IT & Internet Brought to you by Jolt
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Some idea of prices

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by silvermusic, Jan 16, 2009.

1. silvermusic

silvermusic UKBF Ace Free Member

For a future project I need uk web hosting with ftp access, about 1gb web space, a web forum and a blog all running on the domain.

Haven't got a clue on bandwidth but i'd need a package where it could be increased if/when it takes off. I'd need someone to initially install and set up the the blog (wordpress) and forum software. The web site I don't need any help with that's all sorted and something i'm confident enough to do myself and I don't need e-commerce either and i already have the domain name, owned it for a while now.

I'm trying to get some idea of what this lot would cost me, from looking this morning I'm having difficulty finding someone that can cater for all of this in one package.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: silvermusic Member since: Nov 22, 2008
  2. GigaNu

GigaNu UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I think one of your best bets would be to find some good reliable hosting, there are a huge number of companies out there offering 1gb webspace, ftp access etc. Once you have your hosting usually the hosts will install any extra software you need either for free or for a small charge! Even if it doesn't say it on hosts websites, they are more than capable of doing the extra work you need.

If for some unknown reason they are not able to install the software then there are many freelancers online who will do the job for a small fee!

Just don't be afraid to ask

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: GigaNu Member since: Nov 8, 2008
  3. silvermusic

Although I don't foresee any problems once the blog and forum software is installed, I'd prefer to have a company that supports them just incase anything goes wrong that I can't fix rather than relying on a freelancer. Web sites I've been doing for many years, but blog and forum software setup/maintenance is outside of my comfort zone. :)

4. GigaNu

GigaNu UKBF Newcomer Free Member

What blog and forum software will you be using?

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: GigaNu Member since: Nov 8, 2008
  5. stugster

stugster UKBF Legend Free Member

SM,

Completely depends on what your bandwidth is going to be. It's like asking the cost of a car but not taking into account the petrol over the year.

Almost all webhosts will be able to provide you a package that outlines the things you require - and the good webhosts will install the services you mentioned for you.

As a rough guide, for 1GB disk-space and 10GB Bandwidth a month, 5 SQL databases, etc. etc. You'd probably pay in the region of £8 a month to a company that doesn't over-sell the space, or maybe £2 a month to a company that does.

Prices vary.

What matters first is that you get your requirements right in your head before you go looking at prices.

It's like looking for a car based on knowing you want four wheels and a chasis.

Do you love my car analogies? :)

P.S. Most web hosts will be able to upgrade/downgrade things like bandwidth for you - watch out for the ones that will charge you extortionate fees for going over the limits though!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  6. Greg Findley

Greg Findley UKBF Newcomer Free Member

From my experience most hosting companies will assist you with install and initial setup of 3rd party software like forums and blogs, but beyond that you'll need to upgrade them yourself, or get a freelancer to do so. Most forum/blog software is very simple to upgrade, especially the new Wordpress (if you was considering WP)

HTH
    Greg

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: Greg Findley Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  7. silvermusic

Blog software probably Wordpress unless there's a good reason not to. As for forum software I don't know, something I should do some reaserch on.

8. Greg Findley

Greg Findley UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Wordpress is a good choice, very simple to install/upgrade with the new 2.7 version :)

As for forums, IMHO you can't beat vBulletin, but it does come with a price tag unlike the opensource alternatives such as phpBB.

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: Greg Findley Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  9. silvermusic

Indeed, which is why i asked for something that could be upgraded if/when I need to. To start with I suspect the bandwidth would be minimal and well within most generally available packages. Should however, it exceed my wildest expectations (we can hope to be the next Google :) ) Then I don't want to be in the position of a company that can't handle it.

10. Gatt Design

Gatt Design UKBF Newcomer Free Member

phpBB is excellent, I use it on one of my websites. Best thing is it's free! :D

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: Gatt Design Member since: Jan 15, 2009
  11. stugster

In that case, base your decision on a company that has the potential to grow with you. One that can easily throw terrabytes of bandwidth at your account if the need arises.

To be honest though - if the bandwidth gets to the stages we're talking, you'd be better moving to your own dedicated server at that point (probably).

12. SilverlineWebSolutions

SilverlineWebSolutions UKBF Newcomer Free Member

We use SMF on our support forum. We didn't necessarily use it because it was free (free stuff is great when it's good!!) but the software was very professional and easy to use (which is a huge plus point).

If you need any advice, do let me know :)

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: SilverlineWebSolutions Member since: Dec 26, 2007
  13. silvermusic

Wow. that was quick, it does look like I need to think a little more about things in light of what has been mentioned. Perhaps now would be a good time to learn about blog and forum software. Thanks for those that have replied by PM too, I'll take a look when i get back form the posting run.

14. stugster

Watch out tho mate, all the replies by PM will just be "BUY FROM ME! BUY FROM ME!" crap :)

15. FluxServices

FluxServices UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi,

If your still looking around please check out www.rjh-enterprises.com - We have some good prices their, any questions pm me :)

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: FluxServices Member since: Dec 28, 2008
  16. silvermusic

Don't worry, I'm more than capable of sorting out those who use real UK hosting from those that don't, I've been creating and running various web sites since 1998. ;) Just hosting the forum and blog software is new for me. The only blog I run is hosted on blogger.com

17. JamieBeeston

JamieBeeston UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I'd imagine most hosts will have packages that they allow you to seamlessly migrate to..

Bandwidth is a commodity these days, so you'll not be looking at alot of money for what would've been huge money a few years back.

Just make sure you do your research, find out if the host has real staff (not just some kid and his mum as secretary), real offices, that they own their own servers and dont just rent them from another reseller of a reseller of a reseller..

Have a good around for the companies you're looking at, see what comments there are etc..

Everyone and their dog claims to be a host these days, but most are just one man bands trying to get rich quick who only end up getting bored quick

Enjoy ;)

J

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: JamieBeeston Member since: Jan 11, 2009
  18. stugster

In this day and age, that's a silly expense.

19. SilverlineWebSolutions

SilverlineWebSolutions UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi Jamie,

I do agree with most of your comments you made above however, some people who try to run a web hosting company don't necessarily have the funds to be able to buy a small cluster of servers. Sometimes using a larger company to sell hosting services unbranded is the only way forward in starting your company.

Won't anyone give the little guy a try sometimes? :rolleyes:

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: SilverlineWebSolutions Member since: Dec 26, 2007
  20. JamieBeeston

JamieBeeston UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi,

I totally understand your point, hell, I sell hundreds of Dedicated Servers to customers who will use them to resell from, and tbh Tier2 resellers arent my main gripe.. it's those who resell space, thats resold from a reseller of a reseller.. with every step down the chain, the number involved seem to magically increase, whilst the prices decrease.. and the wild claims go.. well wild!

This industry desperately needs regulation, however for now, all we can do is try and self-regulate, and crucially, increase awareness to the end user!

Everyone has to start somewhere, of that you'll get no argument from me, my issue isnt with those who resell, it's with those who lie about it ;)

J

Posted: Jan 16, 2009 By: JamieBeeston Member since: Jan 11, 2009