Royal Mail bulk posting

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by conveneworks, Feb 10, 2010.

1. conveneworks

conveneworks UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi all,

I run a relatively new business and am about to embark on a series of direct mailings. Having browsed through the Royal Mail site for the sort of discounts they offer bulk mail, I have seen both Cleanmail Advance and Franking as potential options.

Has anyone here had experience of trying to mail between 2000 to 4000 items as a "first pass" mailing?

From reading the Royal Mail site and also the vendors of franking machines, it appears to make economical sense to use those methods for either very regular mailings or higher volume (i.e. circa 10,000+) mailings. There doesn't appear to be many ways to save costs on sending the kinds of volumes I require either.

... as a secondary point, there's a bit of description around the application of a postage licence number and it appears that these are printed at envelope manufacturer's source - can these be applied "via laser printer" ?

All advice appreciated,

Will
    Posted: Feb 10, 2010 By: conveneworks Member since: May 20, 2009
  2. bridges

bridges UKBF Contributor Free Member

I have no experience of sending out such large amounts of mail, but I do know of a service that mails your letters on your behalf, and do cater for mailings of your size, if you are going to be doing a few of these larger mail shots then I would imagine then it would not be so good.

That said I would have a look at them their website is at http://www.pc2paper.co.uk I haven't used them myself but it's always best to check out all options!

Good luck!

Vick
    Posted: Feb 10, 2010 By: bridges Member since: Jul 6, 2009
  3. british steve

british steve UKBF Contributor Free Member

Try one of the private mail companies like City Link, Business Post or UK Mail. We use City Link and pay about 17.2p per letter. Better service and cheaper than the post office. Do ring around - we had several different prices from the above providers!
    Posted: Feb 11, 2010 By: british steve Member since: Oct 1, 2009
  4. conveneworks

conveneworks UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys - I had done further research into what RM offer and they would like a business account setup - which has a prerequisite of £5000 projected spend per annum. Needless to say, for a startup that doesn't mass market, thats pretty high.

They offer Cleanmail for non-business account people, but require a franking machine. Having done a bit more research on franking machines I ended up almost getting a Pitney Bowes trial, until I came across a flood of negative feedback for them and their customer service.

I'll have a look around the alternative, private sector carriers now (City Link et al). A local post office has offered to process the mail if I give them the business, which is always a good sign. As a middleground, even SmartStamp is good (for the time and overheads savings side).

Cheers,

Will
    Posted: Feb 12, 2010 By: conveneworks Member since: May 20, 2009
  5. neildigital

neildigital UKBF Regular Full Member

Hi there

I use a company called Flight Logics, they are very good and can arrange postage / deliveries of items. They can advise you of which services are open to you, due to the numbers of items you wish to send and give you the price comparsions for each.

Call John Wells on 0118 936 9169

Mention me, Neil at Scubaprint, always good to let them know i am thinking of them.

Neil
    Posted: Feb 12, 2010 By: neildigital Member since: Apr 30, 2007