1. Welcome to the new-look UKBF! Check out our FAQ guide.

Sage Question (multiple companies)

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by Strath, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Strath

Strath UKBF Regular Free Member

Hi all

Just a quick question, i've been using sage instant accounts v11 for many years now, which has been great, but now i want to manage the accounts for 3 of my companies using the same program. Instant accounts does not allow this, can anyone recommend which/if any version of sage i can use, or alternatively another program, i have tried MYOB accounting before but it was terrible.
  2. garyk

garyk UKBF Regular Full Member

Your next logical step is Sage (Line) 50 which is multi-company and you can backup your instant accounts data and restore straight into Sage 50. For all intents purposes Instant and 50 are the same just Instant has some features hidden.

Gary
  3. Fernhurst Solutions Ltd

Fernhurst Solutions Ltd UKBF Regular Full Member

i think that sage client manager is the programme that you are looking for ..... have a look at the shop on www.sage.co.uk - its a bit expensive, but if you use the full 25 companies then well worth it :)
  4. Strath

I've had a look at the line 50's but from what the descriptions read they are single company until you get to the professional one which is £1,000ex vat, was hoping for a less than that.

The client manager, seems good, but is okay for the day to day use or purely for the end of year accountants adjustments?
  5. Alpha

Alpha UKBF Regular Full Member

Nope all Sage 50 variants are multi user(max No. of users varies with variant) and multi company you just have to specify how many of each and pay the additional costs so for example a single user 3 company copy of Sage 50 accounts would cost £1025 plus vat:eek:.

Whereas Sage 50 professional starts at £1025 (single user single compay)
  6. Red V8

Red V8 UKBF Regular Free Member

Client Manager is a full blown Sage 50 Accounts Professional with additional functionality to allow your clients to send their data to you for month end and final accounts production... clever bit is that your clients don't have to stop processing whilst you are working on their books, as any material changes (correctlve journals etc) you make are automatically merged back into their copy when you send them their data back.

That said, I think you have to join the Sage Accountants' Club (£395 per year) to get this version...
  7. Basement_Studios_Ltd

Basement_Studios_Ltd UKBF Regular Free Member

Sage is worth the investment in my opinion!

You can sometimes buy 2nd hand licences / programs on ebay for £20-£50, not sure how sage stand on this....but is an option I guess if you can't afford the program.

Rob.
  8. Red V8

Red V8 UKBF Regular Free Member

I think this route may be classed as software piracy... I know it would be for Microsoft licences, I've just had to buy some new ones... worth checking out before you buy.
  9. Strath

Thanks everyone for your advice, after looking into all the points raised ideally i would be better off getting the Client Manager.
  10. Nicster

Nicster UKBF Regular Free Member

Strath, are you a bookkeeper or accountant?

If so, as mentioned before, you can get client manager, I use it and it works fine.

Alternatively, you could try quickbooks, its a little cheaper than Sage and I find it more user friendly.

I do the accounts for about 10 companies on that. I bought Regular 2006 and was lucky as it was still cheap then. Costs a little more now.

PM me if you need more info.

Nicola
  11. Strath

Hi Nicola,

Unfortunatly i'm not an accountant or bookkeeper.

I will look at quickbooks, but i've always stuck with sage as i have worked as a trainee accountant for afew years and sage is the program i got familer with.
  12. Fernhurst Solutions Ltd

i've just joined the sage professional bookkeepers club and got a copy of sage 50 accounts 2008 (5 company version) ..... very good, although am looking to upgrade to the 10 company version ..... if i can be of any assistance ;)
  13. Strath

Just out of interest that 5 company version how much is it? also is that available to "joe public" or is that only to registered accountancy firms?
  14. Fernhurst Solutions Ltd

it cost me 470.00 inc p&p, which includes 12 month membership to the sage professional bookkeepers club - i am only a small bookkeeping business
  15. Strath

How and where do you get that package at that price? I've tried sage but they want £1,000+ and charge extra for each company i require. I defiantly need 2 companies, possibly 3, but dont want to limit myself
  16. Alpha

Alpha UKBF Regular Full Member

The clue was in the 'sage book keepers club' bit;):D
  17. vuaccounting

vuaccounting UKBF Regular Free Member

Hi everyone

Very interesting to read all the comments here. I am new so be kind. Have just phoned Sage and correctly have enquired about the Sage bookkeepers club for £395+vat+£5 postage= £470. Not bad as to buy the software alone would cost a lot more! Oh also, a note to raise is that renewal cost for this next year is also £395+vat (which is a bit much considering the software is already in place!) Can someone confirm this is a good software to use as I have only a couple of regular clients!

Is there a best way of increasing my business potential?

Appreciate all your comments.......

Huong
  18. accountancyextra

accountancyextra UKBF Regular Free Member

Strath,

Are you absolutely stuck on Sage? If not you could use something like VT transaction, which has the same functionality as sage but is much less well known. That's £125+VAT for as many companies as you like I think.
  19. Nicster

Nicster UKBF Regular Free Member

Hi vuaccounting,

I am a member of the bookkeepers club, and although it seems like alot of money, I am glad I joined.

I have 3 clients on Sage, and therefore have more than got my money back. I also have a days work next week helping with an issue on Sage, and a few people have commented that I am a member.

I have the logo on my website aswell which I think people like.
  20. vuaccounting

vuaccounting UKBF Regular Free Member

Many thanks for your reply. I take it that you've got your clients from Sage advertisement itself? I thought that would expose me and hopefully benefit me.

I will join them I think. Do you know if this software allows me to export data to another accountant that uses Sage L50?

Your website looks great with the Sage Logo, being picky your costs page has an incorrect spelling, it's P60 and not P30, I would presume you mean.

I'm getting into this forum.

Huong:)