General Business Forum Brought to you by 9 Spokes
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, make sure to follow us on Twitter! Say hi and we'll be sure to follow back!

Response rates for a leaflet drop?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Harris_arcade, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Harris_arcade

Harris_arcade UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering what the response rate for a leaflet drop would range from in percentage terms...?

Thanks,

Harry..

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 By: Harris_arcade Member since: Aug 10, 2011
  2. Philip Hoyle

Philip Hoyle UKBF Ace Free Member

Targeted leaflet drops with attractive offers may get you in the 1%-5% range.

If you blanket leaflet without any targeting and without an attractive product/service and you'd be lucky to get 1%.

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 By: Philip Hoyle Member since: Apr 3, 2007
  3. We Do PPI Claims

We Do PPI Claims Guest

from my past expirence i would say lesss than 1%, but as the other poster mentions if you have an amazing offer targeted correctly you may get 5%

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 By: We Do PPI Claims Member since: Dec 23, 2009
  4. am:pm graphics

am:pm graphics UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

I think as others have said..between 1-5%. If your flyer is well designed and the copy is good I think a 2 or 3% response rate would be realistic.

Hope that helps
    Pauline

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 By: am:pm graphics Member since: Jun 14, 2006
  5. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

But only if it's targeted. A double glazing offer delivered to a social housing estate isn't going to get anything. Nor is an offer of a gardener to a block of flats (had this one last year!)

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. am:pm graphics

am:pm graphics UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

Well obviously! ;)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
    Posted: Aug 10, 2011 By: am:pm graphics Member since: Jun 14, 2006
  7. Harris_arcade

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I do the marketing for a gas and electricity comparison site, which basically lets people compare what they are currently paying compared to what they currently pay. Its impartial and free to use and households can obviously save money by simply phoning a freephone number or filling out the details online..

With people looking to save money (increasing cost of living and higher energy prices) I was just wondering what sort of a response we may get via a leaflet drop...? I would have thought it may be quite high with people wanting to compare?

Thanks,

Harry.

8. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

Almost zero.

Apart form the recent bad press for the utilities doing this, it's dead easy to use the internet to look for comparisons. They aren't going to read the leaflet then pick up the phone and arrange a appointment when they can do the same thing in a few seconds on a comparison site.

Ask yourself this: what do YOU do with all the junk that comes through your door?

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. Harris_arcade

Well,

We were just toying with the idea, I have no idea if it would work or not as I have no personal experience of it in our industry....:)

Regs,

Harry..

10. dvitendi

dvitendi UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I've designed a lot of flyers for local business around me, and I have to say that there's mixed reviews. I suppose it all depends on the product or service you're offering. If there's a demand for what you offer, I'd expect closer to 5%...

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 By: dvitendi Member since: Aug 8, 2011
  11. Harris_arcade

Well there is a demand for what we do as over 5 million households switch utility supplier every year (using a handful of comparison sites)

However, according to research by Exeter University many households do not even know that you can compare and switch to a cheaper alternative which is why we thought of doing a leaflet drop..

Well, if such a leaflet came through my door and there was a freephone number that I could call and I could potentially save, yes I probably would consider it..

12. dvitendi

dvitendi UKBF Newcomer Free Member

As mentioned above, be prepared for a low percentage return overall. The decision is entirely up to you..

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 By: dvitendi Member since: Aug 8, 2011
  13. Harris_arcade

So percentage wise we are talking about under 1% here?

14. joecranejoe

joecranejoe UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I would agree with the other posts with not posting to areas that wouldent require it (larger houses, council owned etc).

If you could target an area which is "middle class" and with the cost of living shooting through the roof an offer to save money could go down well...

If you make the leaflet BOLD, uncluttered and straight to the point...

Joe

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 By: joecranejoe Member since: May 16, 2007
  15. GlenCB

GlenCB UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I think the thing to remember is this:

Doing one leaflet drop in one area will not get you good results. if you do it again in a fortnight, and then again a fortnight later, thats when it becomes more successful. Its about brand exposure. Leaflets get you about 10 seconds of your audiences attention maximum, the first time. after that they may hesitate because they recognise the branding, and moreso the third.

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 By: GlenCB Member since: Aug 8, 2011
  16. matt seymour

matt seymour UKBF Newcomer Free Member

It depends on the quality of the leaflet and what you are advertising, but it does generally tend to be around 1% in my experience.

However, a bad leaflet in the wrong area and you won't even get that.

Posted: Aug 10, 2011 By: matt seymour Member since: Jan 5, 2011
  17. Harris_arcade

Thanks for the feedback guys. Well even if we do get a 1% response rate that would be ok. I`d hope for more though!

I guess we`ll give it a go and see what happens...:D

Harry..

18. Harris_arcade

So you think we could get 5%.?

19. Tax-UK

Tax-UK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Normally between 1% and 3%

Posted: Aug 11, 2011 By: Tax-UK Member since: Aug 5, 2011
  20. Joe E

Joe E UKBF Regular Free Member

As others have said 1%-3% is the norm, I have had clients who have had higher but their offer was an in demand product and the copy was top notch and thats what you have to consider bottom line it's a jigsaw puzzle get all the components target market, copy, printing and distribution done correctly then ROI can be really good sometimes better than expected, get it wrong even just one of things wrong it can diminish what can be achieved.

I cannot stress enough before you even think about distribution that the target market has to be identified, profile your target customer & where do they live? next is copy, copy will make or break your campaign my advice is get a professional to do it there are some great ones on here Paul Dean & Scott Chapman spring to mind.
    Next is printing, get the best quality stock you can afford the letterbox is sometimes a harsh environment I'm sure you dont want to represent your company by having a screwed up bit of paper presented on the other side of the door because of thin and poor paper quality.
    Lastly Distribution if you are going to do them yourself depending on how much volume you are distributing make sure you wear decent pair of walking boots or cushioned trainers it sounds obvious but you'd be amazed how many distributors wear unsuitable footwear.
    If you are going to use a professional company I say make sure they are just that! don't go for the cheapest most likely a big % will be dumped if you do I would choose Solus delivery as someone pointed out your leaflet will get 10 secs at best so if you get it shared with 2,3 or 4 others that dilutes it down to 3-4 secs and might not be seen at all if its lost in the middle.

Make sure the company provides a daily reporting and/or GPS tracking report so you you can be assured they are being delivered when and where you want them to be.
    Also see if they have checkable testimonials and call/contact them!!

I hope that's useful

Posted: Aug 12, 2011 By: Joe E Member since: Oct 24, 2007