1. Welcome to UKBF! Check out our FAQ guide.

Stopped cheque - ouch!

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by Claire B, May 4, 2006.

1. Claire B

Claire B UKBF Regular Free Member

One of my customers decided to 'stop' their enrolment payment to my classes and my bank has charged me £12.00, plus a futher £17.50 for the letter advising me! (The cheque was for £40.40)

I'm just wondering what everyone else does when this happens and if i can protect myself against it appening again.

I don't really want to chase the parent and ask them to cover the costs as I doubt they will agree to pay.

I guess this is the price i pay for free business banking
  2. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Regular Free Member

It is worth asking the parent if they stopped the cheque on purpose or whether they reported the cheque book stolen etc. These things can happen for innocent reasons.

You won't recover those extra costs but now you know you need to make sure people know they can get a cheerful refund instead of resorting to stopping cheques.
  3. Antonia @limeone.com

Antonia @limeone.com UKBF Regular Free Member

Its a matter for your terms and conditions reflecting this so you can cover costs in the event of this happening in the future. Additionally you can actually take a debt action on the issue of the stopped cheque alone but given the amount a friendly word and cash would probably work better in this case.

I have sent you an email also!
  4. Gillie

Gillie UKBF Regular Full Member - Verified Business

Tried asking your bank for part of the charges back? It does work!! Although which bank are you with? Being charged for a letter? Or have I been spoilt?
  5. MarkD

MarkD UKBF Regular Free Member

6. sammie

sammie UKBF Regular Free Member

Hi,
    Your bank can waive those charges, irrespective of what their letter says!. If you feel your bank are not acting as business partners but as leeches, then change your bankers

Sammie