Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Small claims court.. I want to counter claim

Discussion in 'Legal' started by LondonZip, Sep 26, 2011.

  1. LondonZip

    LondonZip UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 1 Likes: 0

    Back in 2009 me and a partner set-up a company selling software, after a while we set-up another company (a mini-cab company).

    The shares were split 51/49% with me having the 49% in both companies.

    During the time I worked at the company he gave me some money (£6,500 in total) on the understanding that I would pay the money back when the company went into profit and I could draw a wage and dividends. No agreement was signed.

    After a few months the partner went in to business in another mini-cab company (in competition with ours), and eventually I was forced to leave (after a year and a half of not earning a wage but working for the company).

    I resigned as a director and left but kept my equity.

    After a few months he was pestering me to give up my equity for nothing saying it was worth nothing, and also asking me to pay back the £6,500. I said I would give him the shares for £6,500. He's answer was that he would move or set-up another company and trade from that company effectively making the cab company worthless.

    After a while he asked me to give up my shares in the software company as we didn't do any business through it anyway, I agreed thinking that this would look helpful from my end and hopefully allow us to negotiate the mini-cab equity.

    I have now received a small courts claim for £6,500 + solicitors fees. I am unsure whether I should be counter-claiming. Do I have a leg to stand on?

    Thanks in advance for any help,

    Posted: Sep 26, 2011 By: LondonZip Member since: Sep 25, 2011