016
  13. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

5 1/2 minutes :(

Posted: Oct 24, 2016 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  14. fisicx

Why the countdown?

The video launches and within a few seconds starts getting all technical. Why are you showing me how to configure a device before you have even told me what it is. You tell me if will speed up my internet but you then tell me I can sent it out to clients?

I switched of at that point as I have no idea what you are talking about.

Posted: Oct 24, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  15. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

Unlike @fisicx (whose love of YouTube videos is limited!) I believe in videos to help with marketing.

But if you are marketing a serious business service like IT, it should be hosted on your own website. That does not mean that it cannot be on YT, but its primary place of residence should be your website and hosted on your server.

On the positive side, your appearance and dress is perfect for the Aberdeen area. (In London they all have to run around in suits, because they are all poor. I believe John Betjeman wrote about them -

Rest you there, poor unbelov'd ones,
    Lap your loneliness in heat.
    All too soon the tiny breakfast,
    Trolley-bus and windy street!

Unless of course, they are executives, in which case he wrote

I am a young executive. No cuffs than mine are cleaner;
    I have a Slimline brief-case and I use the firm's Cortina.

But now to your video itself -

Ouch! It makes all the mistakes. Every single one. You have not left one fundamental mistake out.
    • It is too long. A promo video can be two minutes max. The shorter it is, the better.
    • It is poorly lit. Get proper video lighting.
    • There is a cheap Skype-style mic in the middle of the picture. Instead of the Rode 'Podcaster', get a decent lapel mic or use an overhead shotgun, out of the picture.
    • The words um, er or erm should NEVER be in any presentation whatsoever! They should NEVER be in a live presentation and definitely should never be in a video. If a human being is incapable of the simple task of standing on their hind legs and delivering a speech without reading a script and without saying um, er or erm, then it is either a sign of stupidity, or that they are not taking the task of presenting themselves seriously.
    • It is unscripted. It needs form and a format.
    • It is unedited. You can download a whole host of free video editors, including DaVinci Resolve, which is a fully professional package, as well as simple editors. Use them!
    • As @fisicx says, what's with the countdown? A video 'sting' should last a second or two, if it is a very long one. Not umpteen seconds! And it should be unique to you and your company, incorporate your logo and never some off-the-shelf nonsense. You should be introducing a one- or two-minute video, not 'Gone with the Wind'!
    • You are supposed to be an IT guru, yet you have all kinds of technical difficulties. The German word 'Armutszeugnis' springs to mind!
    • The presenter should tell me right at the top of the piece, what the hell it's all about - "This is the best wifi device money can buy! And guess what - it's as cheap as some of the rubbish the ISPs try to sell you!" Follow that with a bullet pointed list of key advantages and then a call to action "Buy it this month and get £X off! And I'll throw in a complete tailor-made configuration for your company!"

Bang! Bang! Bang! What it is. What it does. Why you need one. Call to action!

Not silly slick, but short, sharp and to the point!

Posted: Oct 24, 2016 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  16. fisicx

I do like video and I do like good marketing video. But I chose to watch them as part of my research rather than them being the research. I have no idea what this and the previous video are all about - they certainly aren't targeting the decision makers. If I were an FD or head of IT I wouldn't we trawling YT looking for videos about wifi devices. I might watch the manufacturer's video after I've done a bit of Googling but I can't think of any reason why I'd want to watch you try to login to a control panel and then try to make sense of a three inch wide screenshot of that CP.

Posted: Oct 24, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  17. Scott Millar

WOW Byre thank you for the informative reply. All points duly noted. Do yo think it's poorly lit?

Here's the latest installment. Down to 2 minutes BUT I know it's not "businessy" but this one is for the masses. Anyway.

Posted: Oct 28, 2016 By: Scott Millar Member since: Mar 13, 2016
  18. Ostrich2000

Ostrich2000 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Scott.

I have helped 11 businesses (so far) develop channels on youtube. (depending on your niche but typically if you follow all there is to follow you will have 35k - 50k+ following within first year).

Here are the things to note:

People will forgive you the image, they will never forgive you the sound. My BBC colleague I work with always tells me that. Your sound is good, your video is decent.

Remember one thing - YouTube establishes your presence, grounds and positions you in the market, helps your potential clients decide that you are the expert.

You are doing the right thing. YouTube Success Mantra is....(drum rolls........) CONSISTENCY.

People who like your content comment/share/talk about it.
    BRAND: Create your intro slate and end slate (please). End slate should have your call to action typically: SUBSCRIBE.

Please don't freak out and do NOT go for perfection, go for consistency.

There are ways to position you for keywords, category and all, that's beyond the point. There is not a single technique for this, there is a strategy and all little tweaks will bring you to success. Improve all the time, be consistent and show integrity.

Drop me a line or two if you want to talk about it.

Posted: Oct 28, 2016 By: Ostrich2000 Member since: Sep 29, 2016
  19. fisicx

Scott, why the running through the fields at the beginning?

And why is it scary? The price hike has been well publicised and commented on all over the place. Why do you keep looking off camera?

Posted: Oct 29, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  20. fisicx

Addendum:

I don't doubt your IT skills but I can't see where you are going with these videos. They seem to be more general info shorts than targeting the decision makers. If it's the former then keep churning them out and hope for some traction. If it's the latter then it doesn't seem to be going in the right direction.

Posted: Oct 29, 2016 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006