setting up an Estate Agency

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Ukproperty, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Ukproperty

Ukproperty UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi,

I'm looking to set up an Estate agency to sell residential properties in England, can anyone tell me the process in which I can do this.

thanks in advance
    Posted: Jun 13, 2007 By: Ukproperty Member since: Jun 13, 2007
  2. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

Doh, easy one!!!!

Find people who want sell their houses, sell them for them and charge a commission.
    Posted: Jun 13, 2007 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  3. da8iwr

da8iwr UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Posted: Jun 13, 2007 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  4. da8iwr

Also if your interested i have made dozens of simple websites for estate agents using our own website system
    http://www.newworlddesigns.co.uk/simpleproperty/

But we also make quite huge property systems for the larger agents..

Not that I'm hijacking this thread or anything he-he
    Regards
    Ian
  5. Ukproperty

Ukproperty UKBF Newcomer Free Member

What I mean is the legal process, I currently have a business in Ireland and I'm looking into the possibilities of setting up an estate agency in England. Once I have a registered English company what do I have to do to become a registered estate agent?

In some countries there can be strict rules and regulations around the real estate business and there is a long process involved, is this true for England!

Regards
    Posted: Jun 13, 2007 By: Ukproperty Member since: Jun 13, 2007
  6. da8iwr

As far as i have gathered reading reports on other sites screaming for estate agents to be licenced or registered in some way, there is no rules, legislation's or laws that they have to abide by.

But nothing is stopping from that changing in the future, which means if you do start trading now and then it changes, you may have to cease trading until your become qualified to what ever they say.

There is an organisation called National Association of Estate Agents
    http://www.naea.co.uk/
    Which has lots of info. Most is just trying to get you to register with them and buy one of their courses, so i would take a bit with a pinch of salt.
  7. Lorna

Lorna UKBF Newcomer Free Member

There are no official rules or regulations in this country (and that is part of the problem!) If you are a member of the NAEA or join the ombudsman it will look better and gives people more confidence.

Shouldn't really give you advice though - I run a website for private property sales!:D
    Posted: Jun 14, 2007 By: Lorna Member since: Mar 24, 2007
  8. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

Two keys points for being a successful estate agent are, you must have a......

Fin sticking out of your back and small black beady eyes!!!!!
    ;)
    Posted: Jun 14, 2007 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  9. cyberduck

cyberduck UKBF Newcomer Free Member

We recently developed a website for Greenstone estate agents in st johns wood. The new Website provides interactive map results which is something that more and more property punters like to see when browsing through property websites. You should also have a marketing plan on the internet. Before the Website you probably need a business plan, shop, staff etc'

Good luck
    Posted: Jul 30, 2007 By: cyberduck Member since: Sep 2, 2006
  10. FocusZenith

FocusZenith UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I agree with CyberDuck, by having a GIS map showing the locations of different types of houses gives buyers more flexibility, especially if they can search for the properties that suit their requirements. I think that MapPoint is a good piece of software for this.
    Posted: Jul 30, 2007 By: FocusZenith Member since: Mar 8, 2003
  11. da8iwr

http://www.gorillaproperty.com/backup_gor_php/index2.php

we have our own system we use for many estate agents, and find that if you just make a link to Google map, like we have done on their, with the postcode, it works fine.

Just click on search, and then on any property, you will see what i mean.

Ian
    Posted: Jul 30, 2007 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  12. voucha

voucha UKBF Newcomer Free Member

how much would you be looking for these sort of website systems?? Also can the owner easily update them each day with new properties etcc them selves??
    Posted: Jul 30, 2007 By: voucha Member since: Apr 10, 2007
  13. da8iwr

Not much mate, the system itself is just a few tags we add to PHP pages. The main engine of the system is all hand made by me and my staff, not open source.

So the main cost is the design of the site, so if you can either provide that or give me some good direction to go in, like links to sites you really like, it wont take to long at all, just a few days work.

If you goto http://www.gorillaproperty.com/backup_gor_php/cms/ and use admin admin to get in, you can see how it works, its extremely simple.

Give me a PM if your interested :)
    Posted: Jul 30, 2007 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  14. voucha

voucha UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I just looked at the control panel and it seems very easy to use.. i like it!! Can it be intergrated with rightmove.co.uk, so it updates that site as well?? drop me a pm and we can discuss further. thanks
    Posted: Jul 30, 2007 By: voucha Member since: Apr 10, 2007
  15. zaci

zaci Guest

hello iam about to set my own estate agent business up iv been sellin business for the last 2 years,, in the domestic side of things how do you go about finding people to sell there homes through you. with selling business we have a team of tele sales reps who cold call all day.. i cnt see it being the same
    Posted: Aug 1, 2010 By: zaci Member since: Aug 1, 2010
  16. da8iwr

Are you asking how to find people to advertise with you, or the buyers to buy the properties your advertising?

For either question, if you dont know the answers, maybe your in the wrong business.
    Posted: Aug 2, 2010 By: da8iwr Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  17. Against_All_Odds

Against_All_Odds UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi there - I do think you have to be a member of a redress scheme these days - either RICS or the property ombudsman...
    Posted: Aug 2, 2010 By: Against_All_Odds Member since: Sep 27, 2009
  18. Urban Publications

Urban Publications UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

Not another 3 year old Estate Agent thread
    Posted: Aug 2, 2010 By: Urban Publications Member since: Jun 8, 2010
  19. amanda1112

amanda1112 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Anyone can be an estate agent. There are currently no laws on qualifications in the u.k as far as I know. How do you propose to get properties to sell?? I've worked in property management and estate agency for 6 years. If you can gain 1 property per month you will be doing ok but if you can sell that 1 property in a month your doing even better IMO
    Posted: Aug 22, 2010 By: amanda1112 Member since: Oct 30, 2009