Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Self Employed Mechanic - what insurance do I need?

Discussion in 'Tradespeople' started by Typar, Apr 21, 2011.

  1. Typar

    Typar UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 1 Likes: 0

    I am about to start working as a self employed car mechanic. I will be working in other people's premises on behalf of their businesses, but not as an employee.

    How can I find out what insurance I should have? Where do I stand if an accident occurs as a result of work I have done on a car?

    Thanks in advance.

    Posted: Apr 21, 2011 By: Typar Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  2. serasan

    serasan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 153 Likes: 23
    I go to people's houses to measure and then fit blinds and all I have is public liability from simplybusiness.co.uk

    I am sure they can advise you as to what they can offer.
    Posted: Apr 21, 2011 By: serasan Member since: Mar 6, 2011
  3. MyAccountantOnline

    MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

    Posts: 11,847 Likes: 2,220
    You could try this - http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/layer?topicId=1075196424
    Posted: Apr 21, 2011 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  4. TheGuru2010

    TheGuru2010 UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

    Posts: 936 Likes: 107

    It depends on the dutys that you will perform, are you moving customers vehicles?

    You will also need to make sure you have cover for "goods been worked upon" should you damage the third party property etc.

    Feel free to get in touch should you need to speak further
    Posted: Apr 21, 2011 By: TheGuru2010 Member since: May 11, 2010
  5. Mechanic

    Mechanic UKBF Newcomer Free Member

    Posts: 91 Likes: 2
    Public liability
    Defective workmanship
    Motor trade policy

    Also if carrying tools in van might be worth getting 'tools in transit'
    Posted: Apr 23, 2011 By: Mechanic Member since: Nov 28, 2008