Recommend a phone company or service please

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Robert74, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Robert74

Robert74 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I currently have

4 staff sharing 2 BT feature lines (+we have a fax line on separate bt contract that is not a part of this equation)

I would like to be able to:

Pay less on line rental if possible!
    Transfer calls internally
    Make outgoing calls while the primary number is in use
    Not have customers get an engaged tone
    Any suggestions please? Or recommendations for a company to try?

I don't mind payi out a little bit if new hardware is required to do all this, but im sure there must be a better way than having multiple hand sets on desks and passing phones!

Many thanks!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
    Posted: Apr 27, 2010 By: Robert74 Member since: Jan 14, 2009
  2. accountancyextra

accountancyextra UKBF Newcomer Free Member

If you have a half decent upload speed on your braodband connection, speak to CJD (member on here) at Voipfone, he'll save you loads and provide you with a great scalable solution. We've used them for about a year now and rate them really highly

Posted: Apr 27, 2010 By: accountancyextra Member since: Dec 14, 2007
  3. tomsk

tomsk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I have recently purchased a telephone system from 1strate - good value and great service.

Hope that helps :)

Posted: Apr 27, 2010 By: tomsk Member since: Nov 16, 2009
  4. Bri

Bri UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I may be able to help, I'll PM you.

Posted: Apr 27, 2010 By: Bri Member since: Oct 9, 2008
  5. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

Second the voipfone suggestion. Value for money on the services offered is outstanding, and unusually in the telecoms world the pricing is transparent with no lock-in or other nasties.

You will have to shell out for IP phones, don't skimp on that.

Posted: Apr 28, 2010 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  6. stugster

stugster UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Voipfone or Gradwell
    jobs a goodun

Posted: Apr 28, 2010 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  7. stugster

stugster UKBF Newcomer Free Member

In order of my preference:
    Snom 300
    Grandstream GXP2000
    Yealink SIP-T20P

We've just developed a system that pops up a page with the callers details when the phone rings (if the caller number is known). It's still in beta at the moment, but if this sounds like something you want, you should go for the Snom (as the software only works on VoIP telephones that post to a URL on actions).

Posted: Apr 28, 2010 By: stugster Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  8. smo

smo UKBF Ace Free Member

If you wish to stick to conventional calls rather than VOIP (bear in mind the stability and reliability of your internet connection) then i can wholly recommend Panasonic phone systems, we have 2 incoming lines, 4 internal extensions, fax and modem to the bank all connected through it.

It does everything you ask, and we have multi line answer machines, music on hold etc. It PC programmable too which makes setting up a doddle.

For our lines we use BT still, but our calls go through TMS and cost us much less than any other provider ive seen. Our monthly bill is about £5 - which for a mail order company always on the phone to customers is pretty good.

Posted: Apr 28, 2010 By: smo Member since: Apr 3, 2010
  9. martin001

martin001 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I found CJD / Voipfone on here a couple of years ago and have never looked back since. - I have ran bigger companies / small operations etc etc and not only exclusive use Voipfone in everything I do, but have recommended colleagues too.

It's just so easy to set up, the costs are negligable, and for the scenario you have described I would have thought it would be a perfect solution.

I speak as I find and Voipfone are bloody marvellous!

Posted: Apr 28, 2010 By: martin001 Member since: May 28, 2008
  10. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

Ok, so now I'm embarrassed (but thanks to all above :).

If you call 020 7043 5555, one of the chaps or chapesses will talk you through what's possible and what it'll cost.

Ideally for that set-up you'd use two lines and two ADSLs so that your voice and internet usage is separate and you can have as many simultaneous incoming/outgoing calls as you can physically manage. But if your use is low or you work from several locations you may get away with one connection.

Posted: Apr 28, 2010 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. martin_electrician

martin_electrician UKBF Newcomer Free Member

An other option is to buy your own pbx system which will enable you to:
    -record your own intro recording when someone calls (welcome to my business, press 1 for sales, 2 for complaints..),
    -internal calls
    -put calls on hold with music
    -group hunting (all phones ring until someone answers)

In terms of features you pay for what you get but some of the cheap systems have most of the standard features
    e.g.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PBX-Multi-lin...tem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item439bb16da1

Posted: Apr 28, 2010 By: martin_electrician Member since: Jan 25, 2009
  12. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

All of that (and a lot more) is done simply and cheaply with hosted VoIP without the need to buy, install and maintain onsite equipment. See:

http://www.voipfone.co.uk/switchboard_and_hosted_PBX_services.php

Posted: Apr 28, 2010 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  13. RBS

RBS UKBF Ace Free Member

Any other voip providers here on forum?

Posted: Apr 29, 2010 By: RBS Member since: Jul 13, 2009
  14. accountancyextra

accountancyextra UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Might be interested in this Stu. Been looking for something that links the call to our hosted CRM (Dynamics), but have been unsuccessful so far. This may be an alternative

Posted: Apr 29, 2010 By: accountancyextra Member since: Dec 14, 2007
  15. PoshTime

PoshTime UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I'd also recommend the IP phone solution. I was very sceptical but it works superbly and and has some very cool features, like the ability to email voicemail messages.

We use Soho66 and recommend them highly.

Posted: Apr 30, 2010 By: PoshTime Member since: Apr 19, 2010
  16. icomplete

icomplete UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi yes we are a VoIP provider - which includes VoIP line, call diversion, call recording, voice mail in email, call logging etc £5 per month, pm if you would like to find out more :)

Posted: May 4, 2010 By: icomplete Member since: Nov 3, 2009
  17. RobSmillie

RobSmillie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

All the above makes loads of sense, main point is the reliability of your company on the phones. VoIP is the future but there are no guaranteed fix's if your internet connection goes down. Downtime and interuptions are becoming less frequent but still happen, computers will just reconnect but will your customers?
    As a small business how important are your calls? if you can't work without the phone go for a traditional system, we don't do Panasonic but they are cheap and bullet proof.

Posted: May 5, 2010 By: RobSmillie Member since: May 5, 2010
  18. Millway Communications

Millway Communications UKBF Newcomer Free Member

We sell the Panasonic range through our online store - 1strate Communications

Posted: May 5, 2010 By: Millway Communications Member since: Apr 21, 2010
  19. Adam_Webb

Adam_Webb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Hi,

I work for another VoIP provider (VoiceHost).

To answer the question about what happenes if your line goes down, we normaly supply one line through BT and another with LLU.

This way, if BT goes down, you carry on working through the LLU connection and or vice versa.

In the worst case scenario, your exchange goes down and if this was the case, traditional telecoms wouldnt be able to make calls either.

Also, with our Hosted PBX platform you can have Automatic call forwarding, you would then be able to direct your calls anywhere you needed to should your site go down.

If you want to discuss our Business platform more, give us a call 0800 52 00 878.

Cheers all,

Adam

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 By: Adam_Webb Member since: Jun 2, 2010
  20. martin001

martin001 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Do any Voip companies offer services involved in premium rate sex lines, if I were to look at setting up such a service. (No I wouldn't be on the end of the phone!)

Posted: Jun 2, 2010 By: martin001 Member since: May 28, 2008