General Business Forum Brought to you by 9 Spokes
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Royal mail leaflet drops?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Dandig, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Dandig

Dandig UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I have just found out about leaflet drops with the royal mail they quoted £500 for delivery of 12,800 leaflets, what are your opinions on this? I am thinking of doing it to promote my skip and digger / landscape business hoping to generate a bit of work! I think it would be a good idea after christmas!!

Posted: Nov 23, 2009 By: Dandig Member since: Nov 24, 2008
  2. Connections_Media

Connections_Media UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I deal in leaflet distribution in Birmingham and that works out at £26/1000 which isn't too bad, But what you have to think about is how many other leaflets will be going through the door with yours aswell.

Posted: Nov 23, 2009 By: Connections_Media Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  3. sellickbhoy

sellickbhoy UKBF Ace Free Member

i wouldn't recommend using the Royal Mail service

several times a week i get a big bundle of flyers/leaflets pushed through the door with my important mail

it invariably goes straight through the shredder and onto the compost heap

try and look for a solus service - but if you think about it, you can probably deliver 100 per hour on foot. (big posh houses with long drives will reduce that number, blocks of flats will increase that number)

minimum wage is £5.8 or so an hour, so if you see services at under £58 per thousand, you have to wonder if they'll actually be getting delivered

Of course, i'd be interested to hear how companies CAN do it for less that that sort of rate. I don't wish to imply that they are conning you or providing a poor service.

Just intersted in how it's done. :D

Posted: Nov 23, 2009 By: sellickbhoy Member since: Jun 5, 2009
  4. seanstevens

seanstevens UKBF Newcomer Free Member

my old man just retired (or is that was retired) from the RM and says the charge of 4 or 5p per leaflet is normal for them. He now competes with them in the home town of Windsor :)

Agree with the above, that if the RM do if for you it loses a little impact as it drops through the door with other letters. People then pay less attention to the leaflet.

If you get an leaflet company to do if for you then it hits at a different time during the day and has more chance of being looked at.

Good luck.

Posted: Nov 23, 2009 By: seanstevens Member since: Jul 22, 2009
  5. Connections_Media

Yeah I agree with all above...We are based in Birmingham and we charge £40/1000 any less than that we would end up paying to distribute a companies material for them. Always be careful with this as I hear so many horror stories about companies charging like £25/1000 and then the company really expects their leaflets to be delivered. The way I see it is if you pay peanuts your going to get monkies.

Posted: Nov 23, 2009 By: Connections_Media Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  6. virtuallysorted

virtuallysorted UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I've done Royal Mail door drops - both as with post and as solus campaigns. It is very reasonable and it is quite reliable in terms of delivery etc. What is NOT easy though is dealing with Royal Mail.

They are just swines - they question everything from the size of the bundles of your flyers to what colours you use and how they are stacked on the pallets. You can never actually speak to anyone. You spend ages trying to chase people down by phone to get a definitive answer, then they insist you were given the wrong information from their own website. I'd recommend paying a bit extra and using a distribution company - even if they actually use Royal Mail it'll mean you don't have to deal with them.

Posted: Nov 24, 2009 By: virtuallysorted Member since: Jun 29, 2005
  7. elainewhite

elainewhite UKBF Newcomer Free Member

A leaflet drop needs to be repeated 3 times in the same area before people will take notice of it. Local advertising magazines often offer this service, eg Local Link in York.
    Solus companies will often let you choose exactly which roads you want the leaflets delivered to. No point in delivering to blocks of flats with no gardens.

Posted: Nov 24, 2009 By: elainewhite Member since: Nov 24, 2009
  8. sherco

sherco UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I do my own leaflet drops then i can target the properties i want to aim my business at.

Posted: Nov 24, 2009 By: sherco Member since: May 7, 2009
  9. Richie N

Richie N UKBF Big Shot Free Member

I wouldn't recommend Royal Mail either, they can't even get delivering post right these days, let alone leaflets.
    Post is always going missing and wouldn't rely on their delivery services for your business.

Posted: Nov 24, 2009 By: Richie N Member since: Nov 1, 2006
  10. Alcsl

Alcsl UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I'd say do a solo drop with a reputable leaflet distribution company, as others have pointed out with RM you get loads of other leaflets in the same bundle, and I do the same - straight into the recycle bin.

Posted: Nov 24, 2009 By: Alcsl Member since: Jan 25, 2008
  11. Hedgie

Hedgie UKBF Ace Free Member

No, it works out at £38 per 1000:)

Posted: Nov 25, 2009 By: Hedgie Member since: Aug 17, 2007
  12. Hedgie

We charge £35 per 1000 solus but then our overheads are low and YES we do deliver :)

13. Hedgie

I'm off to buy some bananas then :rolleyes:

14. Connections_Media

I done the calculation wrong ..my bad

Posted: Nov 25, 2009 By: Connections_Media Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  15. patientlady

patientlady UKBF Ace Free Member

Where does your business usually come from? Is it b2b or domestic or is this style of business just random? I just think a random 13000 leaflet drop seems dare I say a cop out and a waste of £500 plus printing costs. How about approaching all the local building firms and introducing yourself and giving them a business rate. Seeing your skips outside and signs for landscaping will be advertising in itself...

Posted: Nov 25, 2009 By: patientlady Member since: Aug 25, 2009
  16. Hedgie

:D:D:D Happens to us all

17. Connections_Media

£38/1000 for them to be distributed with all sorts is quite expensive

Posted: Nov 25, 2009 By: Connections_Media Member since: Oct 28, 2009
  18. Hedgie

Yes and considering they have the staff and infrastructure in place already to deliver them with little extra effort then it seems high.

We deliver Solus for £35 per 1000 and £25 for shared.

19. Joe E

Joe E UKBF Regular Free Member

Really! the average amount for a person to deliver per day ranges from 500-1000 depending on area and target market! a working day is usually between 7-9 hours so are you really saying you deliver for less than the minimum wage???

I think anyone/company who says they deliver Solus for less than £60 per 1000 is either not delivering or delivering very little plus they have not got a viable sustainable business.
    It's all very well saying that overheads are low which is obviously great in itself however that does not give you a licence to pay less than the min wage to staff to do the work.
    The only explanation I can see would be is the company owner is delivering by themselves and not using staff, but to me that's no more than just being a busy fool.

In terms of the shared option to make that viable you got be looking at a least 3 or more to be able pay the staff properly plus make some money for the company.
    Personally I think a shared option gives clients a disservice! it's been proven by diluting distribution the responses rates drop with a varying degrees depending on how well it was targetted and how good the copy was.
    I always always view everything from my clients pov and thier target market pov and work to marry our ethics and our service into those views and requirements.

Posted: Nov 26, 2009 By: Joe E Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  20. seanstevens

seanstevens UKBF Newcomer Free Member

My old man delivers 1000 for £40 in the Windsor area. He does it cheaply because he is a retired postal worker and it is something he can do that is stress free and keeps him busy. He knows the streets of his town better than most delivery companies having been involved in helping to set up postal codes over the years. He can even talk to people who want leaflets delivered in the area and advise on the areas with the biggest population of kids, older people etc.

Is he busy, Yes
    Is he a fool, No

Posted: Nov 26, 2009 By: seanstevens Member since: Jul 22, 2009