Selling Website Advertising Space

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Trace, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Trace

Trace UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi,
    I am new here and found this forum after searching for 'how much to sell website advertising space?', and found an interesting thread.

Although I am still a little unsure of how much to charge, I am even more unsure of how to reply to the email requesting to buy advertising space on my website. I also wonder whether the email is genuine. I suppose there are scams centred around this sort of thing? To get peoples bank details etc.

My website is fairly new. It does not even get 1000 visitors a month (yet) and I never expected to get an email out of the blue from someone offering to buy advertising space. Is this normal?

Anyway this is the email:
    I recently discovered your website and believe that we may have similar
    aims. I represent a client who is currently seeking advertising partners for
    his successful and well-respected online gaming site. Said client is
    interested in buying ad space within your website. If you are interested,
    please contact me so we may discuss details further.

I am thinking of replying with something like:

Thank you for your email.

I would be happy to consider your offer to buy advertising space within my website.

If you could provide more details regarding specification, size and any other factors, I would be happy to review and provide you with a price. We charge a flat monthly fee, payable one month in advance via PayPal.

Should you require any further information please do not hesitate to contact me.

end
    Any advice greatly appreciated.​
    Posted: Sep 15, 2009 By: Trace Member since: Sep 15, 2009
  2. liams7

liams7 UKBF Regular Full Member

I would find out who the company are,

There are loads of these emails flying about at the moment.

Just be a little careful if someone doesnt tell you who they are first.

Liam
    Posted: Sep 16, 2009 By: liams7 Member since: Feb 21, 2008
  3. Subbynet

Subbynet UKBF Regular Moderator

Less than 1000 visitors a month means its not going to earn you any decent amount of cash.

Another thing, flat rate monthly fee's... People are going to pay you for the amount of people looking at the advert, or the number of people who click the advert, but most probably the latter. That means you might have this advert on your site for months before a single dime is earned. The chances of someone giving you a flat rate every month (of any decent sized sum) is just unlikely to happen.
    Posted: Sep 16, 2009 By: Subbynet Member since: Aug 1, 2005
  4. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Full Member - Verified Business

Get these all the time. It's mostly gambling sites and you have been contacted by a reseller. They get a commission for every ad they place.

I did follow up one just to see where it went. They won't reveal the client and the income was going to be $150 per year. In addition the advert is dynamic, this means you have no idea what they are showing your visitors.
    Posted: Sep 17, 2009 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. justfigures

justfigures UKBF Regular Free Member

Yes same here. But there seems to of been an increase in them over the last couple of months. Shame that you have to suspect every offer as a scam, but at least that way you are less likely to be caught out.

Regards
    Posted: Sep 18, 2009 By: justfigures Member since: Jan 19, 2008
  6. extremedistro

extremedistro UKBF Regular Free Member

this email wasnt from a company called 'linkstar' by any chance was it?
    Posted: Sep 19, 2009 By: extremedistro Member since: May 10, 2008
  7. ShoppingVouchers

ShoppingVouchers UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I've seen buysellads.com floating about quite a bit, I can't recommend them as I've never used them -but worth a look.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
    Posted: Sep 21, 2009 By: ShoppingVouchers Member since: Sep 21, 2009
  8. rhymz

rhymz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

hi
    i am also new in the whole website thing, does anyone know the best way to get more traffice through a website, or should i say the cheap way?
    Posted: Sep 23, 2009 By: rhymz Member since: Sep 23, 2009
  9. rendy

rendy UKBF Contributor Free Member

I sold some contextual links on a couple of my 'dormant' websites to linkstar, they came in asking about a specific page, and I suggested 3 or so of my other sites, they picked a few pages, and provided slight modifications to my text, for the contextual link.

They paid a fair price (sites were very low traffic, so anything was a bonus) of around 100 USD per link, and they had about 3 links on 2 sites.

Money straight into paypal, no problems at all. Would be happy to deal with them again if they came back! :D
    Posted: Sep 23, 2009 By: rendy Member since: Aug 13, 2009
  10. scan18

scan18 Banned

i think the same way
    Posted: Sep 23, 2009 By: scan18 Member since: Sep 23, 2009
  11. F1SEO

F1SEO UKBF Regular Free Member

Had one yesterday from someone representing Ciao. Wanting advertising space one of my nice PR4 niche blogs, don't think they care about PR site though. Will see what happens .. looks genuine enough
    Posted: Sep 24, 2009 By: F1SEO Member since: Sep 23, 2007