Syncing Outlook 2007 with Galaxy S4 - advise please

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by LMDServicesUK, Jul 31, 2013.

1. LMDServicesUK

LMDServicesUK UKBF Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

Fellow members,

I have just taken the plunge and retired my faithful (but unreliable) Blackberry 9300 in favour of a new Samsung Galaxy S4, which I am vey pleased with except for one thing..

Syncing the phone with my Outlook calendar/memos/tasks etc is proving to be problematic and has already lead to my having to recover my Outlook config from a backup..

Question being anybody recommend a good sync / back s/w package that I can use, not overly impressed with Kies and it is very slow and makes Outlook unusable during a sync.

I have installed Android sync on trial basis, but looking for advise guidance from any more experienced users out there.

Also how do I get it to sync with my Google calendar automatically d I need to install an app or widget ?

Many thanks

Mark
    Posted: Jul 31, 2013 By: LMDServicesUK Member since: Apr 18, 2013
  2. Paul_Rosser

Paul_Rosser UKBF Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

Are you using exchange to host your email ?

I just moved to the new blackberry Q10 from an older device and all the issues with syncing calendars, contacts wirelessly etc without using Blackberry Enterprise Sevrer have now been resolved as it supports Microsoft ActivSync.
    Posted: Jul 31, 2013 By: Paul_Rosser Member since: Jul 5, 2012
  3. LMDServicesUK

Tx Paul

I am using Outlook 2007, and having now had two major crashes using the Samsung provided Kies s/w, I have sacked it..

To be fair my old Blackberry Desktop s/w worked OK most of the time, and never caused me the issues I am now having, hence seeking advice as to suitable Android based syncing s/w to replace what Blackberry desktop did for me..

How are you finding the Q10, I was tempted but in the end the availability of apps that I need for my business activities have guided me down the Android route, and I have to say the Galaxy S4 is brilliant, just need to get some syncing s/w that works !

Tx

Mark
  4. Paul_Rosser

Finding the Q10 very good but I don't really use any apps and it's just for email.

I've had a blackberry since the very early black and white versions so I'm kind of attached to a proper keyboard.

My girlfriend has an S3 and she loves it, using Gmail all her contacts etc sync automatically.
  5. llocally

llocally UKBF Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

Syncing what exactly? Outlook 2007 is 'client' software unless I misunderstand what you are saying (I avoid Microsoft products if I can), but surely you want your PC 'client' software & phone 'client' software to sync with a server.

Of course Andriod being a Google product the easiest way is to have google as your server.
    Posted: Jul 31, 2013 By: llocally Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  6. Paul_Rosser

The OP was talking about syncing using a cable and the blackberry desktop software.

Things have moved on a bit and most people now do this directly to the server, but depends on who's hosting the email and which protocols they support as POP3/IMAP don't support contacts and calendar entries by default.
  7. LMDServicesUK

Hi Llocally

Sorry, I currently sync my calendar, memos, task, contacts etc between my Blackberry 9300 phone and my Office Outlook 2007 on my PC.

However since switching to my new phone (Samsung Galaxy S4) I have had two major crashes resulting me having to recover Outlook from backups not good using the vendor provided s/w.

Hence my looking for a reliable alternative sync s/w app for the Android to do this job, a la Blackberry Desktop.

There is no server involved, but it is making me start thinking about a Cloud solution as an alternative.

Tx Mark
  8. Paul_Rosser

Depending on who provides your email at the moment they may be able to offer a suitable solution.

If not if you move to a hosted exchange setup you can sync with the server using activsync on android, Ios (apple) or blackberry to have everything done over the air without having to use a cable.
  9. llocally

llocally UKBF Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

Syncing between a mobile device and desktop is so 1990's.:)

Google have a full suite of cloud based services, contacts, memo, docs, email and setting up and Andriod to benefit from these is simple, actually 'built in'.

Of course you can still use Outlook for you email client using IMAP. Not too up on outlook regarding Goolge Calendar, but on my desktop I use Thunderbird as an email / clanader client and that works fine with Google Calendar.
    Posted: Jul 31, 2013 By: llocally Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  10. LMDServicesUK

Hi Paul

I have a lot of email accounts under my Outlook (and even more emails..) and like you was a sworn BB user, but I have to say I have been won over.

The Google calendar is working fine, and happily keeps my PS email in sync, so hopefully the problem can be sorted, and I guess I need to ween myself off Outlook !

Tx

Mark
  11. LMDServicesUK

Tx Guys

Most helpful, however I prefer to use Outlook on my desktop as it is easier to compose emails, set up calendar entries etc.

I have sacked the USB cable in favour of the wireless options that the Galaxy offers, and I agree maybe time to check out Office 365 or similar and take the strain off my office PC !

Off to check out your suggestions now..

Rgds

Mark
  12. Paul_Rosser

You can still use Outlook on your desktop if you setup your phone to sync with your email server.

Which features your server will support (calendar, contacts etc) will be down to the provider of the email service.

Who do you currently use for your email ?
    Posted: Aug 1, 2013 By: Paul_Rosser Member since: Jul 5, 2012
  13. LMDServicesUK

Hi Paul

VM, BT and Google and others, but I think I have managed to sort out using Google calendar to achieve the aim, and I have found a product called Sync2 which would appear to do what I need and not very expensive approve £ 30.

Tx again for all the help.

Mark
    Posted: Aug 1, 2013 By: LMDServicesUK Member since: Apr 18, 2013
  14. estwig

estwig UKBF Regular Free Member

I do exactly what you are looking for and have done for many years. The best piece of software I have found is http://www.fieldstonsoftware.com/software/gsyncit3/ works beautifully.
    Posted: Aug 1, 2013 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. LMDServicesUK

Tx Estwig,

This looks ideal and cheaper.. will check it out

Thanks everyone again for the advice, proves the value of this Forum again..

Mark
    Posted: Aug 1, 2013 By: LMDServicesUK Member since: Apr 18, 2013